Advise on handsfree and ipod integration

Taronski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E 220 CDI Estate
Afternoon, I recently bought my first (second hand) MB and I am delighted with it. It is a E 220 estate from 2004. It has a what looks like the standard CD player (plus 6 disc changer).

It came with a Bury handsfree sitting on a bracket which I am not particularly fond of.

So what I want to try to achieve ideally is to:

1. lose the bracket
2. Be able to connect at least 3 different mobiles
3. drive the phone from the command buttons on the steering wheel/radio
4. have a jack to connect my ipod so that it plays on the car sound system

All of this adding as little plastic as possible to the inside and keeping as much cash as possible in my pocket.

I have looked at parrott solutions which would do the trick but they would add lots of stuff on the dash which I'd rather not. The more hidden the better for me.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thank you in advance,

Taron

drdre78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes c200 200
welll if got command with bluetooth you can get bluetooth cradle and you can get and ipod kit for it to and alll works off steering and command

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
His: 2018 E220 d; Hers: 2016 SMAX
My W211 came with exactly the same Bury setup, I took it out and put a Parrot 3100 in. Cost about £65. Only thing on the dash is a display about 3/4" tall x 1 1/2" wide, let me know if you are interested and I'll take a picture of it in situ.

Works fine with my Iphone.

Only snage (with the iphone) is that it doesn't accept voice commands.

Welcome to the forum.

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
...connecting to the steering wheel controls means you can loose the display, but the setup costs about another £70 before fitting.

Sorry, no idea on costs associated with ipod integration.

stripe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320cdi Brabus D6
I fitted a Dension GW500 with the optional bluetooth kit. This give me Ipod, usb, bluetooth streaming and a set of RCA connections.

So far so good, the only buttons that don't work are the dashboard telephone buttons. The CD player buttons work for dialing and answering and incoming calls are displayed on the CD display.

OP
T

Taronski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E 220 CDI Estate
Thanks folks,

Here are my follow on questions.

I asked mercservice in Tooting (which I thought were very good today with a couple of repairs they did) their thoughts on this and they told me that is unlikely that my car is prewired for phone. In 2004 you had to order this feature. So although I have the phone commands on the steering wheel they arent plummed in. Which according to them means that I will never be able to drive the phone from the wheel - unless I spend a fortune. (see photo). This seems to be the case based on Stripe's case too.

Q1 How can I find out if my car is prewired or not? If the phone commands on the steering wheel are somehow longlined to the dashboard?

Q2 In my experiments I believe the Bluetooth unit is the Bury device that is attached to the bracket since when I disconnect it there is no longer a device to pair with. Is that the case? (see photo 2 and 3)

So if I cant drive my phone from the wheel I have to options,

1. Part with 369 + install for the Dension 500 which seems to be very neat.

Q3 Stripe: With the Dension there is nothing on the dash right? where are the USB and Aux in ports? DO you have a pic?

2. Or I may have to succumb to placing some plastic (but removing the horrible bracket) so Richard, Q4 could you post a pic on how and where you placed the controller?

Q5 I have also seen in Halfords a Parrot that has a aux in cable the 9100 http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_725369_langId_-1_categoryId_165571 does anyone see how the cable look on the dash? I can't visualize where I would plug in the ipod (not iphone).

Thank you so much, great advice already

Taron

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 38
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 44
  • photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 41

The Hooded Claw

Reaction score
How about this for a "Work Around"..............bury do an Iphone cradle if you swopped out yer Ipod for an Iphone & got the Iphone cradle you'd have covered all your needs.

Keith

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Taron,

For Q1, push the button on the wheel, if the message is 'Function not available' you haven't got it. This can be confirmed by looking in the top section if the centre console - if no connector - guess what...

I've no idea what the cradle is for on the Bury, you can get bluetooth modules, I didn't go for this as it uses its own pathetic speaker that I couldn't hear. The Parrot uses the car's spaekers.

Sorry about the quality of the pic, taken in the dark with a flash

A popular location for the ipod connector is the glovebox.

Attachments

• parrot.JPG
    parrot.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Pontoneer

Banned
Reaction score
As above , get the Thb Bury take & talk cradle for iPhone and - job done - it connects to the phone via Bluetooth and has a 3.5mm stereo jack socket on the bottom to provide line out from the iPod part of the iPhone

DSCN0950.jpg

I wouldn't downgrade from Thb Bury to any other make of carkit .

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
If you want nothing on the dash then there is the Nokia CK7W kit. That has a small button that can be hidden in a mutitude of places but no display and no integration with the wheel controls. The wheel controls are pretty pointless anyway. I have pre-wire and a bluetooth cradle in the centre console but to be honest I rarely use the wheel controls. More often than not I use the buttons on the stereo.
If you want something to take the ipod and integrate more then probably something from Parrot or Denison would do the trick.

BTW Derek - That S class dash - Wonderful takes me back to ours in the 80s but if you don't mind me saying, a bit of pledge would really bring the sheen on that gorgeous walnut back.

Pontoneer

Banned
Reaction score
I've since replaced some of the wood that was less than perfect , it does get treated to some Topps' scratch remover polish , followed by Sheraton's beeswax every now & again which brings it back nicely .

That picture was taken a while back , the Treo has now been made redundant since the TomTom app came out for the iPhone so no further need for both devices , and a bit less clutter .

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom