Air in fuel again!!!

simon_wall69

Reaction score
To cut a long story short:

Bought car (W124 e300 td) about 6 months ago. About 2 months later it broke down with air in fuel lines. Replaced o-rings and filters and ran absolutely fine.

3,000 miles and three months later same thing happened again. Car went to garage as it broke down on the M6 and they replaced filters and o-rings. Car drove fine.

About 1,000 miles later and Thursday took car for its MOT. To pass it needed the long brake pipe replacing, the mechanic (Merc indie in Stoke) said that the fuel line next to it should be replaced as well as he would struggle to remove fuel line without brake line. He replaced them both (they are definitely new.)

Anyway, having only driven back from MOT, went to go out today. No power, smoke. Looked under the bonnet and air in fuel lines again. Will phone garage tomorrow. I assume that this is linked to the new fuel lines, but I can't see how it hasn't been done properly and the new line does not leak.

My question: could there be something else causing the air to keep coming into the fuel lines? Is keep replacing the filters and o-rings just fixing the symptoms and not the cause. Since the m6 break down the car has only been run on proper diesel.

I'm rapidly losing confidence in this car!

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
606 or 603 engine?

I think you haven't found the air leak yet. Ignore the O-rings you've already done and concentrate on the others. Like on the manual shutoff valve (606), shutoff valve on the IP, pre-filter seal, etc

I have had a couple of reports recently of this problem but no-one has got to the bottom of it yet

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
ah yes i know how you feel! ive never managed to cure the air in my fuel! its kind of embarrassing when it misfires for a while on start up after a lengthy stand when its a "quality car" but im sure yours will be much simpler as youve already had it cured! ive not! good luck!

OP
S

simon_wall69

Reaction score
ah yes i know how you feel! ive never managed to cure the air in my fuel! its kind of embarrassing when it misfires for a while on start up after a lengthy stand when its a "quality car" but im sure yours will be much simpler as youve already had it cured! ive not! good luck!

I have been following your progress; same engine as yours but mine does without the turbo.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
if/when i cure mine, i'll tell you where to luck. almost nothing there that ive not changed!:confused::rolleyes:

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
>>if/when i cure mine

Have you sealed the joints with grease yet, to test for leaks?

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
in progress as we speak! using proper rubber grease used for assembling brake pistons into calipers etc so i dont ruin all my new seals!

OP
S

simon_wall69

Reaction score
My fuel lines had been reconnected the wrong way round. Fixed.

Just got to do the check straps, thermostat, belt tensioner, air con, front wing,...

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom