Aftermarket Headunit

bhavinp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219/2010/350/Grand Edition
Hi Guys,

Hope you're all good and well.

I have a 2010 CLS Grand Edition (W219) which has the COMAND system.

I am currently looking for the best quality replacement head unit as the current one has always refused to play nicely with my iPhone's even though I am using the ones recommended by MB.

Also, I wanted to fit a reversing camera - hence thought it would be better to get an all in one solution.

Any tips or recommendations will be received with pleasure. :)

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Something double DIN by Alpine or Kenwood would be my choice

B

brick10

I have an Alpine sat nav headunit also fitted with a reversing camera and very pleased with it, i would recommend it.

OP
B

bhavinp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219/2010/350/Grand Edition
I have looked at the Pioneer, Alpine and Kenwood units and they all look pretty good.

I used to be a huge aftermarket fanboy in the days of wandering around in an E36 coupe.

These days I tend to leave things alone hence having put up with the standard stuff for ages.

Having said that, someone pointed me towards 2 similar looking / spec'd units. They're both from stateside.

The Avin Avant2 and the Dynavin N6-MBE-MOST.

Anyone have any experience of either in the UK please?

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Having said that, someone pointed me towards 2 similar looking / spec'd units. They're both from stateside.

Personally I wouldn't buy anything from abroad like this, too much hassle if it goes wrong, plenty of used units on E-Bay.

Also try these guys http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/

Installation kits http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/install-adaptors/mercedes/cls

PovertySpec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDi 07/57

The Avin looks very expensive for what it is. I wouldn't touch a Dynavin head unit with yours ;)

This is the best I've found so far (I haven't searched for a while - this has been in my watched items folder for 6 months or so)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271832590768?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

UK stock, 30 day returns and 2 year warranty and the seller told me (responded within a few hours) that they would
supply instructions for me to unlock the boot loader and get root which is pretty much essential with anything Android.

If you don't know what that means stick with Pioneer, Alpine etc!

I've been searching for a decent Android head unit for 18 months, that's the closest I've got to buying one.

I decided to wait for the next generation of Android head units which should appear later this year.

Last edited:

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
Hi Guys,

Hope you're all good and well.

I have a 2010 CLS Grand Edition (W219) which has the COMAND system.

I am currently looking for the best quality replacement head unit as the current one has always refused to play nicely with my iPhone's even though I am using the ones recommended by MB.

Also, I wanted to fit a reversing camera - hence thought it would be better to get an all in one solution.

Any tips or recommendations will be received with pleasure. :)

If you have Harman Kardon this isnt going to be very straight forward as there are no speaker inputs behind the head unit. Also you will seriously affect the value of the car if you change to an aftermarket one. If you really want to change then look at alpine, they really are at the top of their game. Build quality is way better than Kenwood, Pioneer or Sony etc. Id avoid any of those Chinese clone things. they really are cheap, nasty rubbish.

When you say you cant get the current system to play well with an iphone, are you using the Mercedes media interface? email me your VIN number to sales@comand.co.uk and I can come up with some options for you.

The comand unit in a 2010 CLS is NTG 2.5 and these work very well with iphones.

Wheel

Reaction score
Website
oldmusicvideos.blogspot.com
Your Mercedes
Mercedes B200 Sport
If you have Harman Kardon this isnt going to be very straight forward as there are no speaker inputs behind the head unit. Also you will seriously affect the value of the car if you change to an aftermarket one.
All you do is hang on to the old head unit and put it back when you come to sell the car.

Last edited:

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
All you do is hang on to the old head unit and put it back when you come to sell the car.

Its not as simple as that as to convert the wiring to accept an aftermarket head unit is considerable if you have HK and or NTG1. Converting it back is just as complex. It involves running cabling from front to rear for power, CAN, speakers etc.....

Wheel

Reaction score
Website
oldmusicvideos.blogspot.com
Your Mercedes
Mercedes B200 Sport
The point is, that you need not let it hold you back having a decent head unit.

If all you ever worried about was future re-sale of the car, then you'd leave it in a garage all day and night and never drive it.

Truth is, there is a lot to be said for enjoying every part of your car.

And an Alpine head unit is a good way of doing that.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom