All round Workhorse question.

OP
M

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
It will be the 3litre Diesel with the new shape (2005-2009) model as that one tows 3500kg and is apparently a big improvement in drive on previous model (I had a 4lit petrol of those and really enjoyed it)

They aren't a car to hustle but drive more relaxed, but that's fine by me. Still looking at ML's mind - if I could get a good 420 I would buy it at the right price!.

I wouldn't use anything based on a Fiat.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
I wouldn't use anything based on a Fiat.

If we could have found a good Chrysler Grand Voyager at the right price I would have taken the chance. That was after a fair bit of research.
I stuck with the 639 though.

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
If a Landcruiser is too expensive (though they don't lose any money on depreciation) what about a Nissan Patrol? Probably the nearest thing in terms of size for towing and reliability, comfort etc and a lot cheaper for a 2006 model

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
..or if you don't mind what it looks like and money is really limited...a Ssangyong Musso. They're actually rather popular in the country here as they're simpler and cheaper than the competition yet very good off road and rather large. With a Mercedes (W124) drivetrain the mechanicals should be bullet proof too

OP
M

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Almost no Musso’s or Patrols left in UK now - I considered a Rexton, but drive like a bag of sh1* and for my 5k I can get a nicer car than that.

W164 or Grand Cherokee look favourite at the mo

Last edited:

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
So ruled out Touareg - been on the VW website and even the fans hate the repair bills.....

So narrowing down now.

W163 ML if I found a good one that was a bargain, more likely to be rust buckets these days tho
W164 ML - contender

Grand Cherokee diesel or 4.7 v8 if I can find one 55 plate on. There seem to be some good ones out there at decent prices (sub 3k) so 5k would get a decent one - anyone know how reliable they are - did they still use the Merc mechanicals?

I would choose a 164 over a 163 any day of the week.

OP
M

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Oh I think so too - but if I found a rust free good low mileage well specced one for 2k on the 163 I'd probably get it. I have seen 163's for £8000 - surely you would have to be mental to pay that for one of those?

A good 164 seems to be 5k+ So I think I can get lucky on my budget.

What is interesting is that the Grand Cherokee's on a 55 plate with about 100k miles on can be had for the 2k mark which makes them more attractive to me than a 163.

I'd like a GL but they seem to start nearer 6k with intergalactic mileages so I think they are no go, plus all seem after the March 06 cut off for the cheaper tax.

OP
M

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I am also now looking at the 2007 on X5.

Drive very well, anyone know how reliable they are?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I am also now looking at the 2007 on X5.

Drive very well, anyone know how reliable they are?
The Model you're looking at is the E70 Series which by all accounts is a step up from the E53 which was when BMW were involved with LR.
I visit another forum (yes I know, how could I??), nowhere near as good as this 'bmwland.org.uk' which has sections per model. In X5 there is an E70 information thread. For 2007 you'd be looking at a straight six single turbo diesel which is a really good engine, gearbox will be similarly good- can't comment on the rest personally...
Looking through the forum posts I don't see any 'horror stories' on that model

OP
M

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thats good news. The engine is excellent, and a good 30mpg is possible (when my ML was written off they lent me one for a few months).

The CO2 is remarkably low so less road tax, they handle sublimely (for that sort of car) most have heated seats and sat nav (i want that) and will tow 3500kg legally. They are also available with 7 seats (less important) but I think the boot is a bit smaller with them, so might get a 5 seater. Overall a real "every car you ever need" type thing, and I happen to think they look ok too.

Is there an engine to avoid - you say at that period the 6 cyl diesel was good - did they change it later to a worse engine?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Thats good news. The engine is excellent, and a good 30mpg is possible (when my ML was written off they lent me one for a few months).

The CO2 is remarkably low so less road tax, they handle sublimely (for that sort of car) most have heated seats and sat nav (i want that) and will tow 3500kg legally. They are also available with 7 seats (less important) but I think the boot is a bit smaller with them, so might get a 5 seater. Overall a real "every car you ever need" type thing, and I happen to think they look ok too.

Is there an engine to avoid - you say at that period the 6 cyl diesel was good - did they change it later to a worse engine?
Nope, their IL 6cyl diesels have gotten better is anything with the introduction of twin turbos. I'm told even the IL4 is decent but I've never tried one...sounds like you've found a winner

OP
M

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Possibly. A good one will push the budget, but a good all rounder

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
OP
M

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Leather / alcantara mix, same as all ML’S

That is a helluva nice car - not my preferred colour, but looks great and should be reliable a time those miles.

Sadly doesn’t push the budget, it smashes it into the ground and stamps on its head a bit......

Mercalba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml350 w164 2010
Leather / alcantara mix, same as all ML’S

That is a helluva nice car - not my preferred colour, but looks great and should be reliable a time those miles.

Sadly doesn’t push the budget, it smashes it into the ground and stamps on its head a bit......

My ml is full leather yeah that’s a lot of car for the cash. Hope you find something within budget !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

welease woger

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 E Class Cabriolet
My workhorse will soon be up for sale:
2009 Mazda BT50 intrepid 5 seater pickup. Top of the range model, 3 litre, leather, air con, automatic, 67K miles, fitted towbar, switchable 2 or 4 wheel drive, In 100% perfect working order. Never used commercially.
Depending on your employment status can be highly tax efficient.

OP
M

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My workhorse will soon be up for sale:
2009 Mazda BT50 intrepid 5 seater pickup. Top of the range model, 3 litre, leather, air con, automatic, 67K miles, fitted towbar, switchable 2 or 4 wheel drive, In 100% perfect working order. Never used commercially.
Depending on your employment status can be highly tax efficient.
Is it VAT Qualifying?? - How much are you thinking?

Ideally I want heated seats if I have leather (used to them) Sat Nav (although I could use a tom tom and so on and a 3500 (or thereabouts) tow capacity - but tell me more.

welease woger

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 E Class Cabriolet
Is it VAT Qualifying?? - How much are you thinking?

Ideally I want heated seats if I have leather (used to them) Sat Nav (although I could use a tom tom and so on and a 3500 (or thereabouts) tow capacity - but tell me more.

Front seats are heated. Never used the towbar but research should reveal towing capacity. Fitted tom tom but a tad out of date. Fitted hidden wiring for Nextbase dash cam - unit itself will be removed.
Parkers Guide price for this model based on 67K miles and private sale is £6905 so at £6250 it's exceptional value. And there's no VAT.
mazda 108.jpg

Top Bottom