Airmatic fault?

B

Bill L

Hi, first time poster here.

The car is a 2002 S320 CDi with 60,000 miles. Had it for two or three weeks. Very pleased generally, drove it across Europe this week, 630 motorway miles each way with no problems at all and got 41 mpg from it which I thought was excellent for a car of this size.

Anyhow, the only thing is, there appears to be some sort of issue with the airmatic. The car does the rising and lowering thing quite quickly (15 or 20 secs) and there are no faults reported & no nasty noises from the pump, but when I try to switch it between suspension settings there seems to be an error.

When I click the suspension setting button once (so that one red LED comes on) the dash reports nothing. Click it again (two red LEDs on the switch) and it says "Convenience", one more click (no LEDs lit) and it says "Sports 2". I am sure that this is not correct.

There also doesn't seem to be very much difference in the suspension between settings, I'm not what you might call an afficiando of these things so I could be wrong there, but it doesn't feel much different.

The car has a (limited) warranty so it'll be going in for investigation but has anyone come across this before? (my warranty only covers it for up to £1000 per claim, so I'm keen to limit the time spent on diagnostics)

There are a few more minor control issues too, for instance the folding mirrors do not respond to the "fold when locking" setting, although they do work manually and I think some of the convenience and "ambient" lighting settings are not responding. Could these be electronics or software problems related to the Airmatic thing?

Many thanks in advance.

Bill

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hi and welcome Bill,,The relay for the pumps do give problems and I would change that for the suspension.

The folding mirrors were not possible on that year of car, even though you have the one touch button

OP
B

Bill L

Many thanks for the reply TV.

So it might just be the relays then? Good, that doesn't sound too bad.

Odd that the thing has a setting for automatic door mirror folding if it won't do it, but there you go.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
If you have it in the cluster then, I could be wrong, and maybe it needs activating on STAR, its an iffi time 2002-3 and folding mirrors

Top Bottom