Advice - E63 (W212), CL63 (C216) or CLS 63 (C218)

xocbc

Reaction score
Hi there.

My second mod-life crisis has arrived so in a couple of months time I’m going to buy my first real AMG having previously owned two diesel Mercedes, one of which an AMG sport which embarrassingly my wife referred to as “my husbands AMG”

I’m in the UK and have a budget of up to £30k. I’ve been looking at what’s available for the last two months and I think I should be able to get a good facelift E, CL or CLS with 40-50k miles for that money.

Problem is that I’m not sure which.

Most of my mileage is likely to be longish distance on dual-carriageways/motorways probably with my wife and son so any of them will be a comfortable cruiser (so in that respect the CL appeals), but also want something fun when I’m by myself on normal roads (probably the E is better for that). I’ve always liked the look of the CLS and some of the facelift ones look great as so the facelifted CLs.

They will all be 5.5 biturbo or varying power, not averse to a trip to MSL for a tune but don’t want anything too mental/loud.

Any advice in terms of:
Buying guides/what to look out for, what to avoid, experience of any of them?

I’ll be keeping my current car for short cold start school runs etc, not bothered about MPG and to an extent maintenance having owned two Mercs and a BMW 540i V8 in the past but I know that some options (I.e. ceramic brake are eye watering to replace).

Ideally I’d want a car with contour/massaging seats and an LSD but could always have the latter fitted.

Any advice greatly appreciated

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Have a read of my E63 Biturbo thread. You won't go wrong with any of your choices.
£30k should get you a sub 30k mile 2014/15 E63. The E63s comes with LSD but probably £4-5k price increase over the non S. Its around £1500 to have one fitted at MSL. A remap is £699 inc before and after dyno runs. Expect 660 -680bhp.

OP
X

xocbc

Reaction score
Have a read of my E63 Biturbo thread. You won't go wrong with any of your choices.
£30k should get you a sub 30k mile 2014/15 E63. The E63s comes with LSD but probably £4-5k price increase over the non S. Its around £1500 to have one fitted at MSL. A remap is £699 inc before and after dyno runs. Expect 660 -680bhp.

Great thread thanks - read it before and just done so again, including the MSL post - I guess if I can’t find the right S I could always get a remap and an LSD as you say. I’m not going to be buying for probably 2-3 months but having a good look online every day to see what’s about. Biggest problem is likely to be living in Scotland and most are for sale at the other end of the country so I’m researching to avoid too much unnecessary travel (assuming we’re allowed to) later in the year. Reluctant to spend £30k on something I’ve not seen and have it delivered as you can imagine

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
^ Wise move not rushing into things and living so far north makes the choice far less unless you are prepared to travel a long distance.
I'm at the opposite end of the UK and was lucky enough to find my car at a dealer in London.
Spending up to £30k on a car I also wouldn't consider buying unseen. But the search is fun, and one website I would recommend is auto village where you can search by model/location/price high or low etc. Here is their current list for E63's between £24k and £30k

Any questions about the E63 and the M157 Biturbo engine, just ask.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom