annoying self leveling suspension

josewick

Reaction score
this is rather annoying really.

Ok, today i have taken a chance to buy the std rear suspension for my self leveling W208 230k sport. Actually, they fit, so i disconnet all pipes. it works well.

But since day one the rear ones were knackered, the front sits rather high, i am not sure if the front actually sits high or the back one sits very low.

Can i adjust the height of the front suspension?

Thanks

OP
J

josewick

Reaction score
Has springs got to do with it?As they all appear to be in good nick

meanie

Reaction score
Height adjustment on all springs is done by fitting different thickness insulator blocks on the tops of the springs,& as such is limited in it's range.
It's possible that cars with 'self levelling' may have softer rear springs fitted,but I wouldn't want to be quoted on that.

One point strikes me about deleting the hydraulic system-what have you done with the hydraulic pump?If it's now running dry I would be worried about it siezing up.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
One point strikes me about deleting the hydraulic system-what have you done with the hydraulic pump?If it's now running dry I would be worried about it siezing up.

This makes a very good 007 feature, someone following,just push the button and the oil sprays all over the road :rolleyes:

OP
J

josewick

Reaction score
Right guys, this problem has kind of been resolved.

I put some std springs on, the back end raised up a bit and I will live with that.

I was checking the reserviour (plastic bottle) to the in the engine bay, where I believe is where to fill the hydraulic system, obviously the bottle is empty due to the leaking shock i think. But i discover that the bottle is linked to the PAS pump ?

Please can someone confirm or correct me if i am wrong, that the hydraulic system is drivin by the PAS pump, and if it is, then I will not worry about it running dry.

If its a seperate belt drivin pump, then I will start worrying.

Now, the ****** car has given me a misfre problem (well it sort ofstarted last week anyway). I will start a new thread asking for help in the relevant section.

Thanks all.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Its a tandem pump, one for steering and one for suspension.

I cant see it being OK to leave empty, anyone ?

OP
J

josewick

Reaction score
so, its 2 seperate pumps?

I can;t see it being ok then.

What i am going to do if anything, is to blank off the pipes, but leaving some fluid in the tank.

HERBIEMERCMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97. E300.TD. 7 SEAT.ELEGANCE. EST.TOYOTA SUPRA MK4. RS. VAUX. CORSA.GLS AUTO. SPORT.
not sure if your car is the same as mine but suspect it probably is, if so i have a 97 e300 td. 7 seat. est. with self lev. susp.( sls), with the tandem pump. because my local garage replaced the sls pipes incorrectly there was no oil flow from the pump to the system, this went on for 18 months,no self leveling and bumpy ride,but pump and power steering ok. therfore if you blank off the flow and return pipes to the sls with 6mm stop ends compression fittings,you will just be left with the power steering. the power steering is the low pressure side of the tandem pump and the sls is the high pressure side, tandem is just a pump module inside a pump to utilise one drive, space saving under the bonnet. you can also switch to the lower spec hydr. oil if you wish as the higher more expensive oil was just for the high loadings and temperature for the sls side. herbiemercman.

Last edited:
Top Bottom