Any advice on this S63?

Hotspur

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
All, having missed out on the others I was looking at, I have now landed at this - any thoughts and comments on this car?

Also - I cant tell the ad in some places mentions its an S63L and others not, so not if its a LWB or not.

Is the price reasonable? and what should I check for?

Plus the head bolt issue - is that a 100% failure or didnt happen to all cars?

Thanks in advance to all those who comment and give advice.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Re LWB or not, call the seller and ask, or get the vin from them and check, the adverst does say L at the top.

You are probably best positioned to know if the price is right or not having a looked at a few.

If the car drives and if fine, dont worry about the headbolt issue, owning a S63 and paying out on such a repair shouldnt cross your mind. Owning such a car, you need the wallet of the person buying new to keep it maintained.

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
Re LWB or not, call the seller and ask, or get the vin from them and check, the adverst does say L at the top.

You are probably best positioned to know if the price is right or not having a looked at a few.

If the car drives and if fine, dont worry about the headbolt issue, owning a S63 and paying out on such a repair shouldnt cross your mind. Owning such a car, you need the wallet of the person buying new to keep it maintained.
I think the last paragraph a bit odd, if you had the wallet of someone buying new then you wouldn't be buying a 14 year old car for under £20k.

If you are buying from a dealer you would get some protection but it may be worth an extended warranty as that would cover head bolt failure.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
The advert seems very light on details, so it is hard to judge. I could only find one photo. Am I missing something ? There was no description specific to the car. Are they trying to hide something ? Just a load of waffle about a free hotel stay.

Some of their other prices are rather "high end", so I fear you may be paying over the odds.

Are these cars rare, or do they come up fairly often ? This is the normally aspirated 6.3, not the later 5.5 biturbo.

Awesome machine, but too many unknowns for me.

Just some random thoughts in no particular order.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
I think the last paragraph a bit odd, if you had the wallet of someone buying new then you wouldn't be buying a 14 year old car for under £20k.

If you are buying from a dealer you would get some protection but it may be worth an extended warranty as that would cover head bolt failure.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
The point I am making is that S63 AMG doesnt have the maintenance costs of a 20K car.

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
Same car is HERE on Autotrader with plenty of photos.

I personally think that it's overpriced by quite a bit, though the market is all over the place at the moment as you're no doubt aware. The mileage is favourable though I've not had chance to have a proper look at it as I'm time limited this morning.

As for the head bolts, if they've not showed any signs as yet, don't worry too much about them. They're a good strong engine though, at least to me, never particularly suited the S Class. As mentioned previously though, bear in mind that they were an expensive car when new and, with all expensive cars, big bills do tend to happen often.

axelcls

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes w218 CLS63 AMG now gone, RR Velar
The advert seems very light on details, so it is hard to judge. I could only find one photo. Am I missing something ? There was no description specific to the car. Are they trying to hide something ? Just a load of waffle about a free hotel stay.

Some of their other prices are rather "high end", so I fear you may be paying over the odds.

Are these cars rare, or do they come up fairly often ? This is the normally aspirated 6.3, not the later 5.5 biturbo.

Awesome machine, but too many unknowns for me.

Just some random thoughts in no particular order.

+1 about free hotel, coffee, tea and biscuits and more bla bla bla. In the past I tried to buy something from that seller, is couple of miles away from me and…no ! If you want to spend money just for the ambience and smiles is the perfect place to do it. All their cars are overpriced and nobody’s able to help you with technical details. In top of everything, don’t buy the car and You’ll see how their attitude is changing in matter of seconds. P.S. was just my experience with that particular garage, maybe You’ll be more lucky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
First thing I'd do is get the reg number and do an MOT history check.
Post the reg number here and I'll get you the build sheet.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I can imagine extinction rebellion sat outside your house with that, I suppose you could tell them it's 63 Volts.

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
The advert seems weird to say the least compared to the normal bs you get from used car dealers who harp on about the spec of a car. If it's exactly what you want then worth a look, but as others have said large bills possible and always worth budgeting a few K for future issues.

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
Its a LWB, the first side view image illustrates that. Also the rear door seat switches show the recline / slide function of the outer seats.

It has both 19" and 20" wheels in the spec list.

Lot of money for a 13 year old car

Big Barry

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 2008 petrol 6.3
You get the extra sunroof but I can't see the rear entertainment system. You get a wooden steering wheel (not heated I assume) but no headlight washer.

OP
Hotspur

Hotspur

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
You get the extra sunroof but I can't see the rear entertainment system. You get a wooden steering wheel (not heated I assume) but no headlight washer.

Thanks Barry - how has yours been as a daily, if you use it regularly? and also as far as reliability is concerned?

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
+1, seems a bit on the high side.

It is in the affected years for headbolts, but they would have failed by now if they were going to go (IMO)

Defo a LWB as others. I agree on this engine, its not quite torquey enough at the bottom end for a big car like this (again IMO).

Would argue its price is closer to 15-16

Big Barry

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 2008 petrol 6.3
Thanks Barry - how has yours been as a daily, if you use it regularly? and also as far as reliability is concerned?
Morning Hotspur!
He get used more days than not, usually a motorway commute so 25 miles each way. Only issue so far was the dreaded ABC malfunction but new seals to stop the leak and a modest outlay cured that. So far, so good and a very satisfying drive.
I'll start another thread on fuel (if anyone is interested!)

OP
Hotspur

Hotspur

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
Morning Hotspur!
He get used more days than not, usually a motorway commute so 25 miles each way. Only issue so far was the dreaded ABC malfunction but new seals to stop the leak and a modest outlay cured that. So far, so good and a very satisfying drive.
I'll start another thread on fuel (if anyone is interested!)
Fuel thread - yes please...

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom