AMG wheel corrosion - don’t want powder coating

OP
rorywquin

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
For £1300 you could have them refurbished diamond cut twice, that would Probably outlive your ownership of the car....

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
Exactly. I’ve had quotes and it is about 350 / set to have them looking like original so say 3x allowing for inflation. But there is a limit to the diamond cutting.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
The alternative is buying a set of winter wheels (fully painted). I’m using two sets (both with summer tyres) but like the winter wheels so much I’m running them all year round at the moment and the diamond cut wheels are just sat in the garage.

A bit of bartering might get you to a better place asking MB to provide 4 new wheels for £1300 (as you say the fourth will soon deteriorate) and you retaining and refurbishing your original alloys to winter spec (fully painted, you will need another set of tyres of course).

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
For £1300 you could have them refurbished diamond cut twice, that would Probably outlive your ownership of the car....

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Bang on, £1300 to replace 3 wheels is madness!!!! Particularly as I bet the wheels cost them a LOT less than £1300 so they will make money out of it

See if they will pay for the refurb of all 4.

OP
rorywquin

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
I enjoy a challenge. Taking it up with MBUK. They cannot argue that it is abuse as all are corroding out from the hubs and the rest of the wheel is pristine.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I enjoy a challenge. Taking it up with MBUK. They cannot argue that it is abuse as all are corroding out from the hubs and the rest of the wheel is pristine.
Have the tyres ever been changed? If so MB could argue that when the centre caps were removed and refitted, and when the wheel was put on the balance machine the lacquer damaged leading to the corrosion.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Have the tyres ever been changed? If so MB could argue that when the centre caps were removed and refitted, and when the wheel was put on the balance machine the lacquer damaged leading to the corrosion.

Not fit for purpose is it if removing a centre cap damages the lacquer that much

OP
rorywquin

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
No still original set - never been off the car.

OP
rorywquin

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Bang on, £1300 to replace 3 wheels is madness!!!! Particularly as I bet the wheels cost them a LOT less than £1300 so they will make money out of it

See if they will pay for the refurb of all 4.
I’m sure they would @ ~£350 for the lot. However, I don’t believe the clear coat, that the refurbishers use, is as hard as the MB product and stone chips will become an issue.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I’m sure they would @ ~£350 for the lot. However, I don’t believe the clear coat, that the refurbishers use, is as hard as the MB product and stone chips will become an issue.

MB don't make their own wheels so there is no such thing as "MB wheel lacquer"!!!!!

OP
rorywquin

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
MB don't make their own wheels so there is no such thing as "MB wheel lacquer"!!!!!
Would they not specify the paint to be used or would they hope for the best and trust the manufacturer to supply a good clear coat?

However my point was that I don’t believe that “Joe Local” wheel refurbisher would be using the best available or a quality equal to what is currently on the wheels (which poses it’s own questions). All the guys I spoke to only offer a 6 month warranty. MB would have be 3 years.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Would they not specify the paint to be used or would they hope for the best and trust the manufacturer to supply a good clear coat?

No, they specify the wheel design and finish i.e colour etc., everything else is down to the manufacturer

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
However my point was that I don’t believe that “Joe Local” wheel refurbisher would be using the best available or a quality equal to what is currently on the wheels (which poses it’s own questions). All the guys I spoke to only offer a 6 month warranty. MB would have be 3 years.

Then try one of the big boys like Spit and Polish. No-one in their right mind will guarantee diamond cut wheels for 3 years in this country, the climate is all wrong for them. 6 months is standard and I bet if you went for full powdercoat it would be a min 12 months

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I think most of us know that "your contribution" is at the most the net cost to MB and means they aren't paying anything.

I did expose that nonsense during one of my court spats with them.

I suppose they are foregoing their profit.

OP
rorywquin

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
I think most of us know that "your contribution" is at the most the net cost to MB and means they aren't paying anything.

Exactly what I said to them. I’ve written, will wait for a reply. Truthfully, I don’t expect to get very far.

OP
rorywquin

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Now with the ombudsman to see if they will take it on. May take a few months.

OP
rorywquin

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
................ the climate is all wrong for them. ................
Yet manufacturers continue to supply cars with diamond cut weeks to all those countries where “the climate is all worng for them”......Something is not right if they do not come with a warning that after a few years they will start corroding.

OP
rorywquin

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.

Did you win?

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yet manufacturers continue to supply cars with diamond cut weeks to all those countries where “the climate is all worng for them”......Something is not right if they do not come with a warning that after a few years they will start corroding.

Nope, but they look all shiny for the buyer and that is the most important part.

They usually get away with it as people kerb their wheels so they blame them for the milkyness

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Nope, but they look all shiny for the buyer and that is the most important part.

They usually get away with it as people kerb their wheels so they blame them for the milkyness

It's not just cars that are made with obvious fail points, and the manufacturers have been turning them out for years.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom