Anybody owned more than one Merc.

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
210 will cost you not a lot to buy mate and if you like them, go for it.

211's are good, I loved mine and hated it for the unreliability but if it werent for that part it was a good car. The 219 is much more special to drive and is nicer inside and out.

Fair do re the 204 not being big enough, its nice and small, I like that in a car, enough room for some camping gear and it can be chucked about. A 212 really is a like a big 204, not quite as agile, just as plasticky inside but with a shocking driving position and poor seats.

I hate land rovers with a passion, I would never ever have a LR product. Ever.

Funny you mention the Panamera SB thing, much nicer than the normal one but way too big for me anyway, but for a man with kids, there may well be no finer car ;)

Me, I'm liking the 204 estate but it will be replaced with a CLS SB. There is no rational reason other than I want one. Or maybe Dads S350 as he'll let me buy it for its PX price and its so damned comfortable.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Marketing innit. MBs are seen as old mans cars I really don't see myself in anything other than an MB,

Old before your time Steve

GlynC

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi A8 Sport
I have owned privately 4 mercedes Two E55's one C220 and the latest is an E350sport coupe. Never been let down by any of them mostly little niggles to be honest. mainly electrical extras which fail like active seats and mobile phone prep and the like. In the past the dealers were poor with bad attitudes but I found once you get to grips with them, they look after you (or they know I cause trouble :))

I have also had Lexus/Jags/Aston/Audi/BMW. and a few of the run of the mill motors. All had much the same in the way of issues.
Two Lexus's one GS300 and a GS430 went back to them with issues. The first one they had for 6 months whilst I drove their car which was the cheapest motoring period I have ever had as they even serviced it when due :lol: They bought it back and did me the deal on the 430 sport which went wrong, similar thing so I gave up and went to Audi. The car was featured in Auto Epxress three times during the fun!

Only had one BMW and whilst it was a nice motor 330i sport I found the seats were uncomfortable and it gave me a terrible back ache so it had to go and has put me off them since. I find them a tad lacking in soul but thats my opinion and I respect people who like them, and you can't fault the economy some people report from the newer ones.
I like the style of Mercedes, how they drive and how comfortable they are, they seem to fit me well. It was like coming home recently which is a nice feeling as I spend a fair bit of time sat in the car :rolleyes: I buy my cars for me, not anyone else or what they might think, which is where some people go wrong (if that makes sense ;))
But each to their own it would be a boring all world if we all agreed.
Cheers Glyn

Aks

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 320cdi
This is my 6th Merc. I started on a lowly C class back in 94, through 4 E classes going through the varients, classic, elegance then avantgarde. Im now driving an ML 320cdi sport. I love Mercs. In a mad moment I drove a BMW X3 for a year. Ok car but Merc is the best. You will always get problems with cars. Some more than most,thats the luck of the draw, but Merc for me has been reliable and whats more important is you feel good driving one.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
This is my 6th Merc. I started on a lowly C class back in 94, through 4 E classes going through the varients, classic, elegance then avantgarde. Im now driving an ML 320cdi sport. I love Mercs. In a mad moment I drove a BMW X3 for a year. Ok car but Merc is the best. You will always get problems with cars. Some more than most,thats the luck of the draw, but Merc for me has been reliable and whats more important is you feel good driving one.

I think that is a very fair assumption :D:D

silverw140

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w140 s500,w123 230ce,w123 280e,W123 280te, W123 250,W123 230,w123 230 saloon,W116 450sel 6.9
mercs

ive had more than i care to remember but including w168,w126,w124,w210,w220,w140,w201,w202,w208. but im stuck on w123,s at the moment i was given a peugeot 206 hdi a couple of years ago and as much as it pains me to say its a fantastic vehicle and has given no issue,s whatsoever, economy is tremendous build quality less so but it just keeps going.
w123,s are different ball game completely. ive currently got 4 so they must have something.

OP
B

brick10

Hi

I have just bought my 5th Mercedes,
my first was: 1998 230C Compressor
second was: CLK 2000 320
third was: C Class 320 Coupe
fourth was: SL R129 320, and
yesterday bought SL500 R230

and inbetween had a BMW E36 2.8 convertable but soon went back to Mercedes.

Hertfordshire Merx

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160
Without being big headed I have lost count now of how many I have owned over the years. I currently run a CLK Convertible, C Class and a Smart Car.

I have owned 3 BMW's and I do have to say that without a doubt I prefer Mercedes-Benz for their engineering, build quality, ride, finish, innovation and to be a snob, their status! You don't see BMW's pulling up to red carpets outside celebrity do's, they're always Maybach's, S Class' or a Mercedes people carrier of whatever model.

zenman63

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML63 AMG slk 350 slk 55 AMG
I have had a few, started with a 108D, then V280 and a new C270cdi, a C180, a C250TD, C200K, C200Coupe, 111 Vito compact , 115 Auto Vito long, 120 Vito sport compact.

The Pan Man

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 E 500 A/G Classic colour combination.
I just counted up how many cars my personal plate has been on including the E 500 it's 5 and 4 of them were / are Mercedes, Do you think that someone is trying to tell me something?

Rufi Parpan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1992 230E A/T
I've owned (only) old Mercs: an '88 230E A/T, an '84 230E A/T and now a '92 230E A/T. I did have an E30 once but I only kept it for four months after which I gave it back to the previous owner.

I prefer older cars so this is also probably a slanted statement; but I do like the older Mercs over the older Beemers too. As I've only owned Merc sedans, next on my list is a W124 Estate.

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
The w124 estate is a lovely car

OP
E

Elwood Blues

We have had 1 MB but taking delivery of another this week. In between we have had 2 BMW's (E46 M3 Cabrio with SMG and E46 318i Tourer).

M3 was an entirely different beast from either MB or the other BM, so not comparable.

E300 was ours from new, massively comfortable but so is my sofa. Not a very exciting drive, but quality was good and my good lady liked it so we planned to keep it for ever. Had no issues until the fuel tank started to rot and after spending about £1500 identifying/fixing the problem someone drove into the back of us on the M25 car park and the car was written off with only 110k on the clock :mad:

Forced to change, we realised we didn't need quite such a big sofa, so looked for a C Class but couldn't find one that was a patch on the 318i we found as an alternative. More fun to drive than the e300 certainly, but still comfortable for long journeys on motorways. Then a few faults developed that with 84k on the clock we didn't fancy paying to get fixed on a 12 year old car as past experience meant it would probably be written off a week later.

Found the C180k and was very impressed by the responsiveness and the feel of the cabin, looking forward to getting to know it better this week.

Overall BMW used to be more of a driver's car, but MB seems to me to have caught up a bit on that, and the styling of the Merc Estate is a bit more elegant IMHO, but only when the trim is Avantgarde not "wood".

Last edited by a moderator:

john-f

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004. CL500 2004.
I have had four:

A mid 1980s 280 estate, which was lovely vehicle (complete with roof bars that looked like chrome plumbing) until I loaned it a friend, who wrote it off. I even liked its unfortunate green colour.

Late model SLK 230 that was great apart from its rough engine. I should of had a 320 and it would have been perfect. From observation, I think I was the only owner of an SLK that drove it with the roof down.

Currently I have a beautiful 40,000 mile, 1998 SL500 tucked up in my garage. Compared the snouty new SL model it looks so timeless and elegant.

Lastly there is a 2004 CL500 that is used quite a lot. It a fabulous car in every way and surprisingly fuel efficient as long as it is not driven in town. I keep it because it has a full Merc warranty that can be renewed every year, otherwise the potential costs of a repair would be too scary to contemplate. Having said that it has been reliable.

J

C16RKC

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Your Mercedes
2003 CL500, 2007 S320CDi
I'm on my first Merc, had a BMW 5-series years ago and was very happy with it but very differnt sort of car to the Merc. Both fantastic in their own way I think. The 5-series (E34 1992) was just so reliable.

Surprisingly I see everyone here seems to be either BMW or Merc and stay within the german brands. I might be the only one who has actually grown up with Jags (I've had 5 of them over the last 10 years, since I was 21).

Then again Jags are a different breed yet again... I think it;s just personal taste.

No matter what the brand, the dealers are only polite to you when they are about to take money from you and they are near to no hope when you have a problem. That goes for BMW, Jaguar and Mercedes (and so I'm told Audi too..) in my experience... sure it's the same with all the others.

I think it's all down to what you feel when you drive the car!

7810 red

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 T reg C220 CDI , SLK200K (03)
My first Merc was newly imported on UK spec. in 1999 and I am still driving it - a C220CDI. No major cost except the annual service by an independent garage.
3 years ago, I bought my wife an SLK200. It was improted by the first owner in 2002 and registered in 03. We are happy with it. I did some very minor modification on the screen washer as the bonnet keeps blocking part of the spray pattern, I managed to get the lorry/bus type wipers where the screen washer supply goes on the arms and they work beautifully.
I am already retired and the C220CDI will probably see me through for the rest of my life and the SLK will most likely be given to members of my family when I no longer able to drive in a few years time.

c15htn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'00 A208 CLK320 Convertible.
I would write the list of bm & mercs that i and my assortment of wives have had:Oops:
It totals about 6 bms and 5 mercs.
My two C class 240's were company cars, as was the 320i, so had to be dealer maintained, everything else was around 10 years old so locally fettled.

The two most dissapointing were the '98 C and the '96 bm320. company cars as they were quite for the middle management company lease market and simply put they felt cheap because based on their predecessors they were cheap! Built by balance sheet i feel.

My favourite Merc was the ex's '99 E class 240...... Best bm was the E30 M3..... But they are very different cars aimed at very different markets, all the bm's have been tight, hard riding sporty sprung cars, where as the Mercs always feel like long legged cruisers in comparison.

Even our current CLK feels more of a Grand Tourer, compared to the 525 it replaced.

All dealers are e equally capable of employing 18 year olds and being totally unhelpful..... I really do think that Mercs and BM's are totally different beasts....... Dealers are all pretty ****** awful!
And now my company car is a Vauxhall Zafira...... They really ARE cheap and the dealers are amazing (ly bad). 'nuff said:shock:
Rant over
Jim

Christian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w205 AMG Edition, Panasonic washing machine :)
had 2 C's: C230k and C200k , both sport with all the toys. C230k sold.

Christian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w205 AMG Edition, Panasonic washing machine :)
Will buy another one soon:)

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom