Aluminium Oil Filer housing cracked.

BorderHooner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T2 609D 3972cc CVS 1996 Motorhome
I'm in the middle of an oil change on a 609D (massive van/truck 1996)

The oil filter is basic paper insert into an aluminium filter housing.

The bottom of which screws off.

The thing had'nt been off for a long time by the looks fo things.

It took a 32mm socket and long bar to open it and in doing so I must have put a hairline crack in it around the large 32mm head.

After fitting the filter I put it back on & nipped it up unfortunately the bottom of base cap around the 32mm fitting came off completely.

The filter is changed.

But now I can't get the ****** thing back off.

Do you think I could whack a load of chemical metal on this?

My gut says probably not.

I've been busting my nuts to get this down to Devon on Sunday picking my wife and daughter up from the airport en route and had welding booked tomoro a.m.

I have a feeling this part won't be sitting on a nearby shelf as it's an old model now (replaced with Vario so different parts)

Sick to the stomach rings quite true.

:(

lwbnick

Reaction score
Website
euromerc.tumblr.com
Your Mercedes
expedition
I have a feeling this part won't be sitting on a nearby shelf as it's an old model now (replaced with Vario so different parts)

Sick to the stomach rings quite true.

:(

Talk to Erith Commercials, they've broken up loads of these, they'll have the parts you need.

OP
B

BorderHooner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The forge is less than a mile away. If I can use chemical metal to make a temp repair while I wait for the part...

that would be cool - i've never used chemical metal and think it's only to be used on mild steel.

I now see on the loctite website there's a pastic padding called leak fix, for radiators and castings.

But the broke off part is 35mm wide and elongated to 50mm.

I'm scared the oil pressure will just blow this out.

Surely leak fix plastic padding is for small holes.

Last edited:

lwbnick

Reaction score
Website
euromerc.tumblr.com
Your Mercedes
expedition
The forge is less than a mile away. If I can use chemical metal to make a temp repair while I wait for the part...

that would be cool - i've never used chemical metal and think it's only to be used on mild steel.

Just get another one, if all your oil leaks out it's end of 609, there were stacks of these sold as midi busses, it won't be hard to get another one.

OP
B

BorderHooner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
thank you all sorted.

Got it off and have cleaned it up and will get it welded first thing.

Yes mine is an ex midi bus motorhome conversion.

But the part is not mercedes benz - it's from a 3rd party. So benz may not have it readily on shelf and may have to buy the whole unit.

But gonna ring merc at 7am when commercial parts open.

If they have one happy days.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Belzona from memory took a long long time to set Im sure I still have some of it from way way back......

MechPhil

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'87 260E
The part should definately be in stock with the MB dealer, these are almost considered "service" parts, since they are quite easy to crack. Ask for a "filter head".

Phil

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom