JabrielRaja

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350 w166 2012
Picking up an ML W166 in a couple of days. Dealer says it has comand online but doesn't have DAB. Realise I should have checked this before but either way, I would have bought it anyway. (Was a good deal overall.)

Will find out soon enough what the score is but until I know, I did some digging around and I didn't find many solutions I liked.

The obvious options are:

1. Have comand online retro fit OEM DAB
2. Fit a USB DAB solution.
3. Fit something like this - https://www.alpine.co.uk/p/Products/digital-media-station381/ilx-f903d

Issues (for me personally) with these options:

Option 1is not cheap and I'm not a fan of the MB infotainment system. Everything from the sat nav to the DAB and telephone system. Just don't think it's intuitive.

Option 2 isn't suited to me. I worry I would leave the car unlocked and someone will nick the USB bit and render the solution useless.(I'm guessing it's that simple to unplug and remove.) this is still likely to cost £6-700 from comand online and only add DAB.

Option 3 could be installed in the area where the volume control knob is. This allows for the existing functionality to be retained and you add additional functionality. E.g. DAB, (arguably) better sat nav, and a few other bits. I'm not fussed about video in motion so wouldn't use that.

Just not sure it would look any good.

What are your thoughts?

OP
J

JabrielRaja

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350 w166 2012
Wanted for add some more background. I cover a lot of miles each year and have had DAB in every car since 2007 onwards. So not having it now would suck.

Also, I listen to Spotify a lot so having it accessible without handling the phone is a bonus too.

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
I'm not sure if the W164 & 166 are the same, one company list them as being the same but you'll know better than I will as I don't have one but if they are you could consider one of the two below. I had the Xtrons unit in my Audi S4 and bang for buck as they say it was excellent value. They may not quite have the quality of finish of the OEM or big brand units but for the money they're hard to fault I'm seriously considering fitting a Seicane unit to my R230, only because Xtrons don't appear to list one for my car.

http://xtrons.co.uk/pb78m164p-andro...h-7-display-custom-fit-for-mercedes-benz.html

https://www.seicane.com/in-dash-car...ass-w164-with-radio-tv-bluetooth-ipod-si-9305

OP
J

JabrielRaja

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350 w166 2012
The w164 is different. There is pioneer or alpine (can't remember which one) head unit which one can buy with a Mercedes specific surround to make it look like It isn't aftermarket.

The only similar option for the w166 is a 10" Chinese non branded unit.

OP
J

JabrielRaja

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350 w166 2012
I'm not sure if the W164 & 166 are the same, one company list them as being the same but you'll know better than I will as I don't have one but if they are you could consider one of the two below. I had the Xtrons unit in my Audi S4 and bang for buck as they say it was excellent value. They may not quite have the quality of finish of the OEM or big brand units but for the money they're hard to fault I'm seriously considering fitting a Seicane unit to my R230, only because Xtrons don't appear to list one for my car.

http://xtrons.co.uk/pb78m164p-andro...h-7-display-custom-fit-for-mercedes-benz.html

https://www.seicane.com/in-dash-car...ass-w164-with-radio-tv-bluetooth-ipod-si-9305
These look very similar to the w164 Alpine/Pioneer option I was referring to in my previous post.

Looks good!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
If you have A/V in on your head unit you can also look at one of these:
http://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/CK-O_DAB2011-V2-TS.html

Receives DAB then puts it through the A/V in RCA connections to display station info and route sound in.
Control of the system is via remote control so aside from an IR receiver there's nothing to see externally.

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
The w164 is different. There is pioneer or alpine (can't remember which one) head unit which one can buy with a Mercedes specific surround to make it look like It isn't aftermarket.

The only similar option for the w166 is a 10" Chinese non branded unit.

Ah ok sorry about that I was going by the description on the Seicane site where under description it says for W164 & W166.

rpalmeida

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mercupgrades.com
As you say, there is factory DAB (loads of money). Aftermarket fully integrated DAB (in2digi.com) which is about £699 fitted. USB DAB (which is under £400 can't remember exactly what) and not obvious from outside the car as its all out of sight if we fit it, or a system that retransmits DAB over FM (like LostKiwi suggest) which is cheap but fiddly. Or some aftermarket head unit.

I'd normally recommend people who contact comand.co.uk or comandonline.co.uk to use the in2digi.com product unless they really hate a small antenna on the windscreen, or the USB DAB if their head unit won't support the fibre optic connection for in2digi.com.

I hope that helps

Cheers
Richard

OP
J

JabrielRaja

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350 w166 2012
Thanks Richard. As all the options are quite pricey, I'm going to see how I get on with FM/AM for a while and then decide.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom