Air mass sensor

J11ames

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sprinter 311
Ok so my sprinter 311 had engine issues the other day, serious issues and I think I solved them within 5 minutes. First after starting the revs were dancing on tick over which, and when I pulled away the truck was real slow getting up to twenty miles per hour. Then after a short way I turned right and headed up a hill onto the South Downs near Shoreham. Typical a car appeared just where I didn't want it to, so I had to brake and after trying to do a hill start with the engine gutless and a serious lack of power, and when we'd finally reached the top with intense juddering to boot, suddenly the thing stalled. It wouldn't restart either. Crap, so being on a blind bend and having no choice but to turn the steering real hard to the right, whilst using the starter to get me off the road, which completely flattened a full charge battery in ten seconds, I left the thing for two days. Ok so when the battery was fully charged by solar panels (the best way to charge them) I put it back and tried starting her. WOW, completely shocked because instead of doing nothing, she'd roared into life and the previously dancing tick over needle had stopped too like the DJ had ended the track. Yep the engine was running real smooth. 'Interesting,' I'd thought after having spent two days on google reading up on her. She's a 2006 of the newer model. So revving the engine everything was fine, and even some old guy walked up behind and said that engine runs sweet. Only in truth it didn't because when I'd tried to pull forwards up a gradual slope a few feet in front of me, she rebuked badly. Yep she tried stalling and I had to clutch her several moments and we weren't even doing more than one miles per hour. How weird too?

Hmm so I took the air mass sensor out and simply blew down it, then swiped my fingers around inside the entrance to grab a couple particles of dust and put it back without of course trying to touch the sensor itself. Then when I jumped in and started her she sounded the same, only responded like an untrained stallion. She was full of life with literally loads of power. So yep I couldn't resist it and went for a drive. The journey was ten miles with her behaving admirably throughout all of it.

A friend in a diesel tuning shop reckoned that after unplugging the sensor, he'd said that the ECU resets that connection and increases the power to it. Well I don't know if that's true, or if I'd fixed it with just blowing down it, or that there was a loose connection, but she's fine again. So if this helps you then I am pleased that I have taken the time to both join, and also to post my recent like two days ago experience.

I am inclined to believe dodgy sensor connection, but who knows.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom