Any motorcyclists on here as well?

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
so all I have is a walkaround video provided by the dealer , which I thought was a very nice touch.

Martin.

I took one of these out.... 20psi in the front and it felt a bit weird... u'd think they'd check these things !!! cruise can be set in 1st gear at 5mph which is how it should be..... there's a lot to be said for a top box when u have someone on the back (or when u pop down the shops)

these later ones get much better air flow / noise level decrease off the screen.... did u know you can fold out the chrome bits above the GTL badge to get more air flow when its hot?

its a nice colour scheme - I still can't get my head round the power output - it just doesn't go hard enough for the cost or I'd have one for long trips

Last edited:

MJJ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'09 S211 E220 Cdi manual - 216k miles and counting
I took one of these out.... 20psi in the front and it felt a bit weird... u'd think they'd check these things !!! cruise can be set in 1st gear at 5mph which is how it should be..... there's a lot to be said for a top box when u have someone on the back (or when u pop down the shops)

these later ones get much better air flow / noise level decrease off the screen.... did u know you can fold out the chrome bits above the GTL badge to get more air flow when its hot?

its a nice colour scheme - I still can't get my head round the power output - it just doesn't go hard enough for the cost or I'd have one for long trips

I have had it for two weeks now, and have done 800 miles. I am very pleased with it. It is a comfortable, stable, capacious and well engineered tourer - best to think of it more like a GT car that can filter, as opposed to a bike.

Personally, I think the straight 6 engine is a masterpiece. The 160bhp is not headline grabbing, but I have raced litre bikes for many years and I don't think it needs any more power. It is the 175Nm torque from pretty much idle that delivers. You can overtake in 6th easily if you want to, and it means riding two up is supremely smooth and comfortable for your pillion. It sounds wonderful when you extend it too, almost E36 M3 like. 250-300 miles to a tank on the way to the Alps, airflow wonderfully managed around the rider and passenger so you are quiet, and buffeting free. Central locking on all the boxes and storage compartments, and suspension that electronically compensates for load and conditions.

It will corner and scratch if you really want it to, but it rewards smooth, fast progress rather than sportsbike like point & squirt. The up & down clutchless gearchanges due to the quickshifter are genius too.

There is no denying it is a bit of an outlier in the bike world though. Whilst the chassis electronics (cornering ABS, IMU fed traction control etc) are as good as any, the small-ish TFT dash and integration with phones is a way behind the latest stuff. The audio and speakers are pointless. I bought it for the engine mainly, (Goldwing aside) when else will we ever get to see a 6 cylinder bike?

No denying it is an expensive bike, RRP is something daft like £27k in the spec of mine. These days, £20k almost seems to be entry level for litre bikes and the like. This one was a little under £21k new - I don't think BMW are updating it for Euro 5 so they are just selling off the last of the already manufactured bikes.

In the showroom, next to mine, was a M1000RR dripping in carbon optional extras. £31k price tag!! I think it is a sign of getting old (I am 49 now), and everything seeming expensive.

Martin.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I have had it for two weeks now, and have done 800 miles. I am very pleased with it. It is a comfortable, stable, capacious and well engineered tourer - best to think of it more like a GT car that can filter, as opposed to a bike.

Personally, I think the straight 6 engine is a masterpiece. The 160bhp is not headline grabbing, but I have raced litre bikes for many years and I don't think it needs any more power. It is the 175Nm torque from pretty much idle that delivers. You can overtake in 6th easily if you want to, and it means riding two up is supremely smooth and comfortable for your pillion. It sounds wonderful when you extend it too, almost E36 M3 like. 250-300 miles to a tank on the way to the Alps, airflow wonderfully managed around the rider and passenger so you are quiet, and buffeting free. Central locking on all the boxes and storage compartments, and suspension that electronically compensates for load and conditions.

It will corner and scratch if you really want it to, but it rewards smooth, fast progress rather than sportsbike like point & squirt. The up & down clutchless gearchanges due to the quickshifter are genius too.

There is no denying it is a bit of an outlier in the bike world though. Whilst the chassis electronics (cornering ABS, IMU fed traction control etc) are as good as any, the small-ish TFT dash and integration with phones is a way behind the latest stuff. The audio and speakers are pointless. I bought it for the engine mainly, (Goldwing aside) when else will we ever get to see a 6 cylinder bike?

No denying it is an expensive bike, RRP is something daft like £27k in the spec of mine. These days, £20k almost seems to be entry level for litre bikes and the like. This one was a little under £21k new - I don't think BMW are updating it for Euro 5 so they are just selling off the last of the already manufactured bikes.

In the showroom, next to mine, was a M1000RR dripping in carbon optional extras. £31k price tag!! I think it is a sign of getting old (I am 49 now), and everything seeming expensive.

Martin.
I added my GSA up and it's a nice house...:oops:

I've not tried one of the 6's, I'd like to although I'm pretty much set on the flat twins now

kotecki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2021 213 E300e estate 216Cdi Sprinter (stretched limo)
Are any of us lucky enough to be following both MotoGp and the WorldSuper bikes?

How touching to see the great, the magnificent Valentino go to the Rossi stand and give thanks to his many, many fans.. I personally wished he had retired sooner but what an amazing rider and I count myself lucky to have been able to follow that man's career.,

World Superbikes
Are we seeing the end of the amazing dominance of Jonathan Rae? Is he the Casey Stoner for Kawasaki, a rider that drags out more from that bike than any other rider.

Am I about to switch allegiances across to Toprak...... Thoughts about this rider

Tom Sykes... I hope his head injury is not to severe and fingers crossed he will soon be released from hospital.

Scott Redding
Is this rider leaving Ducati or has he been pushed? Is BMW a better option when compared to a works Ducati

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500

Martin.
they went an upset a lot of customers with the very latest... they changed the Bluetooth connection - I think deleted it - and its not even retrofittable - something along the lines of everyone connects the phone to the nav these days and not the bike anymore... one bloke at my local dealership on his third one, gave the new bike back when he realised

MJJ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
they went an upset a lot of customers with the very latest... they changed the Bluetooth connection - I think deleted it - and its not even retrofittable - something along the lines of everyone connects the phone to the nav these days and not the bike anymore... one bloke at my local dealership on his third one, gave the new bike back when he realised
Indeed, the Bluetooth was deleted some time in 2019 I think. I imagine the cost for Alpine (supplier of the Audio amp) to upgrade the system to the more modern BT standards was simply not worth it for the small number of K1600s BMW sell.

BMW are on a hiding to nothing though - very few owners used the system as integration with helmet comms was just so much better, so they are left supplying a sub-par Audio system developed in 2009-ish as standard - showroom appeal requires it to stay.

I see both sides though, as I used to run an engineering team in Jaguar Land Rover developing parts of the infotainment system. Car (and I assume, bike) development programs are often 4-5 years, with specifications having to be fixed 2 years before a customer gets hold of the first vehicles. Consumer electronics develop hugely in that timescale. It is very difficult for OEMs to engineer competitive solutions compared to what consumers can buy on phones, so the trend now is for strong phone integration and over the air updates.

Thankfully, most of us bikers are way more concerned about engine, chassis dynamics, exhaust tuning and overall aesthetic - infotainment on a bike still seems like a waste of effort to me, though I do admit I use the built in Nav quite a lot.

Martin.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
just came across this nico bakker mod ... seems the owners K16 scraped the ground, so he had it fixed

BMW-K1600GS-Mammoth-01.jpg

MJJ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
just came across this nico bakker mod ... seems the owners K16 scraped the ground, so he had it fixed
Wow, I don't think 'mod' quite covers that :oops:. That is not the K1600 frame, so I can only assume they have fitted the engine into a GS - that is some level of dedication to getting your own perfect bike.

Martin.

kotecki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If folks get the opportunity to watch World Superbikes, then grab it with all four hands!! AMAZING racing. Is it possible to be too aggressive? (Question and definitely NOT a statement)

Much respect to these racers

How can anyone have a 'favourite' rider? :D:cool::cool:

Mine is either blue, green or red, or green, blue or red

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Wow, I don't think 'mod' quite covers that :oops:. That is not the K1600 frame, so I can only assume they have fitted the engine into a GS - that is some level of dedication to getting your own perfect bike.

Martin.

one off frame, comes out lighter then a std K1600, bit odd to use such old GS parts

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
If folks get the opportunity to watch World Superbikes, then grab it with all four hands!! AMAZING racing. Is it possible to be too aggressive? (Question and definitely NOT a statement)
...what channel r u finding this on?

I saw some of UK stuff least week, was nice to see people riding the bikes and them wobble about ...

I'm not so keen on scalextric drawf racing these days (AKA moto GP).. might as well give the cup to the software engineer who actually won the race. Its just drones with superglue

kotecki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi botus
I am going to very respectfully ask that you might want to reconsider your crass comments. Motorsport is dangerous, MotoGp is a motorsport and by crikey, it's both dangerous and CAN be unforgiving. This is a list of fatalities in just the very top formulas of the sport I confess I have not heard of any software engineers being killed in this dangerous sport??

Today in Moto3 one of the top formula in the MotoGp calendar, we witnessed a horrendous incident where no doubt you might claim riders failed to remain in their 'Scalextric type slots. Bikes were going full bore down the main straight, a bike weaved directly in front of a following bike!! 140mph and bang, bang, bang. At least three bikes collided with competitors. Riders were hitting bikes and getting airborne for 30 -40 metres, slamming down onto the track and then at these high speeds, sliding along the armco!!! Your remarks are perhaps not in the best of tastes but unbelievably, no one was seriously hurt

In the World Superbike series, we saw Dean Vinalles an up-and-coming super talent in I believe the 300 series at the unbelievable age of fifteen!
A crash we never really witnessed (thank god) but at just fifteen, Vinalles is the latest fatality. Motorbike racing is dangerous, with, or without the help of software engineers. No idea what you mean about scalextric dwarf racing and perhaps the less we say about that observation, the better..

The World Superbike round this week-end has surpassed all that has been seen before. James Toseland an ex-World Champion claims this was the most competitive superbike racing he had ever seen. All the pundits agree that the Kawasaki of Jonathan Rae was not as fast, not as maneuverable as the front two competitors. Toprak, an amazing talent on the Yamaha and Scott Redding on the Ducati. Rae was wringing the neck out of his bike, a machine that should not be able to compete against the other two bikes. Three races per week-end, first two races, whilst leading Jonathan Rae crashed. Third race, Rae started way-back, might have been about tenth!! End of the first lap he was exchanging first place!! The mudguard of the Yamaha came off, went under the front wheel causing Toprak to crash... Jonathan Rae went on to win!! What a race but whilst Rae was 'sunny-side up' the racing was breathtaking, all three of the races. For me it is far more entertaining than Scalextric, but hey ho.... Each to their own.

Last edited:

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
kotecki, I'm afraid I don't do soft and gushy, I do facts and reason.

When bike racing was really dangerous as the bikes hard to ride, and unreliable, we had weight limits. Danni Pedrosa was so small he did not meet the 1970s weight limit for 350cc bike racing, let alone a bike 40 years on that was 40kg heavier and more than three times the power.

When he reached MotoGP there were fears he would be too weak to control the motorcycle safely. Indeed he had frequent flying lessons from his lack of skill opening the throttle and to little weight to argue with physics (even with the almost idiot proof traction control it couldn't stop the high-sides). Luckily he survived the cheating and many huge superman flights.

I was particularly upset when it was discovered due his 20kg weight advantage it afforded him a competitive advantage (permissible by the ridiculous removal of rider weight limits). He was so much lighter and so small (lack of wind resistance) Honda were able to tune his bike more than the competition or his own team mate. Thus he alone got a more powerful engine. Madness!

the increase in death (after factoring how much better circuit safety has helped) is directly attributable to two factors

1) the adulation and financial reward is too much for teenagers and greedy parent to stop and think correctly about the risks being taken
2) and instead of rebuilding a safety margin, with adequate sized and weight riders, we have allowed more and more tiny people to sit on the bike (meeting that rule) whilst software engineer's skills battle out which bike wins

in todays sick world it will take little imagination to think they may by now have mandated a bent bernie style connection, so the race organisers / tv rights holders, can increase viewer numbers with an inappropriate tweak to the software at the wrong moment.

today killing slaves is OK so long as you make big money whilst doing it. and if you find that offensive, unfortunately we are all in part responsible for the "society" we live in

Last edited:

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
what was it.... and why ?

coxyhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E500 Sport Coupe
what was it.... and why ?
It was a 2003 Harley.The reason I sold it was I just wasn't riding it.Last time was in July when I took it for an MOT.
I had a guy put a £500 deposit on it a couple of months ago but he pulled out due to a family bereavement(I refunded his deposit).
Then I discovered a Facebook group for buying & selling Harley's.
Put it on there on Saturday & a guy came with a van on Monday,we did a deal & he took it with him on the same day.
I put a lot of effort & money into it & am very glad it's going to a good home.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
and here's the fact BMW have NO idea what they are doing.

It hasn't run this well for 4 years - since their nasty later map went on - Note the massive chasm of a dead spot, was exclusively the crazy extra fuel killing the engine at 4250 to 5250 rpm on full throttle - I'm not convinced the minuses are minus 11% fuel, I suspect its minus 11 widgets of adjustment over the mess BMW make. But I suspect 5 widgets = 1 jet size in the old world

View attachment 70123
well in the interests of more GS1200 confusion here's some with the CAT sensors attached and a third party diagnostic adapter sharing whats happening

lambda fun up and down

Eng lambda 2021.jpg

the same set up pre wiping adaptions

Eng Trim 2021.jpg

after wiping adaptions (somehow the additive trim and the multiplicative trim means something - additive is short this trip and multiple is long term adaptions)

Eng May reset 2021.jpg

on another forum everyone says these sort it all out https://www.beemerboneyard.com/bmwafo2sema.html

Last edited:

MJJ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
well in the interests of more GS1200 confusion here's some with the CAT sensors attached and a third party diagnostic adapter sharing whats happening

lambda fun up and down

Not meaning to question the issues you are obviously experiencing, and I am not going to even remotely pretend I am an expert, but judging by the fuel trim numbers (bottom 4 rows in each of your tables), that looks very much like the engine ECU is managing the fuelling very nicely. Trim addition of 3% or so does not strike me as an issue. In my limited experience of diagnosing and logging O2 sensors, constant fluctuation up and down around the 'correct' A/F ratio is also normal - cannot comment if the scale of the fluctuation is wrong for your bike.

What am I missing?

I am sure you have spotted this already, but front wheel speed looks very wrong to me too in the last table.

Martin.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
What am I missing?

I am sure you have spotted this already, but front wheel speed looks very wrong to me too in the last table.

Martin.

PC3 added around 5000k miles with CAT sensors off and it helped lots and worked well for 20k miles
when it got the new map from BMW, PC3 was on the bike and I knew I needed to update to suit whatever changed - but couldn't get to play ball ever

went 100% stock with PC3 on the bench - and it behaves OK for 200 miles then goes mad (note the 500 rpm flat spot at 4500 rpm is there whenever its 100% stock old map or later map)… also worth noting the "mad scenario" is very much like the original map - un-rideable nastiness round town, just like when it was new.

current status - after 150 miles of adaption disconnected CAT sensors and the bike never went mad - so then re added PC3 to tidy up the emission related silliness they have to meet - and it all makes sense

on a BM forum many don't believe BMW have no idea what they are doing

Last edited:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Just booked for Motorcycle Live at the NEC in December :)

Reactions: DSK

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom