Air Conditioning Problem.

FRESH

Reaction score
I own a 2006 A Class Mercedes, during the hot spell I used the air condition for the first time, guess what! It was not working. So I had it re-gassed at Kwik Fit. They re-gassed the system, and the read out showed no problem or leaks in the unit. A month down the line there is only warm air when I switch on the unit. I took the car back to Kwik Fit, who emptied the system and re-gassed the unit again.

The second re-gas showed no leaks, but the amount of gas in the system was less than the amount entered. I was then told there must be a leak.

The car is two weeks out of its warranty. I have booked it into my local Mercedes dealer for the earliest date. This will make it 4 weeks out of warranty.

Question:

Has anyone experience this problem in a 3-year-old car before?

And what are my chances of a good will gesture, from Mercedes.

Thanks
:neutral:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I would have hoped that they would fix it under the warranty

ShoeQueen

Reaction score
Hi Fresh

Sorry to hear you are having a problem with your a/c, my A200CDI is on an 06 plate and I haven't encountered any problems with it.. if nething its too cold!

Hopefully the dealer will sort it under warranty

jp williams

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 E class 2.2 cdi auto estate, Lexus GS 450h
My aircon is on permanently and has been for nearly 7years. It does not adversly affect the fuel consumption. Give it a try when yours has been repaired.
The perceived wisdom is (as I understand it) that if you do not use it, the seals within the system dry out. A bit like a refrigerator which of course you do not just switch on ,on warm days.
Regards

rhud

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 BlueEfficiency Avantgarde SE 2010
My A150 Classic SE (Nov 2007) produces less-cold air than it should, I think(certainly compared to the BMW I had before). Too idle to do anything about it so far,but I must. I,too, leave air con on all the time, which was recommended by the dealer when I bought it. Could it be that A Class air con is less effective than posher (ie more expensive) models?

Parrot of Doom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Was an E300TD, now a Lexus LS400
> I own a 2006 A Class Mercedes, during the hot spell I used the air condition for the first time

This is why it doesn't work. Keep it on, permanently.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
My aircon is on permanently and has been for nearly 7years. It does not adversly affect the fuel consumption.

I entirely agree. With climate control it is even less intrusive as the A/C only operates to the extent required to maintain the desired cabin temperature, thus using even less fuel. ;)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My V70R has had the auto aircon on from the day I bought,,now 11 years and never charged

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
My V70R has had the auto aircon on from the day I bought,,now 11 years and never charged

You have done well Malcolm. Volvos of that era were prone to leakage of the condenser. In their desire to be green, Volvo chose to degrease the condenser during manufacture by water washing rather than using solvents. This led to a number of them corroding and perforating - that led to warm air only from the C/C or A/C. :(

The good news is that Volvo acknowledged the problem and replaced the condenser and re-gassed free of charge. :D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You have done well Malcolm. Volvos of that era were prone to leakage of the condenser. In their desire to be green, Volvo chose to degrease the condenser during manufacture by water washing rather than using solvents. This led to a number of them corroding and perforating - that led to warm air only from the C/C or A/C. :(

The good news is that Volvo acknowledged the problem and replaced the condenser and re-gassed free of charge. :D
Bugger I have missed out on something free :(

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
I would have hoped that they would fix it under the warranty

I suppose when all else fails, there is always hope. :)

It could be that the condenser that has been damaged and that wouldn't be covered anyway.

I only use my a/c when needed but do try to remember to run it every now and again anyway. I find it a pain sometimes when it's very cold as the a/c doesn't work then but still dumps wet air into the car from when it was last used. Also I think it's a good idea to dry the system out and not leave it wet - I always try to remember to turn a/c of a couple of miles from home.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I suppose when all else fails, there is always hope. :)

It could be that the condenser that has been damaged and that wouldn't be covered anyway.

Also I think it's a good idea to dry the system out and not leave it wet - I always try to remember to turn a/c off a couple of miles from home.

That really does work and good advice,,OK it can only be done on journey that you know,,but that cavers 95% of all journeys

W

Wingnuts

An old thread but trying anyway.

The AC on my A150 works OK never been gassed or anything but I find that with it on the car sounds noisy and comparitively rough so I dont keep it on all the time. Its OK at speed but compressor seems noisy at slow speed not that I have anything to compare it with.
Certainly need it on in the summer where I live, it is about 35 C now and most of the summer, seems a shame because it runs well otherwise.
I accept a loss of power on hills with the AC on just wish it ran a bit more pleasantly at the same time.

Members on the forum say leave it on all the time but maybe most of you have bigger MB engines which make lighter work of driving the AC?

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
Can't make a direct comparison but my daughter has a/c in her 3cyl 1100cc Mitsubishi Colt, and it's certainly noticeable at idle, but I wouldn't say you could tell when driving along. It's pretty flat where we are though.

Dubstar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI Coupe
As far as i know, the gas has a lubricant in it so it keeps the seals moist and working. if you do not use it, the seals dry out and (obviously) do not seal properly so they can leak. You need to use the a/c regularly to make it work ok. As said before ,it does not make a huge difference on mpg so just use it and enjoy your car in comfort, rather than save a couple of pence per trip.

Top Bottom