Any windscreen fitters?

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
Hi
Not the Merc, but the answer will no doubt apply to all modern vehicles.

Wife's Swift windscreen has cracked following a stone hit. Autoglass (via insurer) want to pop and fit it. On the driveway, now, with this freezing cold weather, will the seal cure properly, or will I get problems 'down the road'.

They have no facility to fit it inside a warm workshop.

They have said "if it's too cold we will cancel and re-book..... so still no car?

How safe to use with a horizontal crack side to side about 100mm (4 in) from base of window? If she just needed to go local shops? - as I'm away to Dubai Friday am, (hopefully they fix it Friday but I won't be around.)

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
I cant see any problem with bonding a screen in the cold as polysulphate works regardless, just takes a little longer to fully cure, and modern urethanes cure after contact with moisture... again might just take a little longer..
As for the crack, it will get bigger if driven until it reaches another edge of the screen.
I had a lotus witha huge screen which had come completely unbonded.. Was only the aluminium trims that stopped the glass falling out.. could hear the screen moving about whilst driving... Took a few weeks before i got round to getting it rebonded..

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom