1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Air matic???

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering & Brakes' started by Stevie77, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Stevie77

Stevie77 Member

Your Mercedes:
    Clk 220cdi
    Hi there,

What are the thoughts on air matic suspension guys ? Is it a good option or is it bound to go wrong. 2003 e class 320cdi , 80k . :neutral:

2. Developer

Developer Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
    Mine has been faultless, but it's a later car (08).

Despite running 18's and low profile tyres, the ride on Comfort is really good and when pushed the Sport settings let the car stay level and flat round the twisties.

Don't forget, on a forum you'll hear all the bad stuff, which includes springs breaking on non Airmatic cars.

3. SSR S500

SSR S500 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    S500/2002/V8
    I have airmatic on my S class and the ride uality really is second to none. If you want a quite relaxing drive then it is a must imo, but then again it all depends on what your driving style is like and how the airmatic on the E class would suit your style.

4. gez

gez Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W211 E320 CDi Estate, R129 Brabus SL500 (SOLD), R231 SL400 AMG Line
    I specifically set out to find a W211 E320CDi estate with airmatic after driving a 4x4 with very agricultural suspension for many years, and then experiencing the other end of the scale when riding in an S class taxi.

I love it and only ever use it in Comfort mode. In fact I tend to find the ride on my R129 SL with it's 18" Brabus wheels rather uncomfortable now!

Mine is also a 2003 model with 65k on 16" wheels. I have had one fault in the 18 months I have had the car, which luckily was a relay and fixed under warranty.

It might give me problems sometime in the future, but I wont complain too much as its a real benefit if you after a smooth ride.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  5. whitenemesis

whitenemesis Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    CLS55 AMG '05
    ADS is far more reliable than ABC. Plus if it goes wrong, much cheaper to repair.

Win, win :)