All round Workhorse question.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
My ml is full leather yeah that’s a lot of car for the cash. Hope you find something within budget !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine all leather as well.

Mercalba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml350 w164 2010
Is it VAT Qualifying?? - How much are you thinking?

Ideally I want heated seats if I have leather (used to them) Sat Nav (although I could use a tom tom and so on and a 3500 (or thereabouts) tow capacity - but tell me more.

Looks like 2500kg max. There’s only a handful that do 3500kg as I found when I needed one. It fair cuts the list of available options down!

OP
M

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
I could get away with about 3100 - 3200kg if I'm honest, but not 2500.

Also, I looked at a couple of photos of them and couldn't see any with cruise control - I didn't know people still made cars without cruise control which is a non-negotiable must have for me.

Mercalba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml350 w164 2010
I could get away with about 3100 - 3200kg if I'm honest, but not 2500.

Also, I looked at a couple of photos of them and couldn't see any with cruise control - I didn't know people still made cars without cruise control which is a non-negotiable must have for me.

My last car was a 2008 Touareg. Not exactly a budget car but didn’t have cruiseFull
Leather and no cruise. Average speed roads and no cruise is not a good combination Towed 3500 kg though

OP
M

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I must confess I thought all Touareg had cruise!

No, would never consider a car without cruise.

OP
M

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ok so seen a candidate (pain cos really not ready to buy at the moment).

ML350 B/E (which i am surprised is still over the 224g co2 for road tax purpose) on a 59 plate (registered Sept 09) has the kit I like and does seem quite well loved.

I see a few comments on the forum every so often about "wish it was the 2011 on model" were there some significant changes then?

Car has done 129k which is OK for these, but main areas of problems?

Can anyone get a build spec off a reg rather than a VIN? I'm not in work otherwise I could pull the vin off the reg....

Thanks all for help in advance.

Mercalba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml350 w164 2010
There are many here who know more about this I’m sure but...
In 2011 a new generation came out(w166). That will be a second gen(w164) which came out in 2005.

I have a 2010 ml350. Love it and tow 3.5tonne boat with it. Effortless towing with inevitable terrible fuel consumption. Can be very expensive to get towball fitted so make sure you buy one with.

Re spec use this https://financecalculator.mini.co.uk/forms/COI/form.html

Then this https://www.mbdecoder.com

OP
M

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That's brilliant thank you!!

I can check on the cars I'm interested in now - So many sellers say "every extra" or "amazing spec" and all the car has is cruise and elec windows - I don't think most have a clue what came as standard on anything!

Sadly missed the one I was interested in - although probably a good thing as I wasn't really ready just yet......

OP
M

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Interestingly - I just used it to check a 280 and it clearly says "Derated engine - so I think the 280's and 320's are basically the same engine just de-tuned!

What's the overall fuel consumption on the 350 like - and what is it towing? (I'm expecting late teens towing and 25 not?)

Is the 350 much better than the 320 does anyone know? The steering wheel appears different (more like the later cars buttons) but most of the rest of the interior seems the same as the 280/320 models - were there any other upgrades from 320 to 350?

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
hi, see you have discounted a VW touareg, have you considered a cheap Kia Sorento ? (but i know there are reliability issues)
Our W163 270 pulls a horse trailer and two horses like they are not there, it has no rust, passes its MOT each year, and still only has 55,500 miles on it, so decent ones can be found, also motorway MPG on cruise is ok.
Ours has had its problems, currant one is a bugger of a water leak, only because i cannot find the leak !
Parts are easy to get know. Its just a waiting game until right one appears.

OP
M

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've had 2 x 163's - I like them - bit wallowy round corners, I know you can uprate with Bilstein's - mine were 500's with LPG - and I would consider another one - but finding a rust free one is now pretty hard. Plus yours is the exception - most have 150,000m + on them nowadays. The big plus for me is that they could have 7 seats, which you can take out completely and put in the garage so don't impact on boot space in day to day use. If I saw a really good one I'd consider it - but for £5k you are also well into W164 territory which is I think a nicer car to drive daily.

I am also still considering the Jeep Grand Cherokee - which comes with the 3.0 diesel and auto box from Merc, well equipped in Overland spec, and sooooooo cheap - I can see them for about £2500 - £3000 on a 55 plate which makes them a lot cheaper to tax - so if one of them comes up I'll consider it too. Had the previous shape which I liked, although it didn't drive very "modern" more - "old american 4x4 barge" but it was very comfy. There is also the Commander, but that's 06 onward so only dearer tax and doesn't get the best reviews....

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
I saw an ML55 on Ebay tonight with 55,000 miles on it, 51 reg, so quite old but was cheap with no issues.
It was dark green

OP
M

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I saw that too - but I wouldn't have a 55. The 500 was way too powerful for it's chassis and suspension - that would just be worse (although maybe upgraded). And you can't convert the 55 to LPG due to the exhaust routing (well you can, but the tank goes as a cyl in the boot which is rubbish)

350 or 500 is the petrol to have in those in my opinion.

I wouldn't have pre-facelift either - much better interior on the post 2002/3 models.....

OP
M

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I discounted the Touraeg as went on the VW forum and no-one had a good word for them!!

Shame, as there are lots about, often in good nick and well specced..... But the Grand Cherokee will do the same job decently reliable I think...

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
I have to admit, i have no thoughts at all on what to replace the ML270 with once it expires, wife needs 4x4 and big enough to tow trailer and two horses, I would have a discovery, but engine and electronics puts me off, we had an old TD5, it was very good until the tin worm got the rear chassis. Touraeg is on the list, as well as XC90 and even an older Sorento. Range rover has same issues as Discovery, even the old TD6.
It is a dilemma, and i do not envy your task, but will keep an eye on what you settle for.
Good luck.

OP
M

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just found this.

Not as easy to follow as the Merc one, but works on most makes

Charges for full history reports, but free to check the build for a certain vin

Mercalba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml350 w164 2010
Interestingly - I just used it to check a 280 and it clearly says "Derated engine - so I think the 280's and 320's are basically the same engine just de-tuned!

What's the overall fuel consumption on the 350 like - and what is it towing? (I'm expecting late teens towing and 25 not?)

Is the 350 much better than the 320 does anyone know? The steering wheel appears different (more like the later cars buttons) but most of the rest of the interior seems the same as the 280/320 models - were there any other upgrades from 320 to 350?

Averaged about 26 with mixed use, although mostly shortish trips so would be better if you did more motorway. Only done one long journey with and it averaged 37 only motorway use. Towing 3.5t about 18. Get as high spec as you can I say. You’ll enjoy it more and sell it for more and easier.

OP
M

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You’ll enjoy it more and sell it for more and easier

I have always found this to be key.

You don’t always get much more for it, but a high spec car way easier to sell.

When I look for one, heated seats is a must, then sat nav is good and memory seats (although they aren’t a must.... if a car doesn’t have heated seats I just move on - not because I have to have them, but when there is no shortage you might as well!

johnhogg441@

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
G Wagen 460 280GLE 1985 - Petrol (110) - 5 door
The 5 pot 2.7 will tow 3,360 braked. Not a lot of headroom, if you might need it.
The LPG sacrifice is space, as usually the fuel tank goes in the back.
Then there is the range as LPG is generally less able to cover that,
actual fuel capacity is generally less than tank size, and power is less than petrol. You've already expressed the disappointment of lower torque for petrol (the need to push harder to compensate, LPG would be worse I imagine.
Then there is the reduced number of filling stations.
Then annual gas service isn't an advantage.

I concluded it just wasn't worth the effort. Most seem to agree going on the lower numbers that actually do go for it.
Hi - Your picture looks very much like my Honda CBR 1000 - is that right?

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom