Another rant, BMW 3 series owners.

coolhans

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Present 2004 W211 E500, 1995 W124 E320 CE Coupe.
I really wish sometimes that BMW never released the 3 series. I don't know if it's just me but I seem to find that most people who drive them are aggressive, rude and have very bad manners whilst they are on the road. I have found this to be even more the case since I have been fortunate enough to be able to own a Mercedes. I am constantly getting tooting of horns, revving of engines and shaking of fists and other visual signs. Quite often after this has happened and I have been overtaken I find that I am immediately behind them at the next set of lights so what's the point I ask myself. I drive an E280 CDI Sport estate which is a very capable car but I don't feel the need to drive like a ****** lunatic as it's pointless in todays traffic conditions, apart from that it's a waste of fuel, tyres and general wear and tear on the car. I am not pointing the finger at all 3 series owners and my eldest son has one but they do seem to stand out in the crowd when it comes to prattish behaviour on the roads. Maybe it's just me or maybe there is some truth in my observations. Perhaps there should be a cull. Rant over.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
couldnt agree more. thats my experience of MOST bmw drivers, not just 3 series! there are some that are fine, but the some make themselves noticed and they seem to be in the majority, and its a shame as the bmw is a fairly decent car on the whole. doesnt ride half as nice as a merc and generally not as nice to live with in my limited experience (im using one most weekends at the moment) its the owners in too many cases, and of course they are owned, as a general rule by younger people than generally own MB's

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
Hi everyone..
I shall tell a short story that is actually true re BMW's..
Some years ago I owned a VW Golf and there is a particular busy cross road I have to cross on the way to work. On average I tend to have to wait for 6 or 7 cars before someone flashes me to let me go..
After that VW Golf I bought a BMW 330D and on the very first day of owning it at that very same cross road I had to wait 36 cars (yes I counted)..
Someone forwarned me that I would notice a certain hatred and change of attitude but I must say I was amazed how profound it was.
I dont seem to encounter any hostility with the Mercedes I now own.

:D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I can understand the thinking Simon on what you said,,I dislike the drivers of those things

xavierx

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 W211 E320 CDi
I think it would not be accurate to say that this is just a trait of 3 series drivers, or even BMW drivers as a whole. This type of "I'm more important than you" agressive "Get out of my way" and "I am far too rich to use my indicators" driving comes in equal doses from drivers of all higher priced cars, BMW, Jaguar, Porsche and yes Mercedes drivers too.

Now I am well aware that every single person on here is going to respond with "what a load of rubish.... I always use my indicators" .... but seriously, I can't remember the last time I saw a Mercedes indicating on a motorway/roundabout or before trying to pull into a parking space. :)

I find myself wondering, will I ever get to the stage where I too think I am more important than others just because I drive a Mercedes? I hope not

A180 Dream

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A180 Avantgarde SE Blue EFFICIENCY (1.7 Petrol)
Stereotyping is a dangerous attitude to adopt.
There are good and bad drivers of ALL marques of cars
The BMW forums are full of people criticising Mercedes drivers, The Honda forums have their critics of other Jap marques
Being different from each other is what makes life so interesting.
Instead of being critical of BMW drivers why not pity them for their choice of vehicle ;):)

MarkF

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270CDi
I drive over 1000 miles every week mostly M6, M56. The most problems I have with bad driving is, yes you guessed it BMW idiots.
I will not call them drivers as this is an insult to the other people on the roads that can drive.
Almost lost the rear of my company car on the M6 2 weeks agon by a BMW drived being to close, could not see his lights and I had to breake hard, after he did stay away from my car.
As I say its not all BMW drivers but in my experiance they are the ones who cause the most problems especialy when I'm in the Merc.

OP
coolhans

coolhans

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Present 2004 W211 E500, 1995 W124 E320 CE Coupe.
Hello A180 dream. I suppose that you are right about pitying them and I don't mean to stereotype people, it's just that this aggressive behaviour is something that I have genuinely noticed. I realise that here is good and bad in every group and I admit I am not the perfect driver by any means but I always try to be courteous and patient with other people and I just wish that people would afford me the same courtesy.

BarryF

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
320 cdi avantgarde estate
Just as bad as BMW drivers are the people who dont realise there is a volume
knob fitted to stereo's. So many of these twerps drive around in built up areas all times of the day and night sounding like a pop concert. Plod should be issued with club hammers for use when they stop them. Barry

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Its funny. I went with a friend to the local BMW dealer. He took out a 530i demonstrator. Came back and I asked how it went, he said, "Lovely car, really lovely car ..but I couldn't possibly buy one. I went up and down that dual carriageway and didn't do anything unusual, but I was beeped three times and when I went to change lanes they didn't let me out. "
After a bit more trawling, and the trip over to the BMW dealer in my E class, he drives an E320cdi now.

I guess people give BMW drivers less leway, in the same way as I normally find they more often than not move over when faced with a 3 pointed star in their rear view mirrors. I have come across the odd green eyed idiot in the merc but its rare. I suppose if people treated me as badly on the roads as most BMW drivers, I'd be less ameanable too.

Interestingly though, many traditional BMW drivers have moved to Audi in recent years...

But, if you want a real phallas, you have to look for a Ferrari. I'm sure there are nice owners out there, but every one I've come across is desperatley compensating for something!

mercmadjim

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK230k
Mmmmm, I got a BMW, and a Mercedes?? I like both cars and drive them exactly the same.

G

garysanderson

When I'm not driving my '55 I'm quite often found mountain biking - usually on the roads around where I live. Maybe 7-8 trips out of 10 I get 'buzzed' by some eejit who seems to think it's a game to see how close he can get to me as he passes (usually with nothing coming the other way). 9 times out of 10, it's a BMW driver... Most of the remaining 10% are Audi's with one exception - there's a silver ML370 with a private plate who has done this to me 2 or 3 times over the past year... I can only assume he/she usually drives a BMW/Audi or possibly USED to drive a Volvo ;)

Peter De La Mare

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
15 reg E63, 14 reg Smart Passion and 64reg Caterham Levante.
I've owned 4 BMW 3 series cars over the years, and I can't say that I recognise the behaviour at all. I guess I have an open mind to operators of different marques and not following trends of talking bullpoo about other drivers just because it's seen to be the done thing by your peers.

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
Instead of being critical of BMW drivers why not pity them for their choice of vehicle
That is without a shadow of a doubt the funniest thing I've read on here for a while considering the poster drives an A180. There's not enough roll-on-the-floor smilies available to reflect how much I laughed. Keep dreaming. ;)
Mmmmm, I got a BMW, and a Mercedes?? I like both cars and drive them exactly the same.
That makes no difference Jim, once you're in that BMW it's game over. :roll:

...... or possibly USED to drive a Volvo
I used to drive a Volvo, I believe Malcolm still does. Your point? :lol:

Oh I do like a good stereotyping session. I was determined to stay out of this thread but once again temptation got the better of me.
Does anyone remember the TV ad a few years ago with the phrase 'Inadequate car Sir?' I can't think of any other reason for the universal bashing of drivers of the other make but I guess if it makes you lot feel better then it's cheap therapy and I'll try harder to leave you to it. :)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
How you drive very much affects how other drivers react to you. Yes there is car and driver stereotyping but how you drive has a much greater effect on how you are treated by other drivers.
I take pleasure in letting people out and waving people across the road in front of me. It makes me feel better and the other driver or pedestrian who probably wasn't expecting the "berk in the merc" to let them out has a nice surprise and with luck their day will only improve.
If however you are like the kitchen fitter van than almost forced my family and I off the road in the Caravelle last week when the overtaking move they tried to make went badly wrong you will get a letter of complaint to your company and with luck everything you deserve.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Oh I do like a good stereotyping session. Does anyone remember the TV ad a few years ago with the phrase 'Inadequate car Sir?' :)

I only drive Mercedes Benz these days, he said haughtily.

When we see another Mercedes being driven badly (and they are at least as capable of doing so as any other brand), the navigator and I tend to chorus "Bl**dy Mercedes drivers"! - whilst laughing out loud and avoiding the felon.

A good car does not make anyone a good driver.
A fast car does not make anyone a fast driver.

Each car is only as good as the person behind the wheel, and no brand is immune to the sorts of antics described here.

Discuss.

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
How you drive very much affects how other drivers react to you. Yes there is car and driver stereotyping but how you drive has a much greater effect on how you are treated by other drivers.
I an ideal world perhaps but not where I live. I was following my wife through a fine city yesterday, I was in the Saab and she was in the BMW. She's one of the most courteous drivers you could wish to meet yet you wouldn't believe the amount of people trying to cut her up or blocking the lane just to get in her way. I really wasn't funny.
I take pleasure in letting people out and waving people across the road in front of me. It makes me feel better and the other driver or pedestrian who probably wasn't expecting the "berk in the merc" to let them out has a nice surprise and with luck their day will only improve.
I drive like that as well regardless of which car I'm in. It won't affect the way some of the people who posted will view me once I'm in the BMW or have I missed thread about how nice BMW drivers are?

If however you are like the kitchen fitter van than almost forced my family and I off the road in the Caravelle last week when the overtaking move they tried to make went badly wrong you will get a letter of complaint to your company and with luck everything you deserve.
Sorry to hear that happened to you. I would like to think that it was, as you described, a move that went wrong rather than a deliberate attempt to force you off the road. Lack of judgement perhaps and good job nothing serious happened?

Parrot of Doom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Was an E300TD, now a Lexus LS400
The only bit of road rage I ever experienced while driving the Chimaera was from a 3-series BMW. A 330i no less.

He was enraged because I was easily able to pull away from him at 60mph in fifth gear while he dropped down, and because by the time he'd passed 100mph to get past my 80mph or so, I'd pulled back into lane three to overtake another mile-long stretch of cars in lane 2.

It was ****** hilarious. But seriously though, you'll find muppets in all marques of car. Bad driving isn't a trait common to BMWs, its just that the stereotype makes you notice it more.

Wirral_guy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 CLK270cdi Avantgarde
I drive over 1000 miles every week mostly M6, M56. The most problems I have with bad driving is, yes you guessed it BMW idiots.
I will not call them drivers as this is an insult to the other people on the roads that can drive.
Almost lost the rear of my company car on the M6 2 weeks agon by a BMW drived being to close, could not see his lights and I had to breake hard, after he did stay away from my car.
As I say its not all BMW drivers but in my experiance they are the ones who cause the most problems especialy when I'm in the Merc.

Mark

I do the M56 journey a lot and agree to a certain extent except I find that it is both BMW and, more often than not, Audi drivers. I think I have yet to see an Audi A3 not driven aggressively!

Dave

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom