Almost 1000 pounds to replace two rubber parts... Rip-off?

EugeneR

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320
Hi there,

I've just been quoted 455+ to replace a rubber gator on my 53-reg E320's lower suspension.

The story goes like this. The gator is an integral part of XXXX which includes many other things. So, part XXXX needs replacing. Since part XXXX has been superceded by part YYYY, both the left and right sides needs to be replaced - doubling the cost!

Also, a rubber seal on the gearbox where the wiring goes in needs to be replaced, at a cost of 400+ pounds. This is because the sump needs to be removed first.

For a car with only 12k and given that we are simply looking to replace two small rubber parts which probably costs a few quid each, I am paying 900-ish pounds plus usual extras on top.

Ironically, all the above can be done in 2 hours before closing?!

Am I being ripped off, or is this part of what MB is about? (If so, I'll stop moaning since it's a great car otherwise!)

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
If your gearbox on your car is a 5 speed 722.6 box, the wiring seal you are talking about is approx. £20 (MB call it a Pilot Bush I believe) and takes about half an hour to replace plus 1/2-1 litre of transmission fluid, very, very common fault MB have redesigned it at least 18 times I believe, so at £400 its a bit of a rip off.
Please can someone confirm if Eugene's car has a 722.6 box.
Regarding the rubber boot item I fail to see that both sides need doing, as the superseded part "should" be a direct replacement for the original part, Anybody else think this is a main dealer trying to fabricate work for itself?

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
The plug seal is a well known failure. I had mine done under warranty when they did the transmission fluid change. Why wasn't it done when they changed the fluid on yours? (or have they not changed it?)

The other bits, well yes it happens.
But, ...given that the majority of the cost will be labour, you should be able to get that down by 50% by taking it to an indie.
Also, as yours is a 53 plate, you should be getting a discount. I take it the dealer hasn't mentioned this? As our E's are over 3 years, our dealer gives a 40% discount on labour.

What people often don't yet realise is that you can negotiate with MB Dealer service departments. 20-40% discounts on servicing and repairs are very common for those who just have the cheek to ask .....(I do :) )

If they don't play ball, then treat them with the same respect they treat you with and take your business elsewhere.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
All sounds odd to me, where do you live in the UK

Welcome to the forum:D

OP
E

EugeneR

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320
Gearbox is automatic, not sure which version. I am in Woking but the car is being serviced at MB in Brentwood. I did get 20% discount on labour and 10% on parts given the car is out of warranty, labour is still 99.20 per hour. I have told them to continue but I will take whatever feedback I get by tomorrow and ask for a further discount and / or a better justification to share with the forum.

Apparently I have some AA/RAC-type service that stays on the car for free as long as I service with MB. Is it worth it? Surely seems not, given the feedback so far.

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
His: 2018 E220 d; Hers: 2016 SMAX
Go and see the father and son team in Weybridge (SS autos?? Stumpy will remember their name). When I worked their my crank sensor failed on my old W210, they replaced it, and told me to try it for a day or so, and then if it worked, drop in and settle up.

It did, and I was only too glad to do so.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
£50 per hour from an indie,,,but I still do not understand what the fault really is

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom