Adrian flux insurance quote joke

snail

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B200
true, but if the insurance costs were at least partly reflected in the value of the car, it would make sense.
Why? Is your car going to do less damage to another vehicle in an accident because its older?

Some of the older Merc tanks could do a serious amount of damage compared to newer models with decent crumple zones.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
true, but if the insurance costs were at least partly reflected in the value of the car, it would make sense.

a few years ago when i worked on the railway, i had 2 cars. the one i used for work i paid £40 for yet i was quoted £800+ to insure it!!!!! that was my citroen zx. yet my 210 cost me half that and was worth about 10 times what id paid for the zx at the time!!!

It's partly based on the original cost of the vehicle when new. This reflects the repair costs. As we know you can buy an S class for pennies but it still costs ££££s to repair/maintain

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
It's partly based on the original cost of the vehicle when new. This reflects the repair costs. As we know you can buy an S class for pennies but it still costs ££££s to repair/maintain

I do not think that is the case as the cheapest for my V70R is £240 and its worth £2k max, and I pay £435 for the CL with a value of £26k

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
I do not think that is the case as the cheapest for my V70R is £240 and its worth £2k max, and I pay £435 for the CL with a value of £26k

That's why I said the original purchase price when new?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
In that case for a quick sale i will offer £1500:D:D:D

I am keeping that one Paul, its hardly cost me a penny in the 13 years that I have had it, its a hard ride, but it does shift,,, all of my cars are group 20 :(

paul hayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
all MB sold..V70R now ;-)
I am keeping that one Paul, its hardly cost me a penny in the 13 years that I have had it, its a hard ride, but it does shift,,, all of my cars are group 20 :(

:lol:...it was worth a try Malc;)...good car and your right to keep it

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
Why? Is your car going to do less damage to another vehicle in an accident because its older?

Some of the older Merc tanks could do a serious amount of damage compared to newer models with decent crumple zones.

no, but because the value they will have to pay out will be less. if a car is lower value, an insurer has less financial risk. for example, you buy a £60k car new and scrape a gatepost on your driveway and cause £5k of damage, it costs insurer £5k, 10 years later with the same car, the same thing happens. the car is only worth, say, £3k now, so insurance writes car off and has saved £2k!

same applies if you hit another car. yes, you might cause £5k damage to your £60k car and another £3k damage to a £12k eurobox, but in 10 years your £5k worth of damage is now a £3k write off and the £3k damage on the eurobox is now either £3k if its a newish car, or, if its 10 years old, a £500 write off, both of which they then sell on to breakers etc, reducing losses yet further

wheelie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E280 Sport
Pete,

There are a myriad of "get out of jail free" cards that the insurance companies will use mate. One that I found the last time I renewed saved me £360 on my premium.

I am a freelance I.T. analyst/consultant etc and if I put my occupation as an I.T. consultant, that comes with a higher premium than if I have it as an I.T. analyst.

Same role different names depending on the contract I am currently working on.
I was stunned at the difference.
A few other things that make the premiums rather silly these days is the shear volume of bogus "neck/whiplash" claims that can add £5k onto a payout.

So "post code" lottery is a factor.
Job title is a factor.
Car is a factor.
Points is a factor.
Location the car is kept is a factor. (cheaper on the road than on your drive as its more difficult to steal the keys when you don't know which house!).

I agree in principle with your reasoning but how about this?

You buy a £60k car and hit a Bentley? £100,000 car, the costs of repairs on both cars plus the whiplash/claim nonsense plus the legal costs plus the "bull$hit" factor = high cost of insurance.

In fact it's generally considered a "minefield" so it's worth a little "experimentation" chap ;)

PS. Don't assign logic to a situation where clearly none exists ... insurance = quagmire ;)

Last edited:

w44nty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270CDI 2002,C180 Kompressor
Just out of curio I went to Moneysupermarket for a quote.

I got 86 quotes cheapest being £206 (AA) dearest £1386

thats for fully comp,protected,no claims no compulsary excess £250 vol excess even includes everything except legal cover which I opted out for.

That for my ML270CDI

Last edited:

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
the lowest i ever paid for insurance was when i was 21 on a fiesta 1.8 diesel. £385 fully comp, 4yrs NCD, covering me FULLY COMP on ANY car. if i had that sort of cover now, £500 wouldnt seem too bad!

DavePrentice

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C230K 2002
Insurance

Cheap deals can be tempting, but always remember to check the excess!

Sky Insurance

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MR2 Mk1.5
Cheap deals can be tempting, but always remember to check the excess!

Indeed, and more importantly check the level of cover. Some insurers are guilty of selling striped back policies at a lower cost. You often get what you pay for, eg foreign call centres, no legal cover, no courtesy car, no commuting use etc

lanciaman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 Cabrio (A124) - 1994
I recently went with A Flux. £280 fully comp for the 300 CE 24v on 3k miles and the 129 SL500 on 1500 miles. Not bad I reckon.....

Robbostanhill

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E270 Estate 2003 and *Her* C220 W203
Insewerants...

Flux quoted £1250 for Boris, after one year and a pending (non fault advice).
Couldn't beat the quote because there was an outstanding "Issue" of responsibility/blame yada yada yada. Underwritten by Markerstudy Ltd. TPF & T
Approached Markerstudy direct, and a 20% increase FFS!

Completed the online app for Tesco, told no lies, got confirmation from Markerstudy & Flux, neither showing claim was made.
£630....Fully comp with windscreen...and NO NCB !
Guess who got my hard earned £££s

Last edited:

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom