Any motorcyclists on here as well?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Very worrying, keep an eye out for a white van in the area, thats the favourite way to steal it.
Just heard back from local police, the bike he was on was recently stolen from the Chesterfield area :(
I’m taking the bike again tomorrow but it will be in the compound and it will be chained up.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
2B3D293E-37E4-4F20-9ADF-2EB3A5666B13.jpeg

Beautiful evening for a ride :D

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EC512280-5942-445A-B207-124705598ADB.jpeg On my way back from Scotlandshire today :)

Must have a faulty satnav… couldn’t find a motorway…;)

Rockron

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
709D/1990/OM364
Very worrying, keep an eye out for a white van in the area, thats the favourite way to steal it.

I'm on my way, soon as I get this little ba'stard off the rack and the angle grinder charged up.

Attachments

• mbr2.JPG
    mbr2.JPG
    398.2 KB · Views: 14

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Going up to Richmondshire at the weekend to a rally, fortunately the temps are dropping in Friday.
Which was the direction my bike is pointing in my pic :)

South of Hawes on the Oughtershaw Road :)

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Which was the direction my bike is pointing in my pic :)

South of Hawes on the Oughtershaw Road :)
Ah some good roads round there, we will be on them on Saturday for about 180 miles.
Plus the wife on the back.

MattB101

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 AMG Night Edition Premium 2.2
New BM3.jpg
My R1250GS TE. Love the GS. Such a nice way of winding down after a hard week.

Attachments

• Propic2.jpg
    Propic2.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 7

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

MattB101

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 AMG Night Edition Premium 2.2
I’m just back from a 165 mile trip to Scarborough for fission chips on mine :cool:
LED headlights are amazing to ride behind
I have a set of Denalis too. Night time=Day time

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
Talking about motor bikes .My uncle as just sold his 1949 -53 Douglas Dragonfly for £2000 just because he had misplaced the log book .He owned the bike for 60 years , i rode it when i was 13 without him knowing, but without any key i just freewheeled it down the back drive . Such a heavy bike for me . A few years later , he stripped it down, and the frame was hung on the wall in my grandads chain shop. Then all the parts were stored in to tea chests [wooden boxes tea came in ] In 1981 he decided to rebuild the Dragonfly , and at the time i was asked to spray the frame for him , along with the tank after it was rechromed. The next hurdle was ,, my other uncle owned a factory that rebuild dynamos ,so he took it to rebuild it . He had the dynamo for so long that he lost it in the process. It took a year or more to find it in his workshop .Once he had the rebuilt dynamo back the bike was finished and road worthy . Then last week he told me what he had done .. I was just speachless . I told my cousin, he said he would have given him the book price for it . Well its gone now ,and it just water under the bridge .

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1626951027941.png
I guess I'm going to be here awhile... :rolleyes:

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
this was going to be a few lines about a top tip for older BMs but it escalated.... I recently discovered more weirdness in BMW software.... (on my 57 plate GS1200)

My GS stalled very easily when I got it, I'd never had a bike as bad as this thing (dry car clutch and idle / low speed fuelling by a mad man = no power down the bottom = stalls all day long), then the bike always had a big dip at 4500 rpm and then in high ambient temps when ragging to death, I had this intermittent sleep mode around 6250rpm (red line just sort of 8k).

Back for a service the dealer informed me "BMW don't do software updates" (and at the time some 10 years back I stupidly believed him), then being a BMW, aftermarket getting at the real map is some sorcery few really understand at any price. So I'd done the current of the time bodge up way back when, where you plug in a box of stuff to the throttle pot sensor and the fuel injectors, disconnect the CAT sensors and with a laptop lie about the signals BMW thinks its sending and do what it needs. It worked quite well.... the idea being you do a dyno run and get it right... But most places do such a bad job and the importer of the gadget telling me I can't really go wrong, I did it myself....

All was good till I realised the lower profile rear tyre (to shorten the gearing on a shaft driven bike) had added 1k miles that weren't real and then new tyre sizes came out for the LC GS's and I got a BMW car.... The tyre bringing the gearing back to stock, brought back the 6250 rpm flat spot big time.... and we broke the car trying to swap an early iDrive controller to the later one with all the shortcut buttons..... Whilst the car can do it, it needs an expert to add software off a later car. And we got it wrong. So he said oh well, get it fixed by getting the i-level updated it will be a much better car (i-level in BM land is complete rewrite of all software to current standards). And he was right, but that got me in the world of car and bike software isn't even close to being right when you buy it - but no one ever bothers to apply the software improvements out there.

So I start looking at update notes for my GS, I find half a million things you'd want to sort and you get a new engine map - which "increased low speed idle stability, cold start improvement and reduces engine pinging (fix from customer complaints)" and all done by a main dealer in 17 minutes.... and 30 mins labour...

Only to find the bike was ruined... Dealer did it over and it made no difference, forums no use at all. Queue 3 years of the bike running like a dog, with a cold start problem that was never there till they added a fix for a problem it didn't have + it was now slower and had more issues than before.... A partial clue came after the K1300 lost the plot, where I realise Vines Guildford know more about the bikes than any BM dealer I found and they can't believe the issues I've got, but only kept saying set the bike to standard and see where you are. Which I now realise was secret code for let the bike rebuild its adaptions... (after being wiped by a dealership).

Not following that advice, I was trying to find anyone sensible to help, when a top tuning bod told me to raise a puma case - its a special case where they take you seriously that their software is an utter joke, and can authorise the backwards flash in dealer tools ... but they refused to give me back the older, faster, better map.

Now the old map was an utter pig (but you could at least fix it with the addon on box) whereas the current one just doesn't work right ever. And all they did from the puma case (but never told me they'd done it) was reset the adaptions.... and the bike wasn't happy.... but then I hadn't settled it in and allowed it to save the "adaptions" (plus if you keep reading something subsequently messes them back up).

By now I have tools that lets me reset the adaptions myself, and after doing it 4 times this year I notice a peculiarity in its effect - it always starts off running the best it ever has - then 200 miles in, it goes to rubbish and just gets worse. After rambling about stuff on a forum for long enough a couple of knowledgeable types have thrown a few snippets out there on how it all works... the last saying

From your description, it appears to be the o2 sensors that force the fuelling to go lean. Not danger-type lean, but rather emission control lean.

If you are happy with the characteristics whenever the adaption values are reset, the reset means that the engine will go slightly rich compared to the emission values (this is probably done in order to make sure that the engine will run properly until the adaptions have done their 'thing'). The reset confirms that the engine will run properly as long as it gets enough fuel.

So it dawns on me - reset the adaptions, let it settle - but before it goes mad.... disconnect the CAT sensors. As that stops it from adapting anymore. Which then means, before the world goes wrong and nothing makes sense …I should be able to bring the box of tricks back in to play and everything should work…

And It does. And the amazing thing is half of the poor running is BM throwing fuel in where its not wanted and a only few spots where adding almost nothing transforms the bike from recalcitrant pig, to fun, flexible and safe. And the flat spot between 4500 and 4750 is because they left 6% too much fuel in the mix, and when I take it out it revs through cleanly without a flat spot ???

Last edited:

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
So it dawns on me - reset the adaptions, let it settle - but before it goes mad.... disconnect the CAT sensors. As that stops it from adapting anymore. Which then means, before the world goes wrong and nothing makes sense …I should be able to bring the box of tricks back in to play and everything should work…
and here's the fact BMW have NO idea what they are doing.

It hasn't run this well for 4 years - since their nasty later map went on - Note the massive chasm of a dead spot, was exclusively the crazy extra fuel killing the engine at 4250 to 5250 rpm on full throttle - I'm not convinced the minuses are minus 11% fuel, I suspect its minus 11 widgets of adjustment over the mess BMW make. But I suspect 5 widgets = 1 jet size in the old world

BMW have no idea.jpg

Last edited:

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
we need some biking news.... someone must have done something exciting ?

12:30 ITV have live coverage of the British bike MotoGP from Silverstone today (rossi's last race I'm led to believe)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I was
we need some biking news.... someone must have done something exciting ?

12:30 ITV have live coverage of the British bike MotoGP from Silverstone today (rossi's last race I'm led to believe)
I was out for a 200 mile jaunt around Derbyshire last Sunday, no pics as riding all day. I'm 250 miles away from the bikes this weekend although I did drive past Silverstone on Thursday night...;)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Theo and I just back from a pleasant walk around the Tolson House Museum in Huddersfield, there was a bike show on and we then went for a nice ride via Holme Moss - the great circle route home :cool:
AC2B3DC6-DE10-4787-B65F-29603E62D548.jpeg
1956D073-F731-4F40-87F2-C8DE51CF1CC8.jpeg

MJJ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'09 S211 E220 Cdi manual - 216k miles and counting
Theo and I just back from a pleasant walk around the Tolson House Museum in Huddersfield, there was a bike show on and we then went for a nice ride I’ve Holme Moss - the great circle route home :cool:
He looks so happy to be on the bike, excellent work. I have managed to share my addiction with both kids too, eldest now passed his A2 test and on an SV650, and my youngest getting herself to sixth form on a Piaggio 50.

I treated myself to a new bike on Friday. A bit of a last gasp desire to have a truly unique engine whilst we still can, and absolutely loving the comfort and serenity so far. My wife is also much happier on the back of this, compared to the various sports bikes I have tortured her on before.

I am rubbish at taking photos, it never really occurs to me to do so, so all I have is a walkaround video provided by the dealer , which I thought was a very nice touch.

Ride safe all, and hope everyone is enjoying the sunshine.

Martin.

Attachments

• Walkaround video screenshot.jpg
    Walkaround video screenshot.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 16

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
received_880278199593236.jpeg

Reactions: MJJ

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom