Amg Alloys and steel spare

lawman0189

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 2000 E320 cdi
Dear All,

I have a 2000 w210 e320 cdi with Amg alloys that were fitted from when the car was new as supplied to the first owner, I've checked this on the VIN websites which confirms these were supplied on my motor from new. the tyres on the front are 235/40/18 with alloy being 8J and the rears are 9J and the rubber is 265/35/18.

I always suspected I'd have a problem if a tyre blew as the spare is a 16inch steel spare with a whacking great bit of rubber on, never been used...

It happened yesterday on the A140 in Norfolk and could I get my recovery insurance people to understand the dilemna? err......eventually.

fortunately I was recovered to nearby Diss, and a new tyre was chucked on, however, I'm driving down to Montenegro in September and the issue with the spare will play on my mind.

my front and rear are different slightly different diameters, what is the best solution for a spare, as the supplied steel clearly would make the car sit on the wonk??

Scott

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
You just drive slowly to a place where the original can be fixed. top speed is given in the handbooks for using these wheels

brianbrian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 250D, SL129-deisel
I have bought another amg 8jx18 and had a tyre fitted 235/40/18 it fits in the well of the boot off my sl so can use it for front wheel, or rear wheel in an emergency, got the alloy wheel of EBay for £75.00. Hope this helps

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
I have staggered alloys (MB OEM) and a steel spare. This is fairly normal (and better than the alternative 'Tirefit' gloop sometimes offered).

As Malcolm says fit the spare and drive (max 50mph in my case, it says on the wheel) to a tyre shop.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have one of those blow up spares,,it has never been blown up, and it is now some 7 years old, it will be interesting to see if it will blow up

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
I believe the Tyrefit, puncture repair stuff should be replaced every 2yrs

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
For a 2000 car wouldn't the spare be a full size tyre (225/55W16) rather than a space saver, with the only difference being a different set of wheel bolts in order to allow for the difference in thickness of the alloy and steel wheel?

I wouldn't have thought that a full size spare would be speed restricted in the same manner as a space saver and it would certainly not be restricted to a maximum distance or to be replaced after use.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
For a 2000 car wouldn't the spare be a full size tyre (225/55W16) rather than a space saver, with the only difference being a different set of wheel bolts in order to allow for the difference in thickness of the alloy and steel wheel?

I wouldn't have thought that a full size spare would be speed restricted in the same manner as a space saver and it would certainly not be restricted to a maximum distance or to be replaced after use.

Correct, a full size spare can go the speed marked on that tyre.

Many AMG cars like on the 230 do not have a spare, as there is no room for one in the boot, and many S class cars do not come with one either

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05

I think the speed restiction is for the fact you will have one narrow wheel and one wide wheel on the same axle, so car related.
The reference to replacment is not for the spacesaver spare but the Tyrefit puncture repair gloop that some MB's have instead of carrying a spare wheel

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
I realise that the aerosol will require replacement, but I'm certain that some manufacturers specify that the space saver tyre is safe for a specified TOTAL mileage as well as a maximum speed and that it is such a low figure as to make it a one shot item.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom