Aftermarket SatNav+reverse camera+parking sensors

OP
A

adyuaic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI SE Coupe/2005
Understood. Maybe some styrofoam? Tomorrow I'm going to collect the front bottom spoiler AMG grille together with the clips, and I've ordered all the clips for the hatchback trims as well (hopefully I've got the right ones).

Did you used carpet underlay all over the places, including pillars, or just sporadically?

And about snipe nosed pliers, did you used something in particular? Can I use that silicon spray?

clips_grille.png

Last edited:

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
The pliers are just the narrow blade (for want of a better description). Nothing special just a way to open them out again.
The metal clips are the sort of 'A' shaped that are often left inside their slot and need pulling out and sliding back into the plastic cover. It's not realising this has happened and then trying to push the cover back that can mis shape them.

Insulating the Viano for that insular and quiet feeling is a job on my list that tends not to become first priority, so as I remove panels for what ever, in the rear mainly, underfelt is pushed into the voids before re assembly.
If by styrofoam you mean polystyrene, I wouldn't enjoy the those particles that get everywhere as it disintegrates.

OP
A

adyuaic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI SE Coupe/2005
The metal clips, 'A' type, are already there, and quite well fixed.
By styrofoam I mean something like this: https://www.teknis.co.uk/product/el...AMwU8_7KYgisYCmVyxiov290KXe_-1KhoChmkQAvD_BwE

In the meantime, I have found the right satnav unit I think, which fits properly on my car. Worth 300£?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Android-...101533?hash=item41df87ed5d:g:-pYAAOSwOrBa0CpT

Or

http://xtrons.co.uk/pa77m209p-7-hd-...-dvd-player-custom-fit-for-mercedes-benz.html

And here's the reverse cam: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XTRONS-C...684629?hash=item419743e9d5:g:-zwAAOSwNSxVbnmA

Last edited:

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've only tried the cams with UV LED's and they were a waste of time. I prefer to upgrade my reverse lights to high output LED's. They work v well at night with the camera, and it's a good way to wake other drivers up if your trying to get into a tight spot when sometimes they would pretend they haven't seen you.

My cam is located high up just below my LED brake light, it's good up there. When I tried to mount one inside in the roof lining it wouldn't see through the rear screen at night and be useless.
Larisa's rear screen is sloped more and her camera works well mounted on the inside, and as long as it views through the sweep of the rear wiper it will always have a clean view. The outside one's will get dirty (and maybe rusty), especially with a diesel mo mo.

I also prefer 140 degree cameras, that aren't easy to find nowadays. My cameras usually cost me around £8 - £11.

The foam looks good, although different foams have different insulation characteristics, the 'u' value 'may' be a good indication as to how well a sound insulator it might be.

OP
A

adyuaic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI SE Coupe/2005
oh, so I can mount the camera inside the car as well? good idea :)
I think I'm going to go ahead with the carpet underlay from a carpet shop today. It won't affect the wires, right?

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The 2nd 'no buttons' is erisin, I linked to £'s purchase, if you go any other currency eBay / paypal will charge to convert to the different currency, and it is always more than the estimated cost given.

Both look to be same or similar guts. buttons = 7" screen, no buttons = 8" screen.
8" display wins for me but,
with Android units you may find that flipping between apps means going back to home screen more often than not. Not a lot of button presses but for me having say 4 buttons that take you directly to Sat Nav, Tuner, and 2 other user programmed apps would be an advantage. Maybe that will be next year.

While the button model has Sat Nav and Tuner for me the Disc is redundant. Download your media files to the 32 gig internal memory and you won't need the disc again.
Also the number keypad will be duplicated, certainly within BT and maybe other apps, so surplus to requirements.

Something that I've found, even on the 10.1" display (actually more so for some reason) is that many of the top row screen controls are too small while driving.

The 'no button' doesn't look as oem but for me still wins, your choice though.

OP
A

adyuaic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI SE Coupe/2005
I'd go with the 8" one as well, as I don't need any dvd/cd's, and it's a bit bigger. Another plus is that they offer (according to the advert) uk warranty/support.
I guess that all button functions are added into interface to this particular unit?

In the meantime, I found a cheaper version for 178£, but with 16GB ROM and 2GB RAM. How slow is this system? - I think I found the answer:

Last edited:

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It's quad-core, not octa-core - that's the main difference and the bottleneck.

16GB of storage (why the Chinese keep calling it ROM? - it's not a CD!) and 2GB of RAM is OK-ish: you can always add more storage via microSD card.

OP
A

adyuaic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI SE Coupe/2005
so do you reckon I'm going to get bottleneck quite often? I won't be installing many things on it (just that iGO app), so maybe it will do the trick? It will be mainly used by my wife anyway, so satnav, calls & music.

Such a shame that I can't add an aftermarket on my jag :(

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No personal experience - mine is octa-core, just what I heard.

Also, the DVD drive will generate some extra heat (comparing to 'no moving parts' unit).
Plus the full double-DIN size behind the screen, won't leave much space to handle cables, and will have reduced heat dissipation (again, compared to a single DIN cage behind the screen).

OP
A

adyuaic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI SE Coupe/2005
understood. so which one do you recommend, that fits my car? Trapezoidal facia.

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The one M80 linked above, from carparts-mall - it's the Erisin own eBay store.

OP
A

adyuaic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI SE Coupe/2005
oh, yes, you've posted a pic already here :), silly me.
In the ebay advert the plastic sides looks bigger than in your pic. I think because your car it's a bit different?

Last edited:

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You gets whats you pays for,
if yuse is looky.

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
In the ebay advert the plastic sides looks bigger than in your pic. I think because your car it's a bit different?
Yes, the shape of centre console is different in W169

OP
A

adyuaic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI SE Coupe/2005
I think I'm going to go ahead with the full touch screen one, especially for the 4gb of ram, as I don't want my wife to face a situation where it freezes or has a lag right when you need it most. Also because if we don't face any issues, we'll keep it a couple of years, so worth investing a bit in something that you use and enjoy all the time.

OP
A

adyuaic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI SE Coupe/2005
Done. order placed, arriving next week. In the meantime, about the reverse camera: isn't plug & play only? Does it require additional wiring?
And how about the wires from the satnav unit down to the boot?

Same thing for the satnav unit: Is it plug & play, or do I have to "fix" any wires?

And, in order not to open another topic on this, how can I prevent carbon wrap from unstick? Same as in this video:

This is the vinyl: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01HIP7BR4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - maybe I need a better one?

Last edited:
OP
A

adyuaic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI SE Coupe/2005
I had a look online and I saw that it's recommended an edge sealer to prevent the peeling. Did you used this kind of product? If so, which one? :D

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
M80 already described the wiring and the best route from camera to the head unit, above ;)

My camera is fitted in a [modified] tailgate handle, so I had to run the video signal wire, through the rubber hose (conduit) into the cabin, and then as above. If you do that, you'd need a flexi electrician wire, to fish the cable through. Silicone spray helps a lot.

I only used carbon wrap as a temp measure, while the parts were undergoing hydrographics treatment - I believe we've touched on that at the beginning of this thread. I don't think, you can ever achieve the same quality and durability, with a wrap, particularly for small complex shapes, which handled daily.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom