Any F1 fans

kotecki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2021 213 E300e estate 216Cdi Sprinter (stretched limo)
This is the FW14 from 1991 and not the FW14B from 1992 which is in JBell's and Ron's picture.

Any idea how I know that....??
When I posted my picture, I looked at the two in case they were the same car but to my poor eyesight, that antennae is located in a different position?? No doubt not the answer but hey ho, had to have a go

kotecki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you Marty for posting that De-Brief.

In the previous Grand Prix Norris made a huge blunder, possibly compounded by a weak-ish pit wall? Is that a fair assessment?

Is it fair to suggest that if Hamilton had come in when told, he would have had a better result? His choice, his decision. Am I being too harsh to say that? That decision by Lewis meant he was fortunate to keep fifth place. Is that fair comment? I certainly felt that if Lando had come in when told, he most definitely would have had a terrific result. I just feel the same could be said for Lewis..

People accuse me of not liking Hamilton, and I still feel that is a bit strong. I am however a great believer in 'The Team'.. We win as a team, we lose as a team'. I am no fan of a driver disagreeing with the team over the air... What does it achieve? A lot of hard-working, dedicated folk put a lot of effort into making decisions that can, and do effect the result of a race. Are they perfect? Can they make a wrong judgment? Are they correct more times than wrong? If a driver disagrees with the pitwall, then fine, stand by your decision and get on with the race. Don't whinge over the air. The folk you are criticising deserve your respect and loyalty. Complain behind closed doors but also accept that NO ONE is perfect. Great to congratulate the team when things go right, but when things go wrong..... Where's the 'We lose as a team' Where’s the thanking the team for all the hardwork they put in? The team definitely did not deserve the criticism, they deserved a pat on the back.

Bottas
By crikey this forum is cruel to that driver, 'Form is temporary, class is permanent' Whether we agree, or disagree... For most of this season, Bottas has been screwed over by team orders. He has played the game and never openly complained, but YES, in some races, his form was not as it should be BUT.... Whenever he has had those shackles removed, we see the real Bottas. I still maintain he might not be as fast as Lewis, but he has a technical brain and is more adept at getting the most out of the car in adverse conditions.

May I very politely ask... To all of us that have criticised Bottas in the past, how many have now come out and congratulated that excellent drive that we all witnessed at the weekend?

Finally, that Mercedes was a flying machine this weekend, they had by far and away the best car, WELL DONE.

I do hope Perez will now be further up the grid, but Danny Ric won a grand prix and was that really a change in performance from a driver who I thought would give Lando a run for his money!!

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
People accuse me of not liking Hamilton, and I still feel that is a bit strong. I am however a great believer in 'The Team'.. We win as a team, we lose as a team'. I am no fan of a driver disagreeing with the team over the air... What does it achieve? A lot of hard-working, dedicated folk put a lot of effort into making decisions that can, and do effect the result of a race. Are they perfect? Can they make a wrong judgment? Are they correct more times than wrong? If a driver disagrees with the pitwall, then fine, stand by your decision and get on with the race. Don't whinge over the air. The folk you are criticising deserve your respect and loyalty. Complain behind closed doors but also accept that NO ONE is perfect. Great to congratulate the team when things go right, but when things go wrong..... Where's the 'We lose as a team' Where’s the thanking the team for all the hardwork they put in? The team definitely did not deserve the criticism, they deserved a pat on the back.
I wonder why people do that... :rolleyes: perhaps it's all the words after the "and I still feel that is a bit strong"... ;)

kotecki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I wonder why people do that... :rolleyes: perhaps it's all the words after the "and I still feel that is a bit strong"... ;)
Grammar has never been my strong point but it is churlish of me to say to you how you dislike someone.. I simply do not know you. :rolleyes:

As far as I am aware, no one, but no one is perfect?? Is it acceptable to make observations about the things we watch on TV? Or should we all tow the party line and say how we love the emperor's new suit?;)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Is it acceptable to make observations about the things we watch on TV? Or should we all tow the party line and say how we love the emperor's new suit?;)
It is, but you also have to accept that others can (and most likely will...) have a differing point of view... :p

kotecki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It is, but you also have to accept that others can (and most likely will...) have a differing point of view... :p
Yup and long may that continue. I guess if I logged onto a Dutch site and made similar observations about Verstappen, I would get the same flak :)

At the moment I am watching the film 'Schumacher' and again, I am NOT a fan of that driver but do I dislike him?

Anyone that is interested in Formula 1 might want to watch this film.. I am an emotional critter and am trying to not get too emotional whilst watching it. I do not think anyone knows the true state of this iconic man's health and much respect to the Schumacher family.

The film is on Netflix

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
When I posted my picture, I looked at the two in case they were the same car but to my poor eyesight, that antennae is located in a different position?? No doubt not the answer but hey ho, had to have a go
Close, but no cigar!

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
The answer is:

The FW14 in 1991 was a passive suspension car whereas the FW14B was an active suspension car. If you look closely towards the top of the main pull strut arms that are at a 45' angle downwards you will see the 'ears' around the bulkhead area. They were there to shield the hydrualic active ride shock absorbers. Thats how you tell the difference between the 14 and the 14B.

The FW14B was due to race in 1991 and had many practice outings but Mansell would never race it as he lacked confidence in the system after having many failures with active cars when at Williams in 1988. However at a close season test at Silverstone he lapped 2 seconds quicker with the active car which convinced him to race it for 1992. In pre-season testing the car was reliable and quicker than everything else and McLaren were 3 races late with the MP4-7.

Williams actually built the FW15 for 1992 but such was the dominance of the 14B they raced it all year. For 1993 rules stated a suspension geometry change (it had to be narrower) and then a fully automatic transmission was developed in time for the first race so that car was actually badged the FW15C.

Anyway, useless information if nothing else.

kotecki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
What are the panel's thoughts regarding the 1994 Benneton traction control allegations?

Did the car use traction control during that season when it was banned?

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Briatorie was in charge so they more than likely cheated
Quite true. And nobody will convince me Alonso didn't know the Nelson Piquet Jr crash at Singapore in 2008 hadn't been pre-arranged.

kotecki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just seen this.
Apparently Lewis posted this on Monday.
View attachment 71895
Sadly I do not think that excuses him from how he criticised the team over the radio. He did that in the full knowledge that we would hear it... 'Win as a team, and lose as a team' It is easy to accept the applause when the team works well, but when things do not go as well as we would like.... That shows the real man. Lose as a team and do not publicly criticise your team. That whole team has achieved results, the like of which I will probably never see again in my life-time. Respect where respect is due

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
^ I thought Lewis responded exactly as he should have in the aftermath.
He said we win and lose as a team and admitted he is caught up in the moment.
He disagreed with being called in at the time and said so. What's wrong with questioning Mercedes strategists? They have got it wrong many times before when Lewis has overruled their call.

If you want to listen to someone who is always moaning, tune in to Verstappen when things aren't going his way. Very quick to criticise his team.
Remember Alonso with the Honda powered McLaren? He couldn't have been more scathing if he tried.
They are all passionate racers who say things in the heat of the moment. Lewis has been racing for a long time and I'd trust his decision making more than those sat on the pit wall and not in the car.

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
Sometimes criticism of a team by their driver is richly deserved.
Think back to the 2015 Monaco GP where Lewis dominated and was cruising to an easy victory, when a stupendously bad call by the team to bring him in for tyres in the closing laps of the race seen him come back out in third place.
Even Niki Lauda voiced his criticism of the team for that one.
We are all human so all make mistakes, but I think it is wrong to want to silence a person's true feelings in the heat of the moment.

Top Bottom