Mcobinad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 Designo Black paint, R500 W251, CL600 W216
Hello everyone,

How old were you when you bought your first Mercedes? For the senior citizens, how do you feel seeing junior citizens driving more luxurious benz? Do you resent them? Can medical or law students drive a luxury Mercedes? As an employer, would you employ a young graduate if he/she turns up in a model like these E/CL/CLS/S for a job interview even if they were competent at the interview? How should people dress up when driving a luxury Mercedes?

Does mediocre attire bring down the prestige of luxury cars? Can people wear hoods in an S class? Can people wear baseball caps backward in a luxury benz? Why are people who wear hoods labelled as deviant when in a luxury car? In our society, people tend to ask what you do for a living when they see you pulling up in a £50 - £80k car. Why is this??

In the western world, we have fundamental human rights to express ourselves liberally, but there is something in the society that holds us back from doing just that. Are we conditioned subconsciously for fear of prejudice, stereotypes or stigma?

Expression "I want to wear my hood in the car to protect my ears from cold. Oh, i wouldn't do it because Mr. A will think am a gangsta"! Why do we think about the impression others will have about us instead of just doing what we want to do for our own betterment & safety? Is our absolute human right exercised in this case?

Is there an age limit to drop these negative apprehensions about people before it becomes late or do we consciously or subconsciously pass it onto the next generation??

Please folks, am conducting a research at the moment and your thoughts will help me analyse how our human rights are exercised in it's full potential.

Thanks for reading & sharing your thoughts
thumbSanta.gif
!

roofless

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 e220 estate
Why am I reading this ?

lamby

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 C220 coupe evo auto
Im 31 and drive a 53 plate c coupe I drive with a hood up to give that false impression of a hoodie in a semi decent car

s999sws

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E280 CDi, 2006
If I drive with my hood up I wouldn't be able to see where I was going.
What is the point of this post?
I am somewhat confused .
SWS

SSR S500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2002/V8
I bought my first S class at 21 and admit I did get some funny looks from people as I often dress casually. Not so much of an issue now at 27, but that could also be because the model I have is over 10 years old now.

I don't think anyone should judge someone they don't know simply because of the car they drive, although I'm sure we're all guilty of this at times. One person may just use/treat there car as a means of getting from A to B, whereas others treat them as a hobby and genuinely enjoy driving.

As far as those wearing hoods whilst driving I don't quite agree, nothing against wearing hoods whilst walking down the road in cold weather but, simply because hoods can get in the way whilst driving especially when changing lanes or at other times when you have to look over your shoulder.

Zneb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Past: 98 C250TD Estate. Current: 05 C180k daily & VW Corrado Vr6 Fun.
i'd honestly like to help, but your post is so incredibly random i'm not confident i could finish a reply before midnight!

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Mercedes nowadays are cheap...so the inevitable will happen...end of...innit.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Mercedes nowadays are cheap...so the inevitable will happen...end of...innit.

Well I am 77 drive a big old S class, where a hood and always a chick in the passenger seat

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
haha i thought that read 27. Well there's not much in it ;)

N

npuk

OP has clearly stated the reason for his post is he is doing research .... probably into whether or not he should wear his hoody when driving his CLS.

Do as you desire, protect your ears from the cold and dont worry about what others think.

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
In sunny hertfordshire (not far from you) the only questions i got asked was why at 23years old I had an old, individual mercedes benz worth £2k when my job meant i could have got credit on a new £50k one or atleast stretched to something that enhanced my status like some new Golf Tdi...what was i thinking not buying the same car as everyone else?

There seems to be more questions asked of youngsters/older people who don't have rather than those that do have in today's society which is very sad and just leads to debt, waste and economic slavery to purchase the next "must have".

I can only contribute to your research that I am "happier" for ignoring all peer pressure and driving what was best to me no matter what and hope you and others do the same.

Life is too short!

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Had my first Merc at 22. When I worked at McLaren we used to get a special rate on brand new Mercs. I had a C220CDI Sport coupe Evoloution Panorama with AMG styling as my first and had a SLK, CLK and an SL whilst I was there. Have never had any other make since.

Various company cars when at the dealers and since Ive left I have had 202's, 210's, 211's, 168's, 203's most of which I have bought and sold on to make a buck or 2. Back in a C250TD sport estate now as running it on bio fuel.

I would rather drive an older Merc than a newer vauxhall or Ford for example.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I must admit that driving the CL does take you back in time, it handles better than the RR''s and Bentley of earlier years, just the shear space in the thing and the silence is just so nice.

Troon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A big one
Mcobinad: you seem overly concerned with appearance. I bought my E-Class estate (does that count as a "luxury Benz"?) for space and practicality reasons: three kids, don't want a people carrier. A Skoda was also on my consideration list but didn't make the cut because it was too expensive.

Whilst I appreciate the quality and heritage of my car, the image does nothing for me. I'll drive it wearing whatever I want to, and have taken a pile of junk to the dump in the car and on the roofrack, unloading it in dirty jeans and T-shirt.

Older Mercs, particularly the S123 & S124, were the vehicle of choice for "old money" folk, who wanted something unpretentious yet high quality to waft around in.

Live your own life, not someone else's expectation of it. ;)

Last edited:

Silver_Star

Reaction score
Rural Leicestershire near where Pork Pies and Stil
Your Mercedes
W203.006, S211.208 Land Rover 90
I was 23 when I got my first and current Merc.

I can remember pulling up to work the first day in it, and few people commenting "Where did you get the money for that". One colleague commented that he would love to have a nice car like that but "couldn't afford it"...he had just bought himself a brand new Clio! I was thinking to myself you will have lost more in depreciation in less than 2 years than this cost me to buy outright!

Another colleague asked how I could afford the fuel and insurance. I just laughed and said I bet it is a darn site cheaper for me to run this than your Fiat Punto. She look bemused when I told her that it would also be more economical on fuel.

I have had all the stick/comments like "why are you driving an old mans car", "why are you driving a taxi". To me it is all like water off a ducks back. I have never be a sheep and followed the masses. I couldn't care what people think of me. If somebody judges a person by what they wear, what car they drive or what they look like without even knowing them they are really not worth bothering with! Yes the car looks worth a lot more than it actually is to people not "in the know". However that is not the reason for my purchase. It is well built, cheap to run and takes the miles in its stride.

It looks the part turning up for an interview, wedding and so forth all washed and polished. Yet it is equally good at earning it's keep, fully laiden transporting me and materials around when I am doing renervations on my house. It has transported 10 x 25KG major bags of ballast and a few bags of cement with a roof rack full of timber without issue or bottoming out anywhere!

I wear whatever I want when I am driving....anything from a suit and tie to oily overalls and boots! (over a seat cover obviously ;))

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
Hello everyone,

How old were you when you bought your first Mercedes? For the senior citizens, how do you feel seeing junior citizens driving more luxurious benz? Do you resent them? Can medical or law students drive a luxury Mercedes?
Anyone can drive anything

As an employer, would you employ a young graduate if he/she turns up in a model like these E/CL/CLS/S for a job interview even if they were competent at the interview? How should people dress up when driving a luxury Mercedes?
Very telling question wording - "even if they were competent" - in other words your default reaction would be "no" - because of what they drive, so you are prejudging and being led by appearances. Not surprising in light of your earlier posts

Does mediocre attire bring down the prestige of luxury cars? Can people wear hoods in an S class? Can people wear baseball caps backward in a luxury benz? Why are people who wear hoods labelled as deviant when in a luxury car?
People can wear what they want - it's a car - a collective lump of metal and plastic - nothing more

In our society, people tend to ask what you do for a living when they see you pulling up in a £50 - £80k car. Why is this??
nobody asks me

In the western world, we have fundamental human rights to express ourselves liberally, but there is something in the society that holds us back from doing just that. Are we conditioned subconsciously for fear of prejudice, stereotypes or stigma?
not something in my society - perhaps yours though - something in the psyche, typically borne of an inferiority complex

Expression "I want to wear my hood in the car to protect my ears from cold. Oh, i wouldn't do it because Mr. A will think am a gangsta"! Why do we think about the impression others will have about us instead of just doing what we want to do for our own betterment & safety? Is our absolute human right exercised in this case?
You clearly do - I don't. My weekend attire is old jeans

Is there an age limit to drop these negative apprehensions about people before it becomes late or do we consciously or subconsciously pass it onto the next generation??
absurd question

Please folks, am conducting a research at the moment and your thoughts will help me analyse how our human rights are exercised in it's full potential.
Oh dear - "human rights" again - I'm outta here

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Hello everyone,

How old were you when you bought your first Mercedes? For the senior citizens, how do you feel seeing junior citizens driving more luxurious benz? Do you resent them? Can medical or law students drive a luxury Mercedes? As an employer, would you employ a young graduate if he/she turns up in a model like these E/CL/CLS/S for a job interview even if they were competent at the interview? How should people dress up when driving a luxury Mercedes?

Does mediocre attire bring down the prestige of luxury cars? Can people wear hoods in an S class? Can people wear baseball caps backward in a luxury benz? Why are people who wear hoods labelled as deviant when in a luxury car? In our society, people tend to ask what you do for a living when they see you pulling up in a £50 - £80k car. Why is this??

Thanks for reading & sharing your thoughts
thumbSanta.gif
!

Put another way you are asking: I think I'm great because I drive my Mercedes Benz CLS500...do you guys think that's what everyone else thinks too?

Thank God no one can see your...

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
....probably a trainee taliban.
But you shouldnt scoff at these student questions.
Lots of many very well paid jobs in social services.
Enough to run a MB, - almost.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom