Antifreeze, what is the difference in colours

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
Hi,
my wifes SLK has yellow antifreeze in it, can you mix blue with it? What is the difference? I was told that her MGF should only have the yellow put in it because of the type of engine. The difference is??

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The difference is,, an all alli engine, or a iron block and alli head, or all iron engine, it tells you on the bottles, or it should

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
The difference is,, an all alli engine, or a iron block and alli head, or all iron engine, it tells you on the bottles, or it should

If only it were so straightforward!

There are differences in the chemistry of modern anti-freezes, and, unless you're absolutely sure about the specific chemistry of the anti freeze used in your car, I would always stick to anti freeze from the car's manufacturer.

I'm not a chemist, so, I don't know any more detail, but, I do know that our MBs have expensive duo valves and auxiliary pumps wetted by the coolant, and I do know that getting the anti-freeze chemistry wrong can result in the plastic parts of the system being chemically attacked from within.

GEORGEROV

Reaction score
You'll get away with mixing them in certain cases but in others you'll get a sludge developing which wont do the cooling system any good so if in doubt just use one kind in the system.

G-a-r-y

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S211 320 CDi, SLK 200 R171.
Blue/Green anti freeze is Ethylene Glycol and the pink stuff is Propylene Glycol, I think the pink is less toxic but blue is deadly poisonous. Don't drink or even taste it as some people do to test the strength.

Tashman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W123-300D, W123-240D, 507D campervan, W210-E220CDI, W114-250
If you have blue/green antifreeze and what to upgrade to one of the more modern ones (pink/orange/yellow/red) be sure to thoroughly flush the entire cooling system first.

Ultymate

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C230K Estate 1998
Blue/Green anti freeze is Ethylene Glycol and the pink stuff is Propylene Glycol, I think the pink is less toxic but blue is deadly poisonous. Don't drink or even taste it as some people do to test the strength.

I should be dead several times over then ;)

G-a-r-y

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S211 320 CDi, SLK 200 R171.
There are only two types of anti freeze, as mentioned. These shouldn't be mixed. Any colour variation is due to brand and additives used to prolong life or aid cooling.

pomm001

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 500 R231 A clas W169
There are only two types of anti freeze, as mentioned. These shouldn't be mixed. Any colour variation is due to brand and additives used to prolong life or aid cooling.

Not quite the wholw picture, yes there are two main types of gylcol EG's and PG's as you refer, but there another 3 or 4 organic acid variants
Most modern 'coolants' are of the organic acid type, also know as OAT.As mentioned if you are not really sure what you have dont mix it .
this link gives a brief overview of coolant, no doubt there is a newer one somewhere

http://www.filtercouncil.org/techdata/tsbs/05-2.pdf

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W638, W140, W220, W639 All gone but not forgotten
An interesting read, so how does Mercedes claim up to 15 years before changing?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded

This seems to be e recent thing,,looking through WIS the frequency of the changes varies with the model of the car.

I have know a lot of cars that needed new rads in this last few weeks due to blocking up

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W638, W140, W220, W639 All gone but not forgotten
In all honesty Malcolm I would never leave the same anti-freeze in a vehicle for 15 years. By the time my V-Class which I bought new had reached 140k I decided that it was time to change the hoses and whilst doing so changed the anti-freeze. There was nothing wrong with the old hoses, but when you have to depend on a vehicle and can't afford for it to break down then preventative maintenance is the key word

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
Not quite the wholw picture, yes there are two main types of gylcol EG's and PG's as you refer, but there another 3 or 4 organic acid variants
Most modern 'coolants' are of the organic acid type, also know as OAT.As mentioned if you are not really sure what you have dont mix it .
this link gives a brief overview of coolant, no doubt there is a newer one somewhere

http://www.filtercouncil.org/techdata/tsbs/05-2.pdf

It's a minefield!

jimsinessex

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 W209 CLK 320CDI Coupe

It appears they use a "hybrid" anti-freeze which coats the aluminium surface with a silica compound. The extended life comes from a "slow release protection device", actually a packet of silica gel in the coolant reservoir. This allows the coolant change to be extended to 15yrs or 150,000 miles. It cannot be applied retrospectively just by changing the type of anti-freeze.

More details are available at:
Click here: https://www.mbwholesaleparts.com/StarTuned/pdfs/AntiFreeDec04.pdf

Jim

OP
B

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
Interesting

Top Bottom