Advice please mercedes s 320 se December 2005.

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
You can check whether the car raises and lowers using the button by the gear shifter. If its like my airmatic (totally trouble free in over 5 years incidentally) both red lights showing is the lowest setting, one light slightly higher, no light is the highest setting.

Take a look when you first arrive to see if it is sitting evenly and not lower/higher on one or more corners. The airmatic pump should raise the car silently. Undue noise may point to a tired pump.

As John above, airmatic is arelatively simple and mainly trouble free system. I'd take it over ABC anyday simply over the cost if either goes wrong.

I had one from new, sold it to my sister at 36,000 trouble free miles. Only failure was a xenon bulb replaced in warranty.
She ran it for years ... and racked up 143,000 miles ... ( I told her to sell at 75,000).

Her only problem was at the end ... some of the baffles in the exhaust, came loose so resonated badly at 1,200 to 1,400 rpm ( impossible to avoid in an auto! ).
So she sold it as the Merc dealer wanted £1200 for a new exhaust!

Guess the new owner slapped on an aftermarket job, and laughed all the way to the bank.

Other than that it drove beautifully ... flawless.
She was so impressed she shelled out for a new S Class AMG.

As for the suspension, worked flawlessly all that time.
Whether thats normal ? Its the only S Class Saloon I ever bought.
Nice car, lovely peaceful ride.

I dont think Air suspension is anything like dear old ABC! (I openly admit ABC scares me ....)

OP
mercmancdi

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
www.schnauzersinireland.com
Your Mercedes
2009 E250 cdi 08 cls320 cdi ,2007 e280 cdi '2005 E 280 CDI ,VW TOUAREG ,JAGUAR S AND xTO NAME A FEW
I had one from new, sold it to my sister at 36,000 trouble free miles. Only failure was a xenon bulb replaced in warranty.
She ran it for years ... and racked up 143,000 miles ... ( I told her to sell at 75,000).

Her only problem was at the end ... some of the baffles in the exhaust, came loose so resonated badly at 1,200 to 1,400 rpm ( impossible to avoid in an auto! ).
So she sold it as the Merc dealer wanted £1200 for a new exhaust!

Guess the new owner slapped on an aftermarket job, and laughed all the way to the bank.

Other than that it drove beautifully ... flawless.
She was so impressed she shelled out for a new S Class AMG.

As for the suspension, worked flawlessly all that time.
Whether thats normal ? Its the only S Class Saloon I ever bought.
Nice car, lovely peaceful ride.

I dont think Air suspension is anything like dear old ABC! (I openly admit ABC scares me ....)

Cheers , well it’s my first s class have drove , clk , e class,s. before so took the plunge on this dec 05 with 90000
fully documented miles , and a super
body , bad wheels but it’s really more
something to work at in the odd chance I get , there’s a lot of illness
in the family and fiddling at a car
helps keep me sane. My daily driver is a v w Tiguan.
Just need to sell my e class now.

OP
mercmancdi

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
2009 E250 cdi 08 cls320 cdi ,2007 e280 cdi '2005 E 280 CDI ,VW TOUAREG ,JAGUAR S AND xTO NAME A FEW
I doubt that will be difficult in that colour

Mr Bell I hope your right as don’t want 2 lying about all winter. Lol.
The Christmas money’s tied up in that s class.
Still don’t know much about working the airmatic. But it due to be delivered tomorrow so be reading the book.

Last edited:

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Cheers , well it’s my first s class have drove , clk , e class,s. before so took the plunge on this dec 05 with 90000
fully documented miles , and a super
body , bad wheels but it’s really more
something to work at in the odd chance I get , there’s a lot of illness
in the family and fiddling at a car
helps keep me sane. My daily driver is a v w Tiguan.
Just need to sell my e class now.
Sell the Tiguan too!

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Lol don’t think so.
And drive the W220. Being serious, those cars like to be driven & not sat adorning the driveway. Besides which, you’ll soon dismiss the Veedub as just another prolemobile ;)

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
Enjoy the car Mercman. You've examined it to within an inch of it's life, but you were obviously hooked from your first post. It looks a handsome beast and you'll enjoy the distraction of bringing up to it's best.

Mine's tucked away for the winter now, but if I want to smile I'll just open the garage door. If I get a sunny dry day, I've give it a run and spend the whole day smiling from ear to ear. We're lucky to have such toys.

OP
mercmancdi

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Enjoy the car Mercman. You've examined it to within an inch of it's life, but you were obviously hooked from your first post. It looks a handsome beast and you'll enjoy the distraction of bringing up to it's best.

Mine's tucked away for the winter now, but if I want to smile I'll just open the garage door. If I get a sunny dry day, I've give it a run and spend the whole day smiling from ear to ear. We're lucky to have such toys.

Cheers it’s my first s class, had to wait to find one that was clean with not too many mls and I could afford.
It might not have heated seats or massage seats buts it’s a small sacrifice to get one that age rust free.
Looking forward to getting it as good as I can and enjoying the odd run out.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom