advise on buying

jamesD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
merc clk convertible
Hi Guys can you give me some advise on the CLK convertible No older than 2005 I like the Elegance trim.Your input will be very interesting THANK YOU BYYYYYYYYYYYYYHOW

Royston59

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 CLS 350 CDI AMG Sport & 2014 C220 CDI AMG Sport edition (Wifeys)
Hi Guys can you give me some advise on the CLK convertible No older than 2005 I like the Elegance trim.Your input will be very interesting THANK YOU BYYYYYYYYYYYYYHOW

JMO but elegance has a certain luxury feel about it, avant garde perhaps more functional and possibly sporty.

Avant garde tend to come with "blue glass" that often doesnt work to well with a grey (or blue) interior.

The 2005 Elegance should be a good car...check out the options list to see how the car left the factory.....you might find a nice car but bland once the initial buy buzz is over or get lucky and still be finding new buttons a year later...:D

You might want to narrow your search in respect of engine size....it matters..;)

ATB

Last edited:

dreadlockdw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk 500 cabriolet 2005; E280 1993
Hi I'm 3 months into having a 2005 CLK 500 Elegance Cab. It is a bit unusual in being an Elegance with factory-fitted AMG wheels; AMG body kit; parameter steering and lowered suspension. An ideal compromise because my other half has the wood trim she wanted, but I still get the sportier ride that normally only comes with the Avantgarde. Incidentally mine has what I call the "boomerang" rear lights, which I love, the newer cars have a simpler, still very nice, pattern.

My understanding is that Avantgarde always comes with blue tinted glass and the Elegance, ours included, with green.

We tested a 320 engine and would have been happy enough with that, but then found and talked ourselves into the rarer 500 after the opening of a "dangerous" third bottle on the evening after our test drive. There can't be much wrong with the 200's in my opinion, because there are so many of them, but really, a 4 cylinder engine in a Merc....? Oh and there's little or no benefit in terms of RFL in having a smaller engine, although of course you will visit the pumps a little less frequently.

Newer than 2005 you will increasingly find 280 and 350 models. Make sure you know all about balancer shaft issues on these engines. So long as this doesn't apply to your prospective car, or indeed it has been properly sorted, I hear tell they are very good engines.

COMAND is a good option. My understanding is that the unit in a 2009 car will be the same as in my 2005 car. Mine also has CD changer in the glove box - otherwise you have to remove the DVD from COMAND in order to play a CD. If you're an iPhone/MP3 player fan check for pre-fitted jack socket in glove box which feeds into AUX in COMAND. If not fitted then can be a relatively easy DIY job I'm told. If fitted perhaps best to bring along a male jack to male jack lead in order to try it out - many complain the input is too low to get a decent volume.

Also don't be fooled by a Bluetooth option in the COMAND itself. I gather it will not connect to a phone and is just for a headset connection. Bluetooth for phone, working with COMAND and showing in the driver's speedo display, will need the connector in the central arm rest plus an additional unit to plug into it.

Our car also has Parktronic, which I recommend. The corners of the car aren't very visible and it isn't easy at the best of times reversing a convertible with the roof up, although the CLK is better than many.

Quite a few CLK's I've seen have cracks in door speaker covers where the door has been slammed on the belt buckle before it has retracted fully. Might want to check for that.

There will be lots I don't know, but I did do a fair bit of research on this model before buying. If you think I can be any further help, please ask

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
Avoid the 270 CDi - too rattly, too rough and too blimmin unreliable if mine's anything to go by....

(did they do a diesel in the convertable?)

dreadlockdw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk 500 cabriolet 2005; E280 1993
Oh well, it doesn't look like our input was very interesting...

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
I reluctantly suggest that you stick to the 220 Cdi models with the 5 speed box...
The 320 Cdi is a sublime engine but my recent kiss with the 7 speed box (on-going) has left me with a VERY bitter taste in my mouth regarding them.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom