All lights on dash with engine running?

I

Imp man

Hi there, I'm new on here but if you guys are anything like other forums then I know I can get some good advice.

My dad's friend has a 1996 E320 Coupe (auto). It's been sat for many months but previously well maintained. The last service was 18 months ago but has not covered much mileage at all since. He asked me to give the car a once over as he would like to use the car again now the nice weather has arrived. I gave it a good check over, all fluids were spot on, oil was not even black. Battery was totally flat so purchased a new one. Fitted the battery, car started first time, let it idle for some time and within a very short time you could hear the oil reach the valves/tapets and the idle dropped as expected. All running very nicely and happily purring away. Put it in drive and gently eased the pedal and she moved happily forwards and back and the brakes worked well. I left it with him that in my mind there was no problem with it as far as I could see and should go through an MOT without a problem.

Now for the problem... He's been moving it about on his driveway today and has sent me a text to say that:

'a lot of warning lights came on and stayed on, battery, brake fluid, brake pads, abs, oil too low, coolant too low, washer fluid too low and light saying exterior bulb out.

I'm assuming these have all come on with the engine running, he is not a stupid man by any means. Is there anything that would cause this and even better, is there any cure? I'm going to go and have a look and see what is going on. Would be handy to have a bit of a clue on what to look for as I'm used to my BMW and my classic cars, not sure if Mercedes have any quirks I should be aware of.

Any help gratefully received.

Pete

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Possibly poor contacts on the ignition switch, use it a few times and see if it goes away

OP
I

Imp man

Thanks, I'll try that. I'm going to arrange to go back and have a look. Can't drive it much as it's SORN'd and no MOT, but can certainly let it run and there is some room on the drive to manoeuvre it. My friend is suggesting either ecu been upset or water got somewhere when I washed it and said to try disconnecting battery and reconnecting after 15 mins .

The fact the engine runs etc, I guess it can't be too serious.

hotrodder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 320te, '54 ragtop beetle (in bits)
I had exactly the same dash symptoms on my w124 320te when the alternator died- started it up one day only to have all the dash warning lights remain on, car ran fine, lights all went out with ignition off. Flat battery the next day though, charge circuit not working and around a 2.5A drain. All back to normal once the alternator was rebuilt

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I had exactly the same dash symptoms on my w124 320te when the alternator died- started it up one day only to have all the dash warning lights remain on, car ran fine, lights all went out with ignition off. Flat battery the next day though, charge circuit not working and around a 2.5A drain. All back to normal once the alternator was rebuilt

Good point hotrodder, if the alternator was dead it cannot switch over to running from that.

OP
I

Imp man

I've now been advised that he has had previous ecu problems, last time was in the rain when waiting for the aa. I'm thinking there is a bit of a trend here as it only seems to have done this since I washed the car.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Very hard to say,,you could lift the tops of the control boxes to see if there, is any dampness in them, as this is a coupe,could any water run down the A pillars into the dash

boschbrakes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
99 ML430, 84 Porsche 944, 74 VW Karmann Ghia
Hi there, I'm new on here but if you guys are anything like other forums then I know I can get some good advice.

My dad's friend has a 1996 E320 Coupe (auto). It's been sat for many months but previously well maintained. The last service was 18 months ago but has not covered much mileage at all since. He asked me to give the car a once over as he would like to use the car again now the nice weather has arrived. I gave it a good check over, all fluids were spot on, oil was not even black. Battery was totally flat so purchased a new one. Fitted the battery, car started first time, let it idle for some time and within a very short time you could hear the oil reach the valves/tapets and the idle dropped as expected. All running very nicely and happily purring away. Put it in drive and gently eased the pedal and she moved happily forwards and back and the brakes worked well. I left it with him that in my mind there was no problem with it as far as I could see and should go through an MOT without a problem.

Now for the problem... He's been moving it about on his driveway today and has sent me a text to say that:

'a lot of warning lights came on and stayed on, battery, brake fluid, brake pads, abs, oil too low, coolant too low, washer fluid too low and light saying exterior bulb out.

I'm assuming these have all come on with the engine running, he is not a stupid man by any means. Is there anything that would cause this and even better, is there any cure? I'm going to go and have a look and see what is going on. Would be handy to have a bit of a clue on what to look for as I'm used to my BMW and my classic cars, not sure if Mercedes have any quirks I should be aware of.

Any help gratefully received.

Pete

The computers can be affected by RF interference from an outside source, at times. RF generated by towers or high power CB radios. These lights will, as well as buzzers, & at extreme times tach and MPH gauges, & cruise computer, go out until the computers have been rebooted...turn the ignition off and then back on. This should reset ESP, BAS, Low oil etc. alarms on the dash. Strangely enough the check engine light is not affected and the vehicle continues to run. As the other gentleman pointed out, bad contacts can cause this for sure...check the connection to the computers. Good luck.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom