Anybody owned more than one Merc.

MarkCL

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E320 CDi Avantgarde
Well I'm on to my 4th now - had a C180 sport with manual g'box first and it impressed me enough that I started looking at MB as a make I wanted to try more cars from. Since then I've had two AMGs (C43 and CLK55) and my current E320CDi, which I've been really impressed with. Overall I've had my share of problems - a failed diff on the C43 and of course the rust issues, but overall the cars always managed to redeem themselves with their other characteristics and qualities so that now I'd happily keep having MBs as long as I can still afford to buy them :)

As to the the 7G g'box problems, I also had some harsh changes when the 'box is cold, but for the most part it behaves itself when warmed up so I forgive it the occasional jolting change from 2-1 - always get it on the downshifts, not on the upshifts though as far as I remember, and only from 2-1, no other gear. Guess there must be an answer out there somewhere, but other than that the 5 speed unit that I had in the CLK definitely felt smoother and I don't remember any bad shifts from that 'box.

Cheers,
Mark

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
We are on our 4th Merc.

Our first one we got back in 2005 which was a blue C Class Elegance, we then sold that and I think we had a couple of VW Golf's for a little while. Back to Mercedes again, 2nd one was a silver C Class Estate Sport this time the Avantgarde. Really wish, with hindsight, that we had kept that one as it was a lovely car. Somewhere along the way we also had a Porsche Boxster, another VW Golf, a classic car, then our 3rd Merc was a black A Class, which we only kept for about a year as we found out it was a Cat D, but we had paid top price for it. Now we have yet another C Class Estate and we've been very happy with it :D

Dave Perkins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 CL420...... 2009 CLS 320CDI.
Mercedes number six

Just purchased my sixth Mercedes a 2009 CLS 320 CDI diesel, very pleased with the car.

jasonyw

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c180/1997/1.8;W211/2005/E200K
it my fourth w211, it overated as best in the class. I am disappointed with suspension springs and sbc. driving better than sex

190E a joy to drive but it got only 4 forward auto gears

w202, I still have it since 97, breaking soon any min. it still better than my w211

r170 had to get rid of it, running out of cash and high road tax. buckled rear wing due to sunroof. should had kept it

beemer is like buying a rover, spartan interior

cant buy anything else, did bought an almera, a dustbin

wivenhoe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2018 E Class E350e plug in hybrid
I had two CLK's changed to a very fast but scary Lexus 450h, changed this for a very disappointing XF and 18 months later bought a new E350 CDI E Class Sport Coupe last Friday - the Coupe is by the far the best car and most enjoyable drive I have had. I achieved almost 50 mpg on cruise control at 60 - undreamt of in the Jaguar. Each to their own I suppose

bigtwin

Banned
Reaction score
We're on number 3. My E320CDI estate W210 '02 is a fantastic long journey car, with an epic engine.

The bodywork however is a total and utter disgrace and disgrace in all respects. Started rotting through after about 5 years. Shameful, and Merc would do nothing.

Just replaced an A class. The old 160 petrol on a X did 100k problem free, with minimal cost, and was totally reliable. Being mostly plastic, the body was OK too. The New A is a 180 oil burner. Fingers crossed it's as good as the last one.

The good thing is that brand image is so poor now, you get a LOT of car for your money used. The previous owner took a 75% depreciation hit from new in 5 years. His loss our gain hopefully.

The Pan Man

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 E 500 A/G Classic colour combination.
Picking up my 4th on Saturday. Had E60 530i for two years so I went from E Class to 5Series back to E Class. Nothing wrong with the BMW but as I said some 2 years ago "It ain't a Mercedes"

Cardinal Biggles

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 (09) W219; C220D (07) W204
My first Merc was a 190, not even an "E". It was Barolo red with cream interior, had a limited spec (even wind up windows!), but I loved it. It cruised on motorways over long distances with no hassle and considerable refinement and it cost me almost nothing to do 60,000 miles. Servicing main dealer in Bath was excellent.

Then I went for a new BMW 318i in 1992. Loved the driving experience, but everything went wrong on that car. Paint chips fell off sides of car when exposed to wind or weather (what-a mistake-a to make-a), sunroof stuck half open, alarm went wrong (twice), central locking went wrong (twice), dashboard lower trim fell off, car was recalled for dodgy front seat mountings, front headlight went, and the exhaust rear section fell off the car while I was driving. All in warranty, got rid of that asap and took a tumble on the deal as I didn't want to sell it privately to some poor mug to find out the next wave of faults - and out of warranty too.

I found the BMW garage was very good. And I can be sure of that as I had a lot of occasions to try them out.

I dallied with one or two other makes, including a much loved Opel Senator V6 - a much underrated car and an excellent buy after 1st year depreciation had gone through the floor.

I missed my Merc quality interior and was back to Merc as soon as I could afford it, in 2002. This was a C200K, and another much loved car in green-black (it looked blue) with a creamy interior. Effortless motoring, and a car to arrive in without being too ostentatious!

I Traded that in for a new C220 in 2007, which I still have for my wife to drive at 45,000 trouble free miles from MB direct. Still looks and feels (even smells) brand new, and is a delight to drive.

I bought an 18 month old CLS from MB direct in 2011. I love my CLS, I would have liked an alternative to Obsidian Black, but love the Cashmere Beige (and all the toys).

I agree entirely with your views on MB dealerships. A very mixed bag indeed for their extremely prejudicial pricing. The one in Northampton was quite good, the Leicester MB dealership was absolutely dreadful in my experience and the one in Ipswich is improving bit by bit - although my wife won't take her C220 there after a previous poor experience with customer care.

I have loved all of my MB motors. The engineering has been solid and impressive in all of them in various ways, and unlike BMW they arent trying to sell style over substance imho. BMW need less big-budget marketing pazaz and more deep engineering focus imho. The Germans have it right when they rate (and price) BMWs against equivalent top model Opels (GM), not against MBs. In the UK BMW is seriously overpriced. MB do need to improve their detail styling, and especially interiors; but apart from Volkswagen I cant think of another marque that can meet or exceed it in its key sectors.

So far, all

Last edited:

teabag

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 W163 ML270 CDI
Since my first in 2005 (W210 E320CDI) which I fell in love with and kept for 3 and a half years and 64K miles, I've bought another 3.

W220 S350 in 2009, 45K miles in 2 years.

Tried a Lexus GS450H in 2011 then swapped it after 14 months and 22K miles for a 20 year old A124 320CE cabriolet 8 months ago (Keeping this one as a hobby).

2 weeks ago I took delivery of a W246 B180CDi to use as a tool for work.

Tonypam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1990 190E 2.0 Auto (RIP),1994 E280 Auto (RIP) 1997 R170 SLK 230 Auto, 2003 W209 CLK320
Now on our (the wife and myself) third MB. Our first which we still own is a 1990 190e in metallic grey...had it best part of five years now and spent threepence ha'penny on it !....terrific value for money luxury motoring...I can only remember a front exhaust last year( fitter said it was the original one ! ) and a ball joint years ago. Liked it so much I bought another190 and ran that for 8 months before the CHG blew, so it went to the big garage in the sky for the same as what i paid for it ! Just bought a lovely W124 280E - a real beauty for less than a grand - and I love it. I know it likes a drink, but who cares, I only do a couple of thousand miles a year, so i share those miles between the MB and my Mondeo.........I doubt if I will ever buy another make of car again.........

DY2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 2003 E320 Cdi Automatic
On my second.
First was a 2003 c220 cdi 6 speed manual in jasper blue. Bought her with 150k on the clock. I added another 32k in 14 months. Ran into a few elecrical problems towards the end and let her go.

While also looking for the next. The W211. Another 2003, but a 320cdi.
Been a great car enjoying her, while learning about her. Shes just had her first service since ive had it. Since my ownership shes had a new SBC pump (fitted by MB - FOC). New alternator ( done myself ). Then smaller cosmetic work over the year- new xneon bulbs, LED side lights, new boot brake light, new wing mirror indicator, new set if MB mats, new star badges, both batteries replaced, Polished up the headlights with wet sanding

The jobs in the new year include new brake pads and disks and 4 new tyres. Will also look out for a set of alloys for future winter driving.

:)

Ben Longden

Reaction score
Website
www.benlongden.com
Your Mercedes
W203 220CDI. Silver with grey and black trim. 1992 W140 400SEL Silver. 1999 CLK430 (missus)
We have three.
And we would not have a Beemer at all.

A friend has one, and it spends more time in the shop being repaired than garaged or on the road.

Mind you, the new ones are also ugly.

But thats our personal taste..... ;)

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
On my second, the first one a 124 300TE eatate I kept for 13 years and the present one I've had for 8 years and hope to keep for another five. I do tend to keep a car long enough to find out most of its inherent weaknesses which can be infuriating at times.

The 124 head gasket went at <40k but apart from that it proved very reliable upto when we parted at 120K.

The 210 has suffered more on the reliabilty front, refurbed injectors and a new alternator being the main engine issues and i have just invested £1600 in new paintwork (it looks great :D) to see it throught the next 5 years of my ownership.

I have just tried to encourage my son to order the latest C Class on contract through his job, but he sees MBs as armchairs on wheels and has decided to order a new Scirocco. He didn't think much to the A Class and was probably swayed by the poor spec of the MB against a fully specced VW for the same monthly outlay. Personally i would still have had the poverty spec MB but he wanted all the toys. As he puts it plenty of time to move on to MB when family circumstances change. I like MB engineering which outways anything else when it comes to decisions.

The E estate provides me with all I want from a car and no other manufacturer comes close to providing this so I guess my next car will be the same again ;)

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
5 Series Touring + 911 Carrera 4
I have just tried to encourage my son to order the latest C Class on contract through his job, but he sees MBs as armchairs on wheels and has decided to order a new Scirocco.

Isn't it funny how long it takes to change perception of something.

He thinks the C Class, which is very dynamic, is an armchair and so orders a VW Sirocco, which is one of the numbest drives you can get.
But it does look nice.

dizzy lizzy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL129 (diesel),2 x 124 250D,190d 2.5
at the moment we have 4...there is only the 2 of us...ha ha...my husband has got some sort of fettish I think....we will be back down to 2...and then in a few weeks time we will have 4 or 5 again...he keeps promising he isn't going to keep buying them but the only way I will be able to stop him is if I tie him to the bed or put him in a care home...the latter seems to be the best option

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Isn't it funny how long it takes to change perception of something.

He thinks the C Class, which is very dynamic, is an armchair and so orders a VW Sirocco, which is one of the numbest drives you can get.
But it does look nice.

Marketing innit. MBs are seen as old mans cars but are such a joy to drive on the road. I really don't see myself in anything other than an MB, other than maybe a Jag XK if I won the lottery

syncropaddy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
.... too many cars!
at the moment we have 4...there is only the 2 of us...ha ha...my husband has got some sort of fettish I think....we will be back down to 2...and then in a few weeks time we will have 4 or 5 again...he keeps promising he isn't going to keep buying them but the only way I will be able to stop him is if I tie him to the bed or put him in a care home...the latter seems to be the best option

Brian does not have a fetish, Lizzy. Replenishing one's Mercedes level is perfectly normal but I feel 'your tieing him to the bed' might be a slight fetish ..... :lol:

paul hayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
all MB sold..V70R now ;-)
the only way I will be able to stop him is if I tie him to the bed or put him in a care home...the latter seems to be the best option

yep... remember what happened to your back the last time you tried option 1!;)

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
5 Series Touring + 911 Carrera 4
Marketing innit. MBs are seen as old mans cars but are such a joy to drive on the road. I really don't see myself in anything other than an MB, other than maybe a Jag XK if I won the lottery

I thought the same, but not been as impressed with some of the new Mercs.
The W212 left me cold, the new CLS was the same, which is a shame as I love the Shooting Brake. The new ML I just don't like the look of at all, so have no desire for one, and that is really about it. I like the C Class, but it isn't big enough for us.
A CL or S Class I would have, but then I would need a load carrier as well, and that wouldn't be something from Mercedes any more. :(

A few cars I would like in my garage if money were no object.

Porsche Panamera Sport Turismo would be one...
Porsche-Panamera-Sport-Turismo-Wagon.jpg

Discovery 4 would be another, the perfect van.

And then a 997 GT3 RS for having fun in.

I think I might just buy another S210, I really loved that car.
I like the S203 I am in at the minute, but as said above, it just isn't big enough for us, tomorrow I need to move some stock and I will have to make two trips, an S210 would do it in one no problem and get half as much again in.

I like S211's too and would own another one of those, but have a real soft spot for the 210s.

Last edited:

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom