Advice please: Bad Radio Interference but only when dashcams are on!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Many electronic gadgets emit RF noise. Get an old calculator and out it next to a transistor radio - the noise is pretty horrendous.

Sub - you could try taking the cameras off, hooking them to a battery power source (like one of the recharge packs for a phone) and taking into the house to a radio in the house and see what noise it generates.

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
If I recall rightly somewhere in one of the Dashcam threads Our old friend Malcolm commented on this and he ended up making a ‘shield’ of sorts to go round the camera itself as it interfered with the SL where the aerial is on the front screen ..

Worth a search in here ..

I also get limited stations when the dashcam is on in the E cab but it’s not enough to make it unusable ...

You could try positioning the cam in different locations to see if you can minimise its effect as well..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
If you disconnect all add ons and then try the FM for a reasonable period I would have thought that would test the amp as working correctly, or not.

Thanks thats what I did.

New USB charger port on or off = good reception
New USB charger port on or off With both leads connected = good reception
As above with Dashcam connected but NOT powered = good reception
As above but Dashcam powered = terrible reception

Deduction something in the Dashcam emits severe interference.

I will try the ferrite clip on rings, and then give up.

As I never listen to the radio, I can still use my dashcams and CDs :)
And when I sell the car I will just remove the Dashcams. And explain to the new buyer.
I dont see this as an issue, as its not part of the std. car.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Many electronic gadgets emit RF noise. Get an old calculator and out it next to a transistor radio - the noise is pretty horrendous.

Sub - you could try taking the cameras off, hooking them to a battery power source (like one of the recharge packs for a phone) and taking into the house to a radio in the house and see what noise it generates.

Thanks Alistair I did try usung my 2000 mA Battery pack.
Same interference with the std. 4 m leads or even wirh a very short 300mm usb lead . Same result.

If the ferrite rings dont work then Imwill give up on it.
Not majorly important for me.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
If I recall rightly somewhere in one of the Dashcam threads Our old friend Malcolm commented on this and he ended up making a ‘shield’ of sorts to go round the camera itself as it interfered with the SL where the aerial is on the front screen ..

Worth a search in here ..

I also get limited stations when the dashcam is on in the E cab but it’s not enough to make it unusable ...

You could try positioning the cam in different locations to see if you can minimise its effect as well..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Appreciate the kind help.
But as I never use the radio, and I like the look or hidden aspect of the cams as they are.
I will live with it.

The main thing to me is its not the amplifier tuner. So the amp, was repaired properly. :):)

kid-jensen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml320CDI 2007
It does sound like the interference is generated by the (digital) circuitry in the camera itself.

Does it look like the camera is easy to take apart? If you can get the case off, you can spray the inside with conductive paint (ebay) which should keep the interference from coupling with the antenna (or antenna amplifier) at the rear of the car.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
It does sound like the interference is generated by the (digital) circuitry in the camera itself.

Does it look like the camera is easy to take apart? If you can get the case off, you can spray the inside with conductive paint (ebay) which should keep the interference from coupling with the antenna (or antenna amplifier) at the rear of the car.

Appreciate the suggestion but I am sure I would damge the casing there are no screws etc.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Try wrapping it in foil temporarily. Mine does the same btw, I never use the radio either so doesn't bother me. I do wonder if the DAB antenna in my rear bumper would be better without the interference.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom