Another "I never knew that"

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
When the engine is off and the ignition is in the position where there are no dash lights - i.e. off, not only does the REST button allow warm air into the cabin but the heated seats still operate.

There must be some very capable electrics/battery stuff going on as I would have thought heated seats with the engine off would have been a no no :confused:

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
I didn't know about the seats but did the REST function. REST will cancel as soon as an under-voltage is detected.

Do the seats operate at all settings or just the lowest?

OP
Developer

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
Hello Peter,

I'll have to check again but as I recall, the heated seats were on and when I turned the key to off (and therefore the REST operable position), the seats stayed on at three :shock:.

I'll have another look next time I'm out.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Just reading the owner's handbook, seats will operate at all settings. If the LEDs flash it means under-voltage detected and they shut off, automatically back on when voltage high enough (damn clever, or what?)

The REST function also useful in the summer, when it will ventilate only. Operation depends on coolant temp and voltage but will shut-off after 30min max time. It will only run at the lowest blower setting

OP
Developer

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
Just reading the owner's handbook, seats will operate at all settings. If the LEDs flash it means under-voltage detected and they shut off, automatically back on when voltage high enough (damn clever, or what?)

The REST function also useful in the summer, when it will ventilate only. Operation depends on coolant temp and voltage but will shut-off after 30min max time. It will only run at the lowest blower setting

Yes, very clever - it's these little details that make the cars what they are.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Very interesting...but I only have 16s and no heated seats.;)

OP
Developer

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
Very interesting...but I only have 16s and no heated seats.;)

Ha ha, excellent C.

When I said turn the key at post #3, I actually meant push the start/stop button, but I was trying to be modest :lol:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
And I think of all the battery threads every year at this time :(:(

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Systems shut down before stressing the battery. It's all the short journeys that do the damage. Get the bike out, or use Shanks' pony!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Systems shut down before stressing the battery. It's all the short journeys that do the damage. Get the bike out, or use Shanks' pony!

The systems shut down when the system is on its last legs and that is 11,75 volt, so the top of the battery is creamed off, do a 2-3 mile drive home and your battery is still in very poor condition

OP
Developer

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo

Unless there's a particular reason (carrying capacity required, for example) I don't use my S211 for short journeys, pinching the wife's Focus where necessary.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
If I really have to use the car for what is a short journey, I'll use it as an excuse to go for that 'longer' drive! :)

OP
Developer

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
If I really have to use the car for what is a short journey, I'll use it as an excuse to go for that 'longer' drive! :)

Ha ha, me too - I bet Mondeo man doesn't, and that's why we buy these cars.

chris1200

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204
I did when I owned a Mondeo............and a Vectra and a 3 Series and a C Class and an Astra and another C Class and a 5 Series and my E Class and a host of other cars.

I, like most people who do such silly things, did it because I like driving. It isn't JUST about the car.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
The systems shut down when the system is on its last legs and that is 11,75 volt, so the top of the battery is creamed off, do a 2-3 mile drive home and your battery is still in very poor condition

and for this very reason Malcolm, I subjected myself to a 45 mile trip in the SL today. ;)

Bright sunny day, but I did manage to find a couple of showers of rain, which only just prevented any smugness setting in! :D

stwat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 300SE

My 1989 S-Class has this function too:)

It's very handy to have the radio and heated seat on whilst waiting for er indoors to finish shopping and not have all the dash lights lit up at the same time.

Top Bottom