Any tips on AMG wheels

rhino_mac

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CGI Sport 2010
I'm trading in my 2010 c class for a 2012 e class coupe tomorrow. It has the same AMG wheels as the c class (but 18" rather than the 17" ones) that are the diamond cut/lacquered ones.

I found that the wheels are pretty hard to keep clean. The brake dust seems to ingrain into the lacquer and I found they corroded in the centres. Looked good for about 18 months then started to look tatty.

Is this just life, or is there a way to keep them looking good? Will alloy wheel cleaner help or will it kill them more as its acidic.

Thanks for the help!

OP
R

rhino_mac

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CGI Sport 2010
Sorry! Wrong forum, thanks for moving!

hotrodder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 320te, '54 ragtop beetle (in bits)
The brake dust thing can be helped by sealing or waxing the wheels although you really need a less dusty pad compound too (as dusty pads typically have higher metallic content which sticks in the finish rather than on it) which opens the usual can of worms...

Even with the above done the finish will still degrade sooner/more easily than painted wheels even if cleaned religously without agressive chemicals as a diamond cut/high sheen finish is too smooth for laquer to stick to properly and relatively brittle to boot i.e. one stone chip and moisture WILL get under the laquer and result in a milky spot that grows as corrosion spreads and the laquer lifts

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Part of life unfortunately, as hotrodder says - if you don't clean them, the cack gets ingrained. If you do clean them, even carefully, they eventually deteriorate.

If it helps, I've found both Autoglym and Car Plan (believe it or not) alloy protector sprays pretty effective.

Autoglym on a Scooby from new, Car Plan on a Landy Defender (new alloys) and a MINI (again, from new) - in all cases the dirt came/comes off quite readily, which in turn reduces the need for for aggressive cleaning fluids, and reduces the need for brushes etc.

Bizarrely, probably the most effective was the Car Plan product on the Landy!

PS. These weren't diamond-cut wheels, however!

Last edited:

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
There is nothing you can do to stop it, water gets under the lacquer and lifts it off giving the "Milky" look.

Your best bet it to wait till it happens and then have the wheels refurbished with a powdercoated finish, this is much tougher and will last

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom