Alternator Help Required - NOT MB

Stu_CDX

Reaction score
Hiya guys...

I've got a problem. The Alternator has gone on the Maestro... Now, this is all well and good, but it's on bog standard insurance with no break down cover and it's 35 miles from home on the side of the A12.

I was just wondering if anyone has experience of doing alternators as I've never even thought about it.

I've not even got a haynes manual for the Maestro, but I've got a Vauxhall Nova Haynes Manual and it uses the same alternator.

Two bolts, unplug, remove belt...

Is this it?

Has anyone got any tips? Please, I get really nervous when it comes to things like this!!

Stu.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
This will be a standard AC delco/Remy and the reg pack should be all the that is needed

Why not take a good battery to it, with only the engine on and nothing else it could last to get it home

OP
Stu_CDX

Stu_CDX

Reaction score
it's a bosch unit with an external reg. Pack. The entire alternator has failed as the belt was squeeling, yet it never overheated... The bearings must be shot to bits in the alternator. Thing is, i just want to get it done. No hassle.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Bosch service centers sell them cheap

OP
Stu_CDX

Stu_CDX

Reaction score
Bosch service centers sell them cheap

Malcolm, with all respect... I have an alternator... I want advice on removing it at the roadside, probably being ****ed on by the big guy in the sky and being hit by 80mph winds.

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W638, W140, W220, W639 All gone but not forgotten
There will be either 2 or 3 bolts to loosen usually one long one underneath aand two short ones on top and move the belt out the way and lift the alternator off.

This is not Maestro specific but it should be very similar

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
now im puzzled. maestro's were cr@p when they were new. (the garage down the road were austin rover dealers at the time) and now theyre old, why would you NOT have breakdown cover? especially when they broke down loads when they were new!

on a plus note though, unless its an MG version, most maestro's were 1.3 engines, straight out of the mini, metro, allegro, marina etc so dead simple 3 bolt mounting, near the radiator o the drivers side, from memory.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom