Another rant, BMW 3 series owners.

J400uk

Reaction score
I think it varies in different parts of the country. In Leicester as an example they are always without fail driven by young asian men with loud music playing and tinted windows etc, driven exceptionally aggressively.

In Herts/ London the same cars are driven sensibly by fairly respectable middle aged folk.

3146bj

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 B180CDI, 2008 Golf Pacific, 2013 VW Tiguan 103TDI
The aggro from BMW's and Merc's is only exceeded by that from young "ladies" driving Hyundai Excels (the older the car, the more aggro). Funny how much more respect I get driving in the battered old Disco than in the wife's new Golf!

A180 Dream

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A180 Avantgarde SE Blue EFFICIENCY (1.7 Petrol)
That is without a shadow of a doubt the funniest thing I've read on here for a while considering the poster drives an A180. There's not enough roll-on-the-floor smilies available to reflect how much I laughed. Keep dreaming. ;)

I am glad that I provided you some amusement :).......I am deeply offended by your comments :shock:;)

Your forum name is very apt for your attitude..........I hope your attitude on the road is better.

I was led to believe that there was no prejudice on these forums and that ALL Mercedes owners were welcome here............regardless of the type owned.

That is clearly not so.

I am proud of my Mercedes and drive it with the courtesy often not shown by some BMW drivers and others on this forum :rolleyes:

Last edited:

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
I am glad that I provided you some amusement :).......I am deeply offended by your comments :shock:;)

Your forum name is very apt for your attitude..........I hope your attitude on the road is better.

I was led to believe that there was no prejudice on these forums and that ALL Mercedes owners were welcome here............regardless of the type owned.

That is clearly not so.

I am proud of my Mercedes and drive it with the courtesy often not shown by some BMW drivers and others on this forum :rolleyes:
Ooops! Sorry!

You did indeed provide me with some amusement but if I have overstepped the mark with my reply then you have my unreserved apology. I wouldn't wish to make anybody feel uncomfortable or unwelcome on this fine forum.

I do get very tired of the whole stereotyping thing as, in my view, it leads directly to the sort of treatment I described in an earlier post. Fact is, it doesn't matter how I drive my car, if I'm in the BMW people will go out of their way to interfere with my journey in one way or another and I don't mean they won't move out of my BMW lane. ;) It spoils what is otherwise a superb car, a car which I picked after testing several others including a couple of W211 320 CDI's.
I have very little brand loyalty in me and therefore also very little potential to stereotype other makes or their drivers. As much as I like my W124, it's a car not a lifestyle and any replacement may well be of a different make.

Anyway, that out of the way, back to matters in hand. A class, 3 series, A class, 3 series, hmm nope can't make my mind up. :D

Telviking

Reaction score
'move out of my BMW lane. '

I always wondered what that outside lane was for...
that's why I have to break the law and use the middle 'Yamaha' lane when I'm out for a ride:D

Anyhow as for 3 series BM's they are nice..

It's the X5 drivers who get in my way!!:mad:

Last edited:
G

garysanderson

I remember a quote a client of mine made when we left his place on the way down to London one fine morning. It was just as we were turning right onto a busy main road. He was driving a diesel discovery and we weren't waiting many seconds before someone flashed us out. The car behind us was an almost brand new BMW 6 series and my client made some comment that he would be there all day in his £60k BMW...

I'm not now or in my previous comments saying that ALL BMW drivers are the same, nor Audi drivers, MB drivers drivers et all. BUT a great many of the aformentioned marques are driven by a certain 'type' of individual. Now, whether BMW drivers being treated as BMW drivers self-perpetuates the legend or not - there's a debate ;)

And I can't resist saying a little something about Honda CRV's..... Personally I am so often stuck behind one of these being driven slowly+badly and/or by someone intent on being out for the day and having all day to get there is beyond belief! This is not just since I've had my CLK either, happens to me in the wife's Mini and my old VW Passat.

To end this post on a positive note, I do find that having the Mercedes Benz three pointed star on the front of my vehicle does seem to afford me a higher level of respect on the road than anything else I have ever driven. I find I'm being let out of side roads/junctions almost immediately now, people move over on the motorway a little more keenly than previously - all of which is nice :) I've also found that I'm in less of a hurry and am quite happy to do the same in return and allow people to cross the road, etc. Stopping on the amber light rather than trying to squirt through before red.

All in all, I'm very much enjoying driving again and thinking of all sorts of reasons to go on longer journeys :)

Lisa Jayne

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 SLK 230K & 2003 ML270 CDI Inspiration
To end this post on a positive note, I do find that having the Mercedes Benz three pointed star on the front of my vehicle does seem to afford me a higher level of respect on the road than anything else I have ever driven. I find I'm being let out of side roads/junctions almost immediately now, people move over on the motorway a little more keenly than previously - all of which is nice :) I've also found that I'm in less of a hurry and am quite happy to do the same in return and allow people to cross the road, etc. Stopping on the amber light rather than trying to squirt through before red.

All in all, I'm very much enjoying driving again and thinking of all sorts of reasons to go on longer journeys :)

I have noticed this too since driving my Mercedes, when I had my various BMW's, VW Golf's I could sit in my drive till tea time waiting to pull out to get to work in the mornings..........I now only have to poke my bonnet out an inch and some nice driver lets me out :D I don't get the harrassment from the hot hatch brigade like I used to either, I get left alone to make my journey in peace ;)

kristoff

Reaction score
I definately found that I didn't get let out at junctions when I had my M3. Things have improved in the merc, but still not as good as when I drive my astra van, everyone lets me out. No idea why that is. Maybe people know I'm always in a hurry and know I won't hold them up.

Most times I find when I'm going to let a BMW driver out, if its a fairly new car, they are on the ****** phone and don't notice me waving them out. So now I don't often bother.

cmax200

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C230 Sport
I find the ones that I try and avoid are driving 4 wheel monsters, who think they own the road, that includes those driving Mercs. Just try and get past a school when its near closing time and they are everywhere, park/pull out without regard to anyone or anything.

kristoff

Reaction score
Ooooops, thats me then.

Although I never venture near schools.

Colleges however, are a different story.

Rollin in ma' benz on dubs..........................lol

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
I can't say I've noticed anything bad about BMW drivers to be honest. My dad used to drive one, he also used to have a Volvo :shock: and he was the best driver I had ever encountered and was also very courteous to other drivers on the road.

In the couple of weeks that we have owned the Porsche I have to say I've noticed we've had a lot of the big 4wd cars cutting us up and trying to race us at the traffic lights. They think because they are driving huge, high cars that we are just there to be knocked out the way :shock:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I can't say I've noticed anything bad about BMW drivers to be honest. My dad used to drive one, he also used to have a Volvo :shock: and he was the best driver I had ever encountered and was also very courteous to other drivers on the road.

In the couple of weeks that we have owned the Porsche I have to say I've noticed we've had a lot of the big 4wd cars cutting us up and trying to race us at the traffic lights. They think because they are driving huge, high cars that we are just there to be knocked out the way :shock:
A friend of mine went from a 328 to a Boxster and he thought he was hated when he was in the BM until he started driving the Porsche then he realised he was positively adored previously to the way he was treated in the Boxster.

Splatt

Reaction score
I remember an occurance last year when a 4x4 who was behind thought he would muscle past at the traffic lights which also throttle the road from 2 lanes to 1. He suddenly dissapeared and when I looked in the mirror he was hung up on the kerb of the central reservation. Bolshy ? Moi ?

ricw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 CDI estate 2007, SL320 (129), 300TE
An amusing story from a couple of years ago: I'd arrived late one evening at Bristol airport and, as it was teaming down with rain, I boarded the courtesy bus to get to my car in the car park. A couple of other groups of people got on and off we went. After dropping off the others we were nearing the area where my car was and the driver asked me what car I was driving so that he could drop me off as near as possible to avoid getting wet (very thoughtful of him). I told him it was a silver Mercedes but I wasn't exactly sure where it was (it's an age thing). By now we're crawling along a row and I'm standing next to him peering out into the filthy night when I thought I spotted it. "There it is, about five cars down on the left" I said. "no, sir" he replied, "that's a BMW". "Ah", says I. "an easy mistake to make". His response: "can be with the cars, sir, but never with the drivers, I find".

I love telling that story to BMW drivers. Now, where's that copy of "How to Win Friends ..."?

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but this is mine...

022-1.jpg

I do drive it very aggressively, it kind of encourages you to do that!!..., but it never gets used on the public road.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I do drive it very aggressively, it kind of encourages you to do that!!..., but it never gets used on the public road.
Tailgating is aceptable on the track :p

Micman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180K Avantgarde SE
You do notice a certain driving style from certain makes of car.

I notice BMW drivers fall into 3 camps - there are those younger drivers who have a clapped out very old shape 3 series BMW who drive like complete T@$$£RS and think they are the DB's. There's the modern company car drivers in white shirst who look like high pressure salesmen in a constant rush to get to an appointment and then there's the more laidback group with a nice shiny new example just wafting along minding their own business.

I think it's fair to say the same groups apply to Merc drivers - only I don't think you get many of the young driver tearaways attracted to old Merc cars, I think it is reversed for Merc's and this group instead becomes the grey retired generation - those that drive spot on the 30mph speedlimit - only trouble is they do that 30mph everywhere including motorways and dual carriageways and then pull away from you in 20mph zones!!!

I've been stuck behind as many annoyingly slow Sunday drivers in a Merc as I have had a tearaway BMW up my arse!!! oooh eeer!

I have to say though that for me the most annoying car drivers out there at the moment seem to be in Audi's. I always have an aggresive Audi darting around in the rear view mirror. I think the answer to this is simple - the c@cks that did have BMW's have got new company cars and now drive Audi's he he he :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I'd be willing to bet that if I visited an Audi owners forum over 50% of them would list owning at least one BMW as their previous mode of transport. lol

Last edited:

kayem

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w211 270cdi
What you really need is an old Lotus.
I previously owned an Excel and an Elan and fellow travellers would virtually pull off the road and park up on the verge to accomadate me.
Absolutely unbelievable.
Ken

JEZ.S320L

Reaction score
Website
www.latorreonline.es
Your Mercedes
Lincoln Navigator and a S320L Business Edition

See the ML - WELL - I've been in that :p

Can't see the AMG - but I've bin in that too :p:p

Uncle Benz? Aggressive, yes - BUT soooooooooooooo SAFE :p:p:p

How ya'doin Gareth?

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
The C32 has a tiny corner of one headlight just in that shot. Right hand bottom corner...

Ticking along nicely, thanks for asking!!

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom