Aircon - again !!

superaquarama

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

This is a C220CDi, 2003, with Climate.

When the car is started for the first time in a day, the aircon works fine. However, as soon as you switch off, it won't come back on next time. By which I mean the EC light does go out ok, there's just no cold air.

Presumably this is an issue with either the aircon temp sensor or the in-car temp sensor. Anyone know where these are located, or for that matter does anyone have any other ideas about the fault ?

Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
S

superaquarama

Reaction score
Post-script to this for the archives - the in-car temp sensor is located in the overhead console.

I've tried clearing the fault by simultaneously pressing recirc & defrost until the lights start flashing but, although it went through the procedure, it made no difference.

OP
S

superaquarama

Reaction score
Ok, thanks ! Unfortunately I'm 150 miles from you, will have to try and find someone in N. Wales or Shropshire.

Hertfordshire Merx

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160
I am sure you'll find someone in your location. Good luck and I hope you get it fixed.

survey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 C207 E250cdi Sport Coupe
On the W204 when the car reaches its pre-set cool temperature should the A/C light go out? I would dearly like to know when the A/C compressor is cutting out (or in). The revs change so little it is difficult to judge. My A/C light stays on all the time.

OP
S

superaquarama

Reaction score
I doubt if you'll see the light going on & off whenever the clutch cuts in. Yes, I'd say the only way is to try and spot the load coming on the engine. Easy on our Jaguar at tickover, but not so with a torquey diesel. On the Jag I'd say offhand that it's on about a quarter of the time, but of course it'd be more the hotter the outside temp.

keith100

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w204 c300 2008 (Gone)
On the W204 when the car reaches its pre-set cool temperature should the A/C light go out? I would dearly like to know when the A/C compressor is cutting out (or in). The revs change so little it is difficult to judge. My A/C light stays on all the time.

No, the light stays on permanently, (unless I turn it off) on mine, and the system maintains the temp. just fine. The a/c light's still on at -20C!

I suspect most modern cars ,with climate control, maintain the temp. with permanent compressor engagement, and by varying the air flow and humidity, not by simply cutting the compressor in and out.

HTH

survey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 C207 E250cdi Sport Coupe
keith100 - Interesting that you suggest that the compressor is engaged all the time; that would explain why I cannot see the revs change when I flip the temp control up or down. Can anyone confirm this? Thus even when at temperature power is being used for the compressor?
Also - if I press the Auto button on the Thermatic panel, does the A/C button need to be pressed and lit also? I have a suspicion that the Auto button overrides the A/C button so it is immaterial if the A/C button is lit or not for Auto cooling/heating to take place.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom