Advice on diagnostic equipment

OP
badger_wazzala

badger_wazzala

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
63 AMG
Autel AP200 looks interesting and good value - looks like you get info on your first car for free then additional cars are around 21USD per year - be good to get some idea of how good this is
regards
Mike

The AP200 isn't bad at all on first impressions. I view live data and can record this until I press 'stop'. Any recorded data can be sent to my printer or stored on the iphone as a pdf.
This will be good to evidence and store for over a week of driving before I have a remap so I have some comparables/base numbers. If not for me, then for a tuner to reference if needed.
No issues connecting or setting up, so far so good.
I'm yet to test the service functions, e.g. electronic handbrake release, but will let the forum know if it actually works or not. If it does then I'd say £60 well spent. I can't see a hand-held sub-£1k performing as smoothly as an iphone either.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Thought I'd order one direct from Autel as there are some intriguing features.
Website says UK stock.
Email come through 24 hours later to say being shipped from China.
Email sent requesting cancellation as I don't want to pay UK prices for Chinese stock I can buy cheaper direct from China.
Email received 10 minutes later saying despatched and requesting if I really want it cancelled.
Email sent saying yes cancel.
Email received saying they can't cancel as it's been dispatched.
Email sent saying fine, I'll just refuse it at the door then and courier can take it back.

Paid by PayPal so nicely covered.

I'm somewhat unimpressed with Autel. Not going to bother with it now.

OP
badger_wazzala

badger_wazzala

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
63 AMG
I think most electronic components are manufactured in China and sent to uk for assembly either way so it’s all marked-up. I ordered mine via amazon for sixty quid. Next day delivery :alien:
It’s seems decent and provides heaps of live data. I’ve also had no issues communicating with any modules which I’m pleased about as I have endured headaches before using vcds (licenced Copy). Mainly due to my incompetence with the software of course, but the autel seems user friendly for a technophobe.
Shame they fed you bs.

Last edited:

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002
A DS-150 type multiplexer is quite a useful thing to have for diagnostics.
I bought this one from China and can confirm it is working 100% unlike the even cheaper ones.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1820298871.html

If you select UK shipping there is only one item to choose which is the correct one.

OP
badger_wazzala

badger_wazzala

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
63 AMG
A DS-150 type multiplexer is quite a useful thing to have for diagnostics.
I bought this one from China and can confirm it is working 100% unlike the even cheaper ones.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1820298871.html

If you select UK shipping there is only one item to choose which is the correct one.
Wow that’s cheap!
Thanks for the info. What else is required with this, do I still need xentry? I’ve seen a problem too: I only use Mac’s and the kits I’ve seen on scummy ebay require windows. Is yours suitable for a Mac?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Star/Xentry is windows only.
Some sellers use VMs so you could run a Mac with a VM but that can be problematic to get working.

OP
badger_wazzala

badger_wazzala

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
63 AMG
Using a Mac is the computer version of lockdown....
I turn any of my macs on from complete 'off' and the average boot time when I can open and use any application is an average of 12seconds. Windows machines take painful amounts of time to boot, more so if they force an update you weren't expecting and it's un-usable for the next 45mins (yes I have fibre bb).
I use macs at work all day and after years of telling a friend of mine I didn't want one, I took his advice and tried one. I've never looked back and now own four.

It's like comparing an AMG to a Dacia Duster.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My Surface laptop only takes 15 seconds to boot, recognise my face and log in. Hardly ages.
My work Lenovo Yoga 380 takes longer but that's the build the desktop boys put on.
You can turn automatic updates off if you don't want surprises (though to be fair it does tell you on shutdown if an update is pending).

OP
badger_wazzala

badger_wazzala

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
63 AMG
My Surface laptop only takes 15 seconds to boot, recognise my face and log in. Hardly ages.
My work Lenovo Yoga 380 takes longer but that's the build the desktop boys put on.
You can turn automatic updates off if you don't want surprises (though to be fair it does tell you on shutdown if an update is pending).
It was the constant problems with windows updates that broke me. I was sick of losing sound/track pad features etc, and when windows 10 was forced onto my machine for the second time because microsoft hid embedded files on my hard drive I called it a day and closed the lid.
For three years I've never had a single issue with a mac, any of them. I'm not well versed in computing beyond what I need to know and I find apple products quite intuitive. We all like different things, otherwise there would only be one thing sold and bought. Women for example, or men for that matter. Including deodorant, chocolate and wallpaper.

OP
badger_wazzala

badger_wazzala

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
63 AMG

Don't you have a sticker on your web cam and a foil hat to prevent spies looking back at you?

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002
Wow that’s cheap!
Thanks for the info. What else is required with this, do I still need xentry? I’ve seen a problem too: I only use Mac’s and the kits I’ve seen on scummy ebay require windows. Is yours suitable for a Mac?

Due to the nature of the Chinese software e.g. dodgy, I have an old win7 laptop just for that.
It doesn't need to be great spec. Mine is an HP 8460p which can be bought for as little as £50.
These multiplexers work with various software such as Delphi, autocom and WoW.

There will be next to nothing available on OSX.

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002
I have a nasty old netbook on windows 7 that I used for vcds. Will that be too bab?

Is that the VW/Audi software? I'm just looking at that now.
I think The Delphi/WoW are a little higher but not much.

Processor Intel® Pentium® 4 1.7 GHz or better (or similar)
Operating System Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista®, Windows® XP* SP3
Internal Memory 1024-2048MB RAM (depending on operating system)
Hard Disk Space 1500MB
Screen Resolution 1024 x 768 or higher
Connections and Communications Internet connection, Bluetooth (SPP) or USB
Third-party Software Microsft .NET Framework 3.5, Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.0 or later

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Don't you have a sticker on your web cam and a foil hat to prevent spies looking back at you?
Nope. I'm not paranoid.

And the lack of software support is one reason why I'd never buy a Mac, along with the totally closed "Do it Apple's way or not at all" ethos.

If you like it then fine but it's not for me.

OP
badger_wazzala

badger_wazzala

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
63 AMG
I turned my pc on one morning to use to deliver a lesson, and the dreaded circle appeared and said I had over an hour of updates (I didn't choose to have these, they were forced just like windows 10 was). 'Updates' were already turned off too so this really ****ed me off. I absolutely hate windows 10. I don't like android.
Yes I should've been born in 1910.

OP
badger_wazzala

badger_wazzala

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
63 AMG
Is that the VW/Audi software? I'm just looking at that now.
I think The Delphi/WoW are a little higher but not much.

Yes VCDS was the new VAGCOM. I've given up on Audi/VW though and gave the software to the new owner of my last car.
I've blown the dust off my old netbook and the mygenius software has installed 'easily' (it's like playing with a sega master system) so I'll get hold of an ebay xentry fake and a 'muliplexer'.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My Autel AP 200 arrived yesterday so had a little play on the 230.
I'm moderately impressed.
The setup is a bit long winded requiring you to download 2 apps and 800MB of application data. 5hen it wanted to do a firmware update straight away. Took about 30 minutes call in to get it setup.
Running the software against the r230 it picked up every module and did a full scan showing how many errors on each in the home page. Seems reasonably quick too.
Interface is reasonably intuitive though it does over report fault codes as it interprets an event message as a fault. This meant there appeared to be a significant number of fault codes against some modules but in reality there was one or two tops (result of pulling fuses to check them).
It appears to have the ability to program and delete keys which is nice (if potentially dangerous). Can force DPF regens (not tested) and calibrate the steering angle sensor (which it wouldn't do on the 230), disable SBC (not tested) and has the ability to do something with Electronic parking brake (not tested).
Obviously you can also reset the service light.

I paid £49 in the end from the main Autel UK website. For the money I'd have to say that (so far) it's very good.

Last edited:

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom