Another rant, BMW 3 series owners.

mercmadjim

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK230k
I came across a very bad driver only yesterday in Truro, an old boy who seemed to have problems finding the loud pedal!! he was dawdling along in his e class at about 15mph, I was behind in my BMW trying to get past him, do you think he posted on here about impatient BMW drivers??

Oh and if you were the person in the E class, the pedal on the far right makes the car go faster and louder.

Think I will log onto the BMW forum now and say all Merc drivers are doddery old fools!!;);)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I came across a very bad driver only yesterday in Truro, an old boy who seemed to have problems finding the loud pedal!! he was dawdling along in his e class at about 15mph, I was behind in my BMW trying to get past him, do you think he posted on here about impatient BMW drivers??

Oh and if you were the person in the E class, the pedal on the far right makes the car go faster and louder.

Think I will log onto the BMW forum now and say all Merc drivers are doddery old fools!!;);)
Perhaps he had an economy remap :rolleyes:

LSD

Reaction score
This anti-BMW thing is mentioned so often, I guess it may be true to some extent. However, I've owned five BMWs (all Ms except for one, all 3 series except for one) and I've never experienced it at all.

Mr CLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK Cabriolet '04. C Class '65.
I have just decided that since the BMW (and some Audi) drivers are getting a bad name and I realise its too difficult to make them all improve their driving then I shall drive like them in my Merc! If you can't beat them, join them . . . just joking, I wouldn't lower myself to their standards!

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
i get it all the time at weekends, when im in a borrowed 3 series compact. but the fact the car isnt as relaxing a drive as a merc seems to MAKE you drive more agressively (at my age anyhow) as the car feels agressive and harsh compared to a merc. dont get me wrong, when ive got my own car, i dont hang around, but the BMW just makes you rush things, almost like subconsiously you are trying to end your journey as fast as possible and get out of the thing! with my merc, i tend not to want to get out of it at all!

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
This anti-BMW thing is mentioned so often, I guess it may be true to some extent. However, I've owned five BMWs (all Ms except for one, all 3 series except for one) and I've never experienced it at all.

Reminds me of my now departed father in law.

He had never been in a crash but had seen lots of them in his rear view mirror!

eGuru

Reaction score
Website
www.artguru.co.uk
Your Mercedes
C180 S204, S320 CDi
i get it all the time at weekends, when im in a borrowed 3 series compact. but the fact the car isnt as relaxing a drive as a merc seems to MAKE you drive more agressively (at my age anyhow) as the car feels agressive and harsh compared to a merc. dont get me wrong, when ive got my own car, i dont hang around, but the BMW just makes you rush things, almost like subconsiously you are trying to end your journey as fast as possible and get out of the thing! with my merc, i tend not to want to get out of it at all!

Exactly my thoughts. Some cars are just designed to be thrashed. Just shows how much thought goes into the design of MB, well most of them!:D

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver

I found the same with any BMW I've driven, it needs thrashed and needs to be causing maximum attack on any road :cool:

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
I found the same with any BMW I've driven, it needs thrashed and needs to be causing maximum attack on any road :cool:

exactly why i avoid them like the plague! i can get speeding tickets easily enough without that kind of assistance! (im amazed i never got any on my last big trip out to the warrington meet! bl**dy BMW drivers!!!):twisted::twisted:

GlynC

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi A8 Sport
Traded my 330i for the C class
2 reasons
1. bl**dy thirst for unleaded:mad:
2. Found it very uncomfortable, basically fell out of the door with a bad back after a couple of hundred miles!!:shock:

oh and it only felt good being hammered . Apart form that is was a decent motor really went well and gave no issues.:p
Found the autobox to be a tad slow and jerky dropping down gears

I see "large male hens" in most cars but 1st Place go's to Audi drivers these days, especially with those "blinkin" led lights!:rolleyes:

teabag

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 W163 ML270 CDI
when it comes to prattish behaviour on the roads.
Does not mean you have to drive a BMW, it just means you are an "@rsole".

On my commute to work at around 7-45am on the extremely busy A19 dual carriageway, it is a regular occurrence to see some idiot in any marque you may care to mention, sitting in the central reservation of a staggered junction facing the wrong way with headlights dazzling oncoming traffic; they will wait 5-10 minutes in this position trying to find a big enough gap to drive 100 yards on the wrong side of the carriageway in order to save a journey of 1 mile to the next slip road onto a roundabout where they could rejoin the stream of traffic and exit into the side road safely.

When you are driving at 70mph in the dark and see a pair of headlights coming towards you :shock::shock: it makes you thankful that your own @rsole is in good working order.:confused:

Last edited:

Lost in cyber space

Reaction score
My wife drives a 330ci (and I have to drive now and again).

I can confirm your doubts - these vehicles do nothing for one's moral, mental and social rectitude...........
;)

ncooper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1984 Mercedes Benz 280 SL,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Manual,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Auto
I've owned two BMW cars,one was a two door 325i,G registered.
It was an excellent car,especially the straight six engine,but every Vauxhall SRi driver wanted to race and I really couldn't be bothered.
I traded it in for a G registered 190,my first of three,(with loads of other marques in between).
Slow but steady and no one pestering me at all.
In 2004,I took leave of my senses and bought a new BMW 320D touring,the only new car I have ever owned.
Interestingly,it had more power than the 325i.
Frankly,it grew on me....it grew duller and duller and after two years,it was traded in for a Discovery,which my wife now drives.

I was still the same person,with the same driving style, in the BMW cars.
It was the SRi drivers' attitude which I found tiresome,engendered no doubt,by the same thoughtless stereotyping which started this thread.

Even among the ranks of those who hang their suit jackets in the back door window and leave themselves two hours to do a three hour journey to their next "meeting",I find there are some good drivers to offset the nitwits.

The aged truism,"you can't judge a book by its cover" might just as well read "you can't judge a driver by his car."

Regards,
Nick.

Disclaimer:Just my opinion,you may choose to differ

Last edited:
G

garysanderson

I was still the same person,with the same driving style, in the BMW cars.It was the SRi drivers' attitude which I found tiresome,engendered no doubt,by the same thoughtless stereotyping which started this thread.

True but the stereotype is very well founded as I'm sure many here would agree. Some people - perhaps not on this forum, will look at many MB cars and think that it's an old mans car. Not me BTW :)

My comment earlier about Volvo drivers was a hark back to the Eighties where the common stereotype used was 'Whenever I see a Volvo, it's being driven badly...'

They just seemed to attract a particular genre of driver in those days. Obviously since then, they've altered their image/designs and now attract a very wide range of drivers - covering all stereotypes :)

Last edited by a moderator:
G

garysanderson

I can relate to this - My wife has a Mini Cooper S which is a hard/edgy ride that feels eager and wants to be 'driven' which is great (for short journeys). The problem occurs when my wife (or me) is passenger in said car - we almost always have an argument. The car IS aggressive and I wonder if it's a similar thing with BMW. The perception of a Mini is different from BMW of course so driving it, you are treated differently.

ncooper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1984 Mercedes Benz 280 SL,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Manual,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Auto
Some people - perhaps not on this forum, will look at many MB cars and think that it's an old mans car. Not me BTW :)

Hello,

Regrettably,I have become an old man and probably also grumpy:?:

Regards,
Nick.

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
My comment earlier about Volvo drivers was a hark back to the Eighties where the common stereotype used was 'Whenever I see a Volvo, it's being driven badly...'

They just seemed to attract a particular genre of driver in those days. Obviously since then, they've altered their image/designs and now attract a very wide range of drivers - covering all stereotypes :)[/QUOTE]

I remember hearing a program on Radio 4 a while back from an insurance company re: Volvo's..
This insurance company reckoned that Volvo drivers were MORE likely to have an accident because they drove around under the impression that their cars were bullet proof and they could not be hurt in their "tanks".. This made them more aggresive and take more chances..
Must admit I smiled when I heard this. :D

LSD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LSD

Reminds me of my now departed father in law.

He had never been in a crash but had seen lots of them in his rear view mirror!

Hey! Not guilty! I meant the dislike thing, not being let out of sideroads etc.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom