Advice needed please

Mrtibbs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E320 Estate 2005
Hi all
Not been on for a while, but we are going to sell my wifes Jeep Cherokee and think we would like to buy a Mercedes estate. I am thinking something like a E320 CDI or a C270 CDI, with auto and all the toys. We do not want to spend too much money as it is a second car but don't want to buy trouble either.
Can any of you knowledgeable people tell me which is the better car (in your opinions obviously) and any issues or faults to look out for with either model?
We would prefer the larger car because of its carrying capacity, but we would really appreciate your considered thoughts and opinions.
Many thanks in advance.

Keith

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
C270cdi will be very reliable, an E320cdi I6 5g will be too, but the V6 7g ones can be more money pit like. Whats wrong with an E270cdi? Bags of power and all the space you could ever want

Last edited:
OP
Mrtibbs

Mrtibbs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E320 Estate 2005
Hi both
Thanks for your replies. Don't want to spend more than £3-4K at the moment, been looking at a 2001 Y reg E320 with about 150K miles on it. Really trying to swap my wife's Jeep for a Mercedes estate without chucking loads of cash at it as well...
Not really decided on a definite car, but the two I mentioned seemed to be good cars with good economy and power...

Keith

toby1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 CL420 C140; 1997 SL500 R129
E320 CDi is a great motor - the rusty body is the weak point on these (W210). Buy the best example you can afford.

270 CDi is also a good engine.

OP
Mrtibbs

Mrtibbs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E320 Estate 2005
I went to look at an E320 today in Cheshunt. It took me ages to get there and when I arrived it unfortunately didn't look as crisp as the photo led me to believe. The dealer knew that I was a bit strapped for time, on my way to a hospital appointment in Welwyn Garden City (long complicated story, don't ask...) and it was parked in front of another car against a wall so I couldn't have a good look or a test drive, he knew that I was coming as I had called him en route to advise him of my ETA. All very disappointing really. Then he told me that he wouldn't be interested in taking our Jeep in PX, I wish he had said that before I made the journey, actually I probably wouldn't have traveled all that way if he had told me...It looked a bit old and tired, it had 145000 miles on it and the arches were all rusty. The dealer said that he would get the rust sorted out and painted, but still it would need more... It had a very badly corroded alloy wheel and one or two other area's of rust that ideally needed repairing, and as it is 100 miles away from me I am doubtful that I would return to view it again.
I shall continue to look... :)

Keith

Top Bottom