AMG 600 SL Recent Purchase.

brian bray

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 300 sl
I recently bought a 2000 SL 600 AMG all black (black repaint over original black) with black AMG wheels.

Suspension Questions:
1) The front goes up and down with the dash switch as intended but "settles" to the down position when the car sits overnight; pumps up quickly when car starts. Air bags replacement?
2) The rear is in the down position all the time (feels like it's riding on the bump stops) and the dash light saying "sport mode" is lit always. Air bags replacement? Anything else to look for?

Thanks in advance for your input. Brian Bray brianbray35@comcast.net

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
First off I don't think there was ever any such thing as an SL600 AMG. Yours is an SL600 or perhaps an SL60 (which is an AMG). The SL600.is a V12, the SL60 is a V8 (but as far as I'm aware was produced earlier than 2000 as it's M119 based).
Secondly the SL of that era was not air based. It was either coil springs and dampers or ADS which was the precursor to ABC. At that age it's likely ADS2. ADS is oleo hydraulic based on the Citroen hydro-pneumatic system. It has gas spheres for springing and hydraulic rams for height adjustment. These have sensors which feedback height information to an ECU which controls oil flow into valve blocks. The oil is pressurised by a pump which is part of the power steering pump. There is very little knowledge about these as they are a fairly rare system. You will almost certainly require Star in order to diagnose it correctly.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Or... it’s an SL600 R230 that someone’s AMG’d up...?

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
I missed out on 2 really nice ones recently. Both ludicrously priced and the sellers must have been well aware. I made good offers and was rejected, on the basis that there was little "wriggle" room. Found out later that both had been sold for thousands less than I had offered.:rolleyes: Dealers can be stupidly hard to deal with on occasion.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
I missed out on 2 really nice ones recently. Both ludicrously priced and the sellers must have been well aware. I made good offers and was rejected, on the basis that there was little "wriggle" room. Found out later that both had been sold for thousands less than I had offered.:rolleyes: Dealers can be stupidly hard to deal with on occasion.

In the same vain. I was trying to do a deal with somebody on Autotrader. Everytime I asked a question I got an exasperated SIGH down the phone like a stubborn child. Then a long explanation about how he's "not going to sell it anymore uegh"...... Some people are odd.

I agree. I hate trying to buy from a dealer that makes it sound like they are doing you a favour by letting you buy the car from them.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom