Android Auto for a new E Class (W213)

Yousuf Adia

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E200D 2018 E213
Hi

I have a new 18 Plate E200D SE. This is new but i think its a 2016 Model (Reg is 18), so just the lowest spec E Class

Now it doesn't have Android Auto.

Any idea how much this would cost to either get the dealers to install Android or get this Retro fitted?

Thanks

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
As far as I'm aware it cannot be retro-fitted, though the definitive answer would come from COMAND Online.

I have it on mine but don't use it, mainly because I'm a Luddite. :D

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I’m more of a Luddite in that I don’t even know what it is? Android phone connection possible or..? I am bad

SImon_RD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 E220d
I feel the OP's pain.

A good short description of Android Auto is this from Wikipedia.

"Android Auto is a mobile app developed by Google to mirror features from an Android device (e.g., smartphone) to a car's compatible in-dash information and entertainment head unit or to a dashcam. Once an Android device is paired with the head unit, the system mirrors qualified apps from the device to the vehicle's display, with a simple, driver-friendly user interface. Supported apps, include GPS mapping/navigation, music playback, SMS, telephone, and web search. The system supports both touchscreen and button-controlled head unit displays, although hands-free operation through voice commands is encouraged to minimize driving distraction. Android Auto debuted at Google I/O 2014, and the app was released on 19 March 2015. Android Auto is part of the Open Automotive Allianceannounced in 2014, and is a joint effort between 28 automobile manufacturers, with Nvidia as tech supplier."

I know its not a good way to start on a new forum by bad mouthing the car, but if there is one area of the Mercedes i truly hate, its the Comm, Nav and Entertainment I.T Solutions. On the Satnav front, I've used the command type and the Garmin type to date. Both are woefully inadequate, and Mercedes should be ashamed of its effort here. Just awful. You might think that's unfair, but I'm not done, because this applies to ALL car manufacturers - none of them can make an in-car system to decent standards (in software or hardware) that can match any high quality existing aftermarket system, and no manufacturer has any real excuse. They all should need to go back to design and development school on this front.

At this stage, I should point out i have long I.T back ground from support to development, through to operational management, and that allows me a bit more capacity to recognise rubbish in the I.T world. It also allows me the ability to envisage and even create far superior setups in my cars than any factory deploys. (That I have seen so far anyway). But admittedly, it means i do have much higher exceptions and standards than others not as exposed to I.T.

So it frustrates me to hell when i get in any car, and see the typical rubbish they are passing off for their I.T systems, and that people out there who buy and live with these things unknowingly. In my opinion, the people who design in-car I.T for the manufactures have little driving experience, very little design experience, and have NO idea how far behind current capabilities they are.

Android Auto goes some way to fixing the issue of rubbish manufacturer systems, but its currently a retro-fit/stop-gap BY A NON CAR manufacturer - Google, Who is again trying to solve the problem of car manufacturers not being able to make a decent I.T system in the first place. It shouldn't be needed.

Supposedly Android auto is supported in all new Mercedes models,but due to politics and profit, it requires significant hassle to be exposed to the user for functionality- i.e its hidden - but that's also irrelevant, as in my opinion Android Auto is not very good anyway - its just google exploiting manufacturers, and trying to create a captive environment, plus its still let down by antiquated hardware and design usage from the manufactures - including Mercedes.

Right now I don't use any part of the Mercedes entertainment or navigation system, its just too awful to work with by my standards, and stressful as hell. I have a large display android phone which I literally just push up on a mounting neatly next to the factory screen. Its far, FAR easy to work with, provides both more of, and FAR superior, services and information, in far quicker, simpler and easier interaction methodology. I can do much more, much quicker, much easier, its flexible and adaptive for new requirements as well, with much more capability. I often don't even pipe the audio though to the car most trips, the small speaker does a good enough job for Everything but music. So the Mercedes Nav, Communication and entertainment system is dead weight until that point when I need to push music through the speakers. its a better solution than what Android Auto offers to me, and it should be rubbish next to what Mercedes COULD do, but don't.

I encourage everyone to push your car's manufacturer to pick up their game on in car I.T systems, its one area they are all equally terrible at.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
So like Apple car play?

an apple slut at work says the restrictions on apple car play will be lifted in august allowing more stuff to work...

what puzzles me is when the car manufacturers provide a better more intuitive interface that controls the phone by BT for music and telephony and has a far better built in nav why do you want the retard phones limited joke over lay messing it up ? particularly when most android and car play systems then needs a wire to do it !

normanh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 C205 c250d prem+ in white,19" alloys, brown artico leather interior
would you not need a touch screen to get full benefits of apple car play.. I sought to do this with an R172 and was told mercedes command much superior to carplay. But each to their own i guess

OP
Y

Yousuf Adia

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E200D 2018 E213
My comand is bobbins. The Garmin is unusable. I would prefer Google maps but on the comands screen, hence this Android Auto

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom