Alternator playing up

jj1975

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w203 c220cdi 2002
Hi everyone
It been few days the alternator on my C class 220cdi 2002 is playing up
When I start the engine in a morning alternator it charge for few seconds sometimes not at all after few minutes it starts charging around 12.1 v it continues for around 5 minuets like that and it starts to change between 13 v -14.6v for few seconds depends on the revs and after that it change normal around 14.6 no problem if I drive as long I want but if I leave the car for good few hours till is cools again When I start the engine it does same thing
Alternator is Delphi 14v 190 amp watercool
I don’t hear any noises
I have ordered driving belt because it has past it best , freewheel pulley , reg pack and pare of brushes around £90 all together
Can reg pack and brushes can be changed in situ ?
Anyone can give any advice what may give this problem
Thanks in advance

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
I would think the brushes and regulator would be a good starting point.
I don't know on a CDI but on my petrol I can't see a way of changing them in situ.

OP
J

jj1975

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w203 c220cdi 2002
I changed belt and pulley still same thing
Lucky belt didn’t snap b4 I changed it was in real bad state I got bushes just wayting for the regulator and I will try to change them
I know is a pain to remove alternator that’s why I’m asking if any one managed to change the regulator in situ changed

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
I changed belt and pulley still same thing
Lucky belt didn’t snap b4 I changed it was in real bad state I got bushes just wayting for the regulator and I will try to change them
I know is a pain to remove alternator that’s why I’m asking if any one managed to change the regulator in situ changed
Is this of any help?

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom