Air Con question W203

Ken_R

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 2006 C230 Estate
Had my 'used' car for something approaching 12 months and, when purchased, the Air Con was working, but not 'astounding'. It is now ineffective.:(

Very soon after purchase I would notice, on the garage floor in the mornings, a 'damp' deposit inboard of where the f/n/s wheel had been. (RHD). I initially put this down to a possible coolant leak and did have a couple of occasions to top up the coolant.

And then it stopped.

I am wondering if this could have anything to do with a Gas leak. I wouldn't expect a gas to visibly 'puddle' but could an escape have caused localised condensation which would then be evident beneath the vehicle?

I am aware that it is unwise to run un-gassed but I don't particularly want to go to someone where they just re-gas, take your money, and off you go without a proper leak test/inspection.

What sort of provider should I be looking for, or will they all test/inspect as a matter of course?

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
they should all leak test as a matter of course. its a legal requirement to do so IIRC.

also aircon when used will appear to leak water as it 'condenses' water in the condenser as it dries the air out, then it drips onto the floor under the car. most people are aware that aircon does this now, but when it first became common, there were LOTS of people bringing cars to be looked at thinking they had a coolant leak

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
If the car has gone 10 year with no top up, that is not bad going. Most recharge firms do not charge if no go.

When an air con system puts out not so cold air, this normally shows its low on gas, another fact is when low is, the air con will work at temps below 20c but fail if the outside temp gets too high.

A re charge firm should weigh the gas that come out, if there is still some gas in there it should not be leaking. recharging firms can do a pressure check, if a leak the put in a die.

OP
K

Ken_R

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 2006 C230 Estate
but when it first became common, there were LOTS of people bringing cars to be looked at thinking they had a coolant leak

Thanks Pete.

I can remember years back, when I first got the Focus, or even before that, I parked at a Supermarket and someone pointed to under the front of the car and said, "I think you've got a leak." I replied, "It's condensation from the Air Conditioning." and then added, somewhat mischieveously, "Doesn't yours also do that?":D

My 'wet patch' was different. I'm talking about last October/November when I wouldn't have been using the Air Con.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Pete.

I can remember years back, when I first got the Focus, or even before that, I parked at a Supermarket and someone pointed to under the front of the car and said, "I think you've got a leak." I replied, "It's condensation from the Air Conditioning." and then added, somewhat mischieveously, "Doesn't yours also do that?":D

My 'wet patch' was different. I'm talking about last October/November when I wouldn't have been using the Air Con.

It is recommended that you leave the aircon on all year.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
It is recommended that you leave the aircon on all year.

ive never turned it off on any car ive had with aircon. and I do know (I worked in the dealers at the time) when ford launched it as an option across the range, (rather than just the Granadas) they said it should be run for a minimum of 30 mins continuously each month, regardless of temperature or temperature setting or time of year etc. remembering to do this was most peoples issue, so they left it on!

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
It does just as much in the winter as it does in the summer.........

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Compressors with a clutch should be run at least once a month to keep the seals good., on clutchless compressors it does not matter as its always turning.

SunnyDee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 W204 Petrol Coupé
you should have A/C off button right? its best to use your AC all year round. I hardly turned mine off when I use to have my W203 Sports Edition... is yours diesel or petrol?

Sunny

ampwhu

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 W203 C200CDI Avantgarde se
I run the climate control all the time. I just adjust the fan speed and temperature according to the outside temp.

I have a puddle under the car each week where it sits for a couple of days, I've been advised this is normal.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The hotter the weather the bigger the puddle, it is the ice on the evaporator thawing out.

OP
K

Ken_R

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 2006 C230 Estate
Re-gassed and seems to be working fine.:)

As suggested, I'll leave it switched on - I promise.;)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Re-gassed and seems to be working fine.:)

As suggested, I'll leave it switched on - I promise.;)

You will end up with a very dry car with far less condensation in the winter months.

OP
K

Ken_R

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 2006 C230 Estate
10+ days on, and still working fine.

No return of the 'damp area' on the garage floor that I speculated might be signs of a leak so, either not leaking, or they fixed any leak. Although, as stated earlier, I wouldn't/couldn't understand how a leak (of gas) should 'puddle'.

£38.50 + VAT.

And, more importantly, with the current weather, It's stopped the missus complaining!;);):)

Andy.M

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 GLA250 Premium Plus, Night, AMG Exclusive Leather, Driving Assistance Packs COMAND DAB HK Audio
And, more importantly, with the current weather, It's stopped the missus complaining!;);):)

I dont believe that for one second! :p

Top Bottom