And then the dream went sour....

RiceBurner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 230TE
How much oil would a 230TE burn if a 230TE would burn oil?

Does a litre in just over 1000 miles sound excessive? When I bought the car the level was about halfway up the dipstick gap. Yesterday, after over 1000 miles in about 3 weeks - mostly motorway and some town driving I got the warning light and it was at the bottom of the dipstick reader. Topped up with a litre of 15W40 BP Visco (all that was available in the BP servce station I pulled into) and I'm now worried about how long that will last.

Also (it never rains...) the coolant light came on last night too! When I pulled away from the parking slot at work there was a "brick" sized puddle of water under the car, it was slightly coloured - coolant?
Are there any known coolant leak points that I need to check over? What's the best practise method - have the car running or run it, then stop and check the engine over?

All advise (even "wrong forum, asshole!") taken with thanks!

BlackC55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43
Mb say that 1l per 1000KM is okay (about 600 miles).

The coolant leak I suspect will be either from the wwater pump or radiator.

kbekl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 E300td
i had a leak from the thermostat housing as they are plastic the can go

OP
R

RiceBurner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 230TE
Cheers kbekl and BlackC55 - I'm a bit of a newby to Mercs - whereabouts in the engine bay am I looking for those parts?? (I need to buy a Haynes!!)

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Mb say that 1l per 1000KM is okay (about 600 miles).

As above. If you read the handbook, a very wide range of "normal" oil consumption is acceptable, but the higher consumptions I would expect in more arduous conditions - extremes of climate, regular short journey stop start, running on a cold engine, etc.

I have found that dipstick measurement can be very sensitive to anything other than measuring on a horizontal surface.

Before panicking (or getting depressed), I recommend - choose a truly horizontal surface, check oil and fill to upper mark on dipstick ideally with a cool engine which has been off for several minutes. Drive car normally for 500 miles. Return to same place and repeat reading.

My drive looks pretty horizontal to me (see avatar), but I can get quite different readings on the SL dipstick if I sit the car in front of the house facing east, then turn it round to face west. And the degrees off the horizontal must be negligible.

If you have full oil pressure when the engine is running, that is fine, though it might come down to 1/4 at the lights when on tick over - it should pop back up to full pressure when revved, or on take off.

I would do all this stuff before even considering alternative horrors. (when sat overnight, the oil can creep up the dipstick a bit above the upper level - don't worry, it is not overfull).

OP
R

RiceBurner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 230TE
As above. If you read the handbook, a very wide range of "normal" oil consumption is acceptable, but the higher consumptions I would expect in more arduous conditions - extremes of climate, regular short journey stop start, running on a cold engine, etc.

I have found that dipstick measurement can be very sensitive to anything other than measuring on a horizontal surface.

Before panicking (or getting depressed), I recommend - choose a truly horizontal surface, check oil and fill to upper mark on dipstick ideally with a cool engine which has been off for several minutes. Drive car normally for 500 miles. Return to same place and repeat reading.

My drive looks pretty horizontal to me (see avatar), but I can get quite different readings on the SL dipstick if I sit the car in front of the house facing east, then turn it round to face west. And the degrees off the horizontal must be negligible.

If you have full oil pressure when the engine is running, that is fine, though it might come down to 1/4 at the lights when on tick over - it should pop back up to full pressure when revved, or on take off.

I would do all this stuff before even considering alternative horrors. (when sat overnight, the oil can creep up the dipstick a bit above the upper level - don't worry, it is not overfull).

Sounds like good advice - cheers! I have a flat area in the driveway (over an inspection pit handily! ) which I will use.

I have a BMW flat-twin motorcycle which is similarly susceptible to misreading of the oil levels.

I think I was mostly fazed by the sudden appearance of the warning light - I truly didn't expect that sort of oil consumption. (and the later appearance of the coolant light added to my woe).

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
That is becuase of the metal particles in the oil being affected by the earths magnetic field and grouping at one end of the engine :rolleyes:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Sounds like good advice - cheers! I have a flat area in the driveway (over an inspection pit handily! ) which I will use.

I have a BMW flat-twin motorcycle which is similarly susceptible to misreading of the oil levels.
You should have chosen CoalBurner for your forum name :rolleyes:
They can also take ages to drain back out of the heads and until 15K miles can use over 1ltr per 1k miles. No use using fully synth in the boxer, I used mineral oil in the last one then switched to semi synth once it was run in.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
That is because of the metal particles in the oil being affected by the earths magnetic field and grouping at one end of the engine :rolleyes:

That's a relief Russ. I had suspected that the car might have been built by a Muslim Turkish "guest worker" in Stuttgart, whereupon East might have been his favoured orientation (so to speak)! :confused:

OP
R

RiceBurner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 230TE
You should have chosen CoalBurner for your forum name :rolleyes:
They can also take ages to drain back out of the heads and until 15K miles can use over 1ltr per 1k miles. No use using fully synth in the boxer, I used mineral oil in the last one then switched to semi synth once it was run in.

Riceburner I've used for 8+ years online. :)

My BM is still burning 1.5-2 litres of mineral every 6K, at 57,000 miles - I don't think it's run in yet...

slugman42

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 e230
If he was a christian turkish guest worker would that have made a difference ?
Which way is Mecca from Stuttgart ? :confused:
Back to "Riceburners " question ,does the car emit smoke on acceleration or after idling for long periods ? Are there any oil leaks ? If no...great.
A mechanic friend warned me that if the engine has been rebuilt with anything other than MB rings they will use oil.
Check the oil level using the methods above ,you should be fine .
As for the coolant leak ,fill the system when cold ,run the car & let the cooling system pressure up then check for leaks ( you might need a mirror & a torch ),remember water only runs downwards so the leak could be anywhere above the bottom hose (Yes Alex ,except in Australia where it runs up ! ......beat you to it ! ):lol: & can run along inner panels etc .
Hope this helps

slugman42

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 e230
That is becuase of the metal particles in the oil being affected by the earths magnetic field and grouping at one end of the engine :rolleyes:

Are they being attracted or repelled by the earths magnetic field ?
If you shipped the car over here would they group at the other end ?
Im very confused :rolleyes:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Are they being attracted or repelled by the earths magnetic field ?
If you shipped the car over here would they group at the other end ?
Im very confused :rolleyes:
I'm fairly sure they would swirl anti-clockwise south of the equator :cool:

OP
R

RiceBurner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 230TE
If he was a christian turkish guest worker would that have made a difference ?
Which way is Mecca from Stuttgart ? :confused:
Back to "Riceburners " question ,does the car emit smoke on acceleration or after idling for long periods ? Are there any oil leaks ? If no...great.
A mechanic friend warned me that if the engine has been rebuilt with anything other than MB rings they will use oil.
Check the oil level using the methods above ,you should be fine .
As for the coolant leak ,fill the system when cold ,run the car & let the cooling system pressure up then check for leaks ( you might need a mirror & a torch ),remember water only runs downwards so the leak could be anywhere above the bottom hose (Yes Alex ,except in Australia where it runs up ! ......beat you to it ! ):lol: & can run along inner panels etc .
Hope this helps

When I bought it I was given an opportunity to check the underside and there was a small amount of oil at the base of the bell-housing - but I was told the oil and filter had just been changed - so the oil could have been overspill.

Will try to get under the car again this weekend to look further.

slugman42

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 e230
When I bought it I was given an opportunity to check the underside and there was a small amount of oil at the base of the bell-housing - but I was told the oil and filter had just been changed - so the oil could have been overspill.

Will try to get under the car again this weekend to look further.

If you degrease it DONT get any water near the electronics ( plugs,sockets etc ) I know they are sealed but lets not intoduce any new faults ;)
Park the car over some old newspapers & see if you get any oildrops ?
If it is coming from the bell housing maybe a rear main seal leak ?
Good luck

The Crooner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2006 R320 cdi
Hi

Just for your information, I have a 230 with 200k on the clock and it uses no oil between services, I never even check it now.

Neither does it use water, but I agree with checking the thermostat housing and replacing if plastic - mine was cracked.

I also had to change my radiator, fortunately none of the parts are expensive.

Tony

kbekl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 E300td
the thermostat housing is infront of the engine with a radiator pipe coming off it just behind where the fan sits cant really miss it
housing was £12 including postage for the alloy one

i have to admit mine has done 207000 mile and i have done 2000 miles and not used any oil as of yet

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom