Another year - another MOT

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I'm sorry to pick you up on this, but it's a personal gripe of mine. You mean ferrules. Please accept my sincerest apologies.

Pedant mode off.

Yes and thank you,,,I knew it was not the right word but my spell check could not find it

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
Well mine gets its MOT on Saturday ..... First one following its secondary cats being cut out .... ..WhiteNemesis are you watching?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well mine gets its MOT on Saturday ..... First one following its secondary cats being cut out .... ..WhiteNemesis are you watching?

Good luck young man

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
My CBR 600 is nearly 20 years old nod has passed without issue every year. My W211 failed on it's second MOT... For the grooving on the inside edge of the front tyre

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My CBR 600 is nearly 20 years old nod has passed without issue every year. My W211 failed on it's second MOT... For the grooving on the inside edge of the front tyre

Putting a car in for the test with faulty tyres, what ever next;)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
The problem with the 211 is that the tyres are so wide that it's almost impossible to see the inside shoulder without getting it up on a lift

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I agree its near on impossible with 285's

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MOT ended up getting done today.

Sailed through the guy said..everything looked good ...

He asked if I knew the secondary cats had been cut out...i told him it was the subject of much debate about whether it would pass or not with that done... He said there was no reason to fail it since it met the emission criteria and still had cats ..never entered his mind to fail it..he just wanted me to know it had been done...

:rolleyes:

w44nty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270CDI 2002,C180 Kompressor
Had my MOT on the ML yesterday,it failed on an indicator bulb,part of the orange was missing,no advisories ,not bad for a 12 year old car.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MOT ended up getting done today.

Sailed through the guy said..everything looked good ...

He asked if I knew the secondary cats had been cut out...i told him it was the subject of much debate about whether it would pass or not with that done... He said there was no reason to fail it since it met the emission criteria and still had cats ..never entered his mind to fail it..he just wanted me to know it had been done...

:rolleyes:

Nice car you have there :D:D

OP
jberks

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Just a question (not a troll, honest)...

Does passing with no advisories mean in 'x' number of years you've done nothing to the car? No repairs etc.

Or does it mean you're having things fixed at time of service when its spotted but before the MOT says its needed?

I just wonder as perhaps in the long term the fix when it fails is cheaper?

No - fixed nothing for a long time. Keep expecting something to crop up but nothing has.

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Nice car you have there :D:D

It certainly is .. As you well know .... Getting a bit of a thump from drivers side rear window/roof bit when going over bumps... ( I know I shouldn't - before you tell me off! ) ..anything that could possibly need tightened slightly in that area? Might be the glass up too tight to roof I think so will try to make that stop slightly shy of it ... But anything else you can think of?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It certainly is .. As you well know .... Getting a bit of a thump from drivers side rear window/roof bit when going over bumps... ( I know I shouldn't - before you tell me off! ) ..anything that could possibly need tightened slightly in that area? Might be the glass up too tight to roof I think so will try to make that stop slightly shy of it ... But anything else you can think of?

I have been thinking hard on this one, my driveway is on a steep slope, getting out forces you onto the rear window sometimes,,I wonder if anything is strained, its odd as I had the car 6 years without any noises, is the sound at roof level or waist level

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
More roof level Malcolm ... I get out look at it ...push a bit and it seems firm enough ....will take some time over weekend and see if I can get a better idea of exactly where it is .... Pretty sure it's something just needing slightly tightened somewhere or something... ..

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I will check as soon as I can how the C pillar lining comes off:D

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Despite cramming my son into the rear of the car to listen for noises not entirely sure we worked out what it was. all we could find was a minor metall n metal noise coming from the metal hinge joining it to the side of the roof... Opening the roof and pulling the metal against it it has some play in it ..can't get any other noise out of it really despite everything we tried... Got the torx screwdriver out to see if I could tighten it but to no avail. It's as tight as a tight Yorkshiremans wallet when out on a pub crawl ....

Might try wrapping something round it to cushion it just to see if its definitely it though... Not convinced but best guess I can make right now...

dml

Reaction score
Website
invalid.name
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500
I noticed this metal rattling noise on mine the other day - it stopped after a while though... I wonder if it's temperature related as by the time it stopped the cabin was nice and toasty.

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
I noticed this metal rattling noise on mine the other day - it stopped after a while though... I wonder if it's temperature related as by the time it stopped the cabin was nice and toasty.

It is approaching the time of year when I will be reapplying Krytox to all the rubber seals on my car and ALL points of contact when the Vario roof is up.....or down for that matter.
It is a tiresome job and takes several hours......with the roof up, roof down and partly up/down......there are lots and lots and lots of places of contact whether it be rubber on rubber, rubber on metal or metal on metal, rubber on glass.
It is supposed to be a once in a lifetime job creating a slip film for all the contact points to continue to move or rub against one another BUT silently.
I have determined to do the job annually as an iterative procedure because it is almost certain that the effect must wear off and even more certain that each year I will miss a contact point or two by virtue of my own failing.
I do it at this time of year (each of the last two years) because for the next few months the car will predominantly be driven as a coupe and the ambient temperatures will be relatively low.
Once done well the car will continue to drive as free from creaks and rattles as a fixed head coupe.

Your observations are absolutely correct in that any creaks and rattles with the Vario roof are found out or exaggerated as the ambient temperatures drop.

Mic

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom