Advice on Oil pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anonymous

Reaction score
Hope someone can give me some advice - I recently bought a 1988 230TE Automatic, 70K, FSH.  When hot the oil pressure is, I think, good - between 2 and 3 at idle in Drive, 3 at anything above 1000rpm.  My concern is when I start the car the oil pressure gauge jumps to 1 and then climbs to 3 over a period of about 10 seconds and the engine sounds a bit rough during this time.  Is this a) Normal for age/mileage b) Could be a small problem - have it checked out c) Woops - contact the Bank and talk about a remortage?  Any advice would be really appreciated.  

Andy

Reaction score
Website
www.mercedesservicing.com
Hi Paul

Who is your current mortgage lender? Sorry for my sick sense of humor.

1988 230TE. The oil pressure is ok. The noise could be
1. Timing chain & tensioner problem.

2. Hydraulic tappet problem.

If its timing chain problem, couple of hours work & replacement parts will cure your problem. As long as the timing gears are in good order.

If you read this forum regulary, have a trawl through some of the subjects and you will see my thoughts on tappet problems. I think the title is "problem with hydraulic tappets".

Get it checked professionaly, as if it is the timing chain. They can snap. Then you will have to visit the bank.

Regards
Andy@ www.mercedesservicing.com

OP
A

Anonymous

Reaction score
Just to say a belated thank you for your advice.  It took a while to get sorted but it was a failed tensioner - which I was able to get fixed under warranty.  Glad I asked and glad that you were able to point me in the right direction - before something grim and expensive happened!  Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom