Any ex Lexus or Audi owners??

RoyDavis

Reaction score
Sorry to mention different car manufactures!! But as my weekly mileage is about to increase im considering down sizing to something more economical. The 3.2 just drinks a little too much for my liking, i was really just using it as a weekend car to have a bit of fun in so it wasnt a problem but now im going to have to use it considerably more. So im looking at possible an IS200 or an A4 maybe the 1.8t not sure yet.

Was just looking for opinions really and what differences am i likely to find going from a mercedes to one of these makes, i know i'll see a power loss from down sizing the engine which makes me sad :(

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
So you do not fancy a 220 cdi

sr-performancelive..

Reaction score
Website
www.sr-performance.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 325 TDS TOURING
Hi Mate, I had an IS200 and was over the moon when i got shut of it... av mpg was 22..... on a run it would get up to 30ish. The Audi would be better or a bmw 318 2.0 engine as they were very good on fuel after about 2002 I think? hope that helps you.. oh, and the IS200 had probs with scrubbing tyres and is very difficult to sort....

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Sorry to mention different car manufactures!! But as my weekly mileage is about to increase I'm considering down sizing to something more economical. The 3.2 just drinks a little too much for my liking, i was really just using it as a weekend car to have a bit of fun in so it wasn't a problem but now I'm going to have to use it considerably more. So I'm looking at possible an IS200 or an A4 maybe the 1.8t not sure yet.

Was just looking for opinions really and what differences am i likely to find going from a Mercedes to one of these makes, i know I'll see a power loss from down sizing the engine which makes me sad :(

Hi Roy,

If fuel economy is a principal driver in your plan to change, I would look at any of the Mercedes diesels (post the galvanization date, i.e. manufactured after 04-03).

A C 320 CDI will give you comparable performance to your current car, much improved in gear acceleration and about 50% more mpg.

I forget exactly when the first diesel CLKs were introduced, but they are certainly out there.

Bear in mind that the more fuel efficient versions of both Audi and the Lexus are diesels. The Audi diesel always sounds harsher to me, and the Lexus diesel does not come as an automatic.

OP
RoyDavis

RoyDavis

Reaction score
Hmmm its a tough choice! I do actually love my car, i might hold on to it and see how the extra miles affect my pocket. Im so fussy with cars so to have one i like it does seem daft to get rid of it, just weighing up options i guess!

Seeker_UK

Reaction score
I went and had a look at an IS220-d.

Very very smooth, very frugal and a lot of mid range punch when needed.

Cheap to run and service too.

[edit]

But only come as a six-speed manual.

Last edited:

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hmmm its a tough choice! I do actually love my car, i might hold on to it and see how the extra miles affect my pocket. I'm so fussy with cars so to have one i like it does seem daft to get rid of it, just weighing up options i guess!

I recommend you draw yourself up a spreadsheet with your current car, all costs, typical mileages and typical fuel consumption.

Then draw in a comparator from the thoughts you have had. That would give you an idea of the saving that might be achieved in a steady state, once the costs of changing have been cleared.

Then make a sensible estimate of the costs of changing. That will probably be quite sobering and will show you just how long it will take to save and get ahead of your current situation by changing cars.

Changing always costs. If you buy a used car, why did the last owner sell? If you buy a new model, will there be teething troubles (there will, it was a rhetorical question!).

I am a keen student of the spreadsheet for this sort of job. Half an hour on a wet evening and you will know the answer.

Then all you need to do is decide which one wins, heart, or head!

tromppost

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
s320
If your looking at the Audi A4 try the A6, it is much cheaper than the A4.
My wife has an A6 20tdi Auto S Line good car all round and not a bad drive too.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Audis wont give the ride of the merc and I'm just not a fan of Japanese cars so comment would be unfair. IMO they just don't have the teutonic feel.
They do make a 220cdi version of your car so you can have the pleasure of your car and the frugality of the IS220. If you like the car you have, then why not get a frugal version of the same motor? Or as has been said, the 320cdi is a real fun beastie.

PeterCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 204 Elegance saloon 220 cdi
I had 2 Audi's (petrol) before I changed to Mercedes.

Both had serious problems over 80k.

1st one dealer helped me and I got Audi to repair.

2nd dealer would not help (had been taken over) and I vowed never to buy another Audi (long story).

Audi interiors are good but the ride is harsh and I don't think the engines will last as long as Mercedes.

The CLK 320 cdi was introduced mid-2005.

I agree with Alex about the cost of changing. Usually when you work it out it is nearly always cheaper to hang on to what you've got as you will have to rack up an awful lot of miles before you break even.

Hope this helps.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I recommend you draw yourself up a spreadsheet with your current car, all costs, typical mileages and typical fuel consumption.

Then draw in a comparator from the thoughts you have had. That would give you an idea of the saving that might be achieved in a steady state, once the costs of changing have been cleared.

Then make a sensible estimate of the costs of changing. That will probably be quite sobering and will show you just how long it will take to save and get ahead of your current situation by changing cars.

Changing always costs. If you buy a used car, why did the last owner sell? If you buy a new model, will there be teething troubles (there will, it was a rhetorical question!).

I am a keen student of the spreadsheet for this sort of job. Half an hour on a wet evening and you will know the answer.

Then all you need to do is decide which one wins, heart, or head!

I did this when I went from the 320 to the 500 SL the difference was only a few hundred pounds per year over 8kmiles

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
And you do enjoy the 500 so whats a few hundred quid if it makes you grin :cool:

So true OK I live like a hermit, bread and cheese every day for me,and only the best in the SL:D;)

brianbrian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 250D, SL129-deisel
I went from a mercedes 10yrs ago to a Lexus 430 had it 2yrs loved it, then a is200 had it a few months did'nt like it so mercs for me. Hope this helps

Wirral_guy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 CLK270cdi Avantgarde
Roy

I'll throw my 10pence worth in. I've recently been down the what car route. I had a Volvo S60 D5 that was getting a bit tired but was supremely comfortable on long journeys and frugal with it (hmmn, there's a thought if you do change, how about a Volvo?). I wanted a change so was looking at what options I had. It boiled down to Audi A4/6, Saab 9-3, MB c class and Lexus is220d. After test driving examples of them all, only the c class came close to the quality, style and performance of the Volvo. I eventually settled on the CLK270cdi as it was a surprise that it was in my budget range (well, it will be when I've finally sold the wife and dog :D ).

A quick breakdown:

Audi - solid but dated interior, fast but harsh diesel, uninspiring.
Saab 9-3 - appalling interior build quality and suprisingly poor drive.
C-class - nice with the bigger diesel but was overshadowed by the CLK :D:D:D.
Lexus is220d - despite my penchant for gadgets, this left me cold. Bland drive, relatively cramped driving position and not a patch on my mate's earlier IS200.

I know not everybody is the same but it might help you to consider keeping your pride and joy!

Dave

PS: BMW not included in my list as I have always thought them incredibly over-rated (and priced as such!)

omegav6

Reaction score
hi i drive a A4 avant 2.0tdi sline fully loaded the drive is spot on a little hard at times you want the se for a soft ride the mpg is around 38-40 mixed i do drive it hard and fast mine has the 7 speed auto box tiptronic would buy again

O

oldmovieguy

I run a Lexus IS 250 SE Auto and coming up for three years from new. I admit I dont pay for fuel as it's included in my company package but is a thirsty little beast and this was hammered home to me two weeks ago when I was given an MB 220 cdi E Class auto for an extended test drive over a weekend. I felt I needed to keep tapping the fuel gauge as it never seemed to move whereas the Lexus always seemed in a hurry to get that pointer to empty. So if fuel consumption IS an issue with you I would think very carefully indeed before getting behind what is a very well engineered piece of car but thirsty with it.
BTW, the order for the E class has been placed with the dealer!

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Full galvanizing began earlier than that. See this thread: -
http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=23630

You have made this point before Chris. Your link tells me:

CLK CLASS – 209 series

All steel panels were galvanized from Quarter 2 2003 production onwards.
During the previous six months (Q4 2002 + Q1 2003) the process was
gradually introduced on the production line and therefore some vehicles
were galvanized during this lead-up period, but not all.

Which I believe means from 04.03 (April 2003, i.e. beginning of Q2) production, which is what I wrote.

Last edited:

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom