Aftermarket HUD - thoughts?

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'm toying with the idea of fitting an [aftermarket] HUD, again.

What stopped me in the past is, the necessity to have a reflective sticker applied to the windscreen, and more importantly the fact that, most, if not all available models were lit up like chrimbo trees, whereas I only wanted to see my speed, not a full OBD diagnostic report in every possible colour ...

I have now found a suitable unit, which only displays GPS speed, and practically nothing else, at least nothing even remotely distractive: a few tiny letters at the top and 'MPH' at the bottom - otherwise it's only speed, in large white digits.

Still am not sure about the sticker, so the question is, to those who have one of these - does the sticker on the windscreen bother you, how does it look from outside, etc, etc. I know it's highly subjective, but still would love to hear your personal experience.

o_O

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
You need the horizon and a weapons crosshairs as a minimum David. How else can you lock on photon torpedoes?

OP
Z

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I try not to let 'em out in my car, the Gliptone pad thingy can only do so much ...

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
I don't know if this is really relevant but,
I bought a windscreen sticker to reflect the HUD from a smart phone (apps available), for the same reasons.
It had no value in daylight and at night when there was a vague effect it was difficult to keep the smart phone in a position that matched the sticker size wise.
Something I hadn't considered though was the angle effect. Unless the projecting device is parallel to the screen the diverging image is either too narrow at the bottom or too wide at the top.
If it is paralell then it might well obstruct the sticker.

Another thought is that if the sticker is unobrusive it'll be too small to be of value, and of course it being larger means... well.

It looked out of focus too.

But let us know if yours is succesful.

OP
Z

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Now, that I have the unit, I'm going to experiment with sticker position, etc.

It is also important that, I do not see the actual HUD module, otherwise it'll bug me to no end ... so, it must be hidden from view by the instrument cowl (I don't think I'm ready to cut a whole in the dash, to hide it just yet) :shock:

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom