air suspension fault

thebob34

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S 280
Hi, could any of you good people please spare a min to read this. Last week while on our way to a concert my s280 came up with a message saying pull over. vehicle too low. As I was on the motorway and near the hotel, I managed to get their slowly. when I tried to go above 50 mph it wouldnt let me, I presume it was a saftey cut out. Anyway, next morning it was really low on drivers side, wheel nearly touching bodywork. I called breakdown and got it recovered home. I took it to a local garage who said a sensor had gone. They replaced it but said it needed re-booting at merc. I took it to another dealer who has the merc comps ect and he said it is coming up with fault code c1327.says on his report the following. The magnetic valve is located on the compressor unit and is the central control unit for the level regulation and activation of the suspension and supplies the suspension legs with pressure air. He says these are very expensive.does anyone know how much these are and how bad this fault is. I have the car back now while we try to get a part. it didnt come up with the pull over message on way home but again it wouldnt let me go over 50. Am i right in thinking its cos of this part again.

Thank you all in advance,

rob (UK)

OlafMaxwell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E320 CDI Estate
I dont know too much about the air suspension other than I know it can be both troublesome and expensive. If you get a really heavy quotation as far as I know there is an aftermarket conversion to convert back to standard suspension which is far less troublesome. Not as smooth on the ride but easier on the pocket.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Does the car lower,,,there is another code on this with another fault

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The only one that I have with a speed reduction Fault is the pressure relief valve, where the car cannot lower

OP
T

thebob34

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S 280
Does the car lower,,,there is another code on this with another fault

Thanks for the reply. the car is low on drivers side and doesnt seem to move any higher. when you press the air button on the dash it does nothing, although you can hear something

A

andy@pcd-ltd

I would have to say the airmatic pump has burnt out and requires replacing along with the relay.
It is quite an easy job to do

nialler

Reaction score
Hi Bob

Same thing happened to me in my S320, airmatic pump had failed, had it replaced for around €270 including labour, there's also sensors on the suspension struts that give a reading to the computer on the level of the car they'll need to be done also as they may give an incorrect reading and lower the level on one side.

OP
T

thebob34

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S 280
Hi, all.you were right bout the pump burning out. cost £242 to buy. total bill was only around £325 so I am happy enough at that. didnt know that there was also a re-call on that model so they have sorted it out. something could have caught fire to do with the alternator. hope everyone is aware of this.

bob

rafstar85

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350
Hi, all.you were right bout the pump burning out. cost £242 to buy. total bill was only around £325 so I am happy enough at that. didnt know that there was also a re-call on that model so they have sorted it out. something could have caught fire to do with the alternator. hope everyone is aware of this.

bob

hey bob
i believe i got the same problem on my S350. but mercedes benz workshop qouted my close to £800. that to replace the compressure and a valve on the airmatic suspension.
but you got it done for close to £325. how?

OP
T

thebob34

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S 280
air suspension

Hi all, just when I thought this was all sorted. when you drive now, you can hear it going on and off like a tank. used to be as quiet as a mouse and its brand new pump. any ideas. I am most likely going to main dealer with it now, sick of running bacwards and forwards to garage

OP
T

thebob34

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S 280
hey bob
i believe i got the same problem on my S350. but mercedes benz workshop qouted my close to £800. that to replace the compressure and a valve on the airmatic suspension.
but you got it done for close to £325. how?

hi, because the part is only £212 + vat for the whole unit new from mercedes. I would get another garage to buy the part off them and carry out the work like I did. there was hardly any labour cost, all I know is they may have to nip it back to merc dealer to have the fault memory erased, if they don't have the software.

ps, sorry for late reply

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
The common fault for the noise Bob, the mech breaks the 6mm studs off and cable ties the pump to the chassis!! hence the load noise!!!!!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom